PDA

View Full Version : Strat Buzzing

natethegreat424
February 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Recently I inherited a Fender Strat from my fiance's DAD. Its pretty much brand new. He had it for several months and I know it was taken care of very well. However recently I've been noticing some pretty annoying buzzing on the open B, G, and D strings. Its not overwhelming however its def noticeable. I'm pretty sure it is nothing like accidental contact with the frets b/c I went through each fret and the only time there was buzzing was when they were open. *Note: the buzzing occurs with and without an amp so I know its not an amp issue.

To me it sounds like its coming from the bridge/saddle... Awhile ago my friend was trying to explain the importance of tuning the bridge screws (if that is the proper name) but I'm not sure of the correct way to do that. Could an incorrectly tuned saddle cause buzzing? If so they how should I go about adjusting them. If not what other possible issues could cause this? Thanks.

markb
February 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Is it fret buzz or a mechanical rattle? For fret buzz you may need to raise the action using the saddle screws or increase the neck relief by slackening the truss rod. It's also possible for strat height adjustment screws to come loose over time. Check they're all in contact with the bridge plate.

natethegreat424
February 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Is it fret buzz or a mechanical rattle? For fret buzz you may need to raise the action using the saddle screws or increase the neck relief by slackening the truss rod. It's also possible for strat height adjustment screws to come loose over time. Check they're all in contact with the bridge plate.

Thanks, yea I'm gonna try messing with it a bit however since I'm not very proficient at guitar maintenance yet I may bring it by the local shop tomorrow if I can't get it figured out.

PS. its already starting to sound a little bit better

TS808
February 20th, 2009, 07:48 PM
A good guide on how to set up a strat can be found on Fender's site in the support section. Or just do a google search for strat set-up. It could be a number of issues, whether fret buzz, poorly intonated saddles, etc. The neck might even be too straight.

Look for a good set up guide on the web.

Gil Janus
February 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Here's the Fender Stratocaster Adjustment and Care (http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php) page. It lists all tools, and goes thru the steps to do a setup of a Strat.

Hopefully this helps somewhat,

Gil :cool:

wingsdad
February 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
....since I'm not very proficient at guitar maintenance yet I may bring it by the local shop tomorrow if I can't get it figured out.

That's your best bet, nate. Assuming it's a friendly local shop that will let you, sit there with the tech and watch, ask questions, have the tech explain why, etc. If they can't/won't do that and make you leave it for set up cuz they're busy or whatnot, then when you return to pick it up, ask what was done, how and why.

Then you'll be on your way to understanding what tips there are in setup guide books and websites so you can DIY.

Guitar-Chris
February 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
and the only time there was buzzing was when they were open.

Please check the saddle hight first: Press the string in the third fret (i.e. between fret 2 and 3) an look if there is a gap between the first fret and the string. The string should not lay on the top of the fret. There should be a minimal gap between the pressed string and the first fret. If it lays on the fret, the nut of the saddle is cut down to deep.

If it is ok, check the bow of the neck. Press down the first and last fet (perhaps use a capo for this). There should be a gapoif around 0.3 mm between the strings and the 8th fret. If it is much more, turn the trussrod clockwise to get the neck more plain. If it is less or even zero gap, turn the trussrod counterclockweise to get more "bow".

At last, set the string hight to the low E string at about 2 mm, measured when pressed in the first fret. Set the high e-string a little bit lower (1,8 mm).

That should be a good starting point for further adjustment.

A tip: Turn the pickups down when setting the guitar up. Hear if something is buzzing after setup. If it is ok, turn the pickups to normal hight again. Sometimes the magnetic field is inducting buzz on the strings (in Germany we call this "Stratitis" because it occures in strats most times).

ZMAN
February 22nd, 2009, 07:21 AM
If you are a rookie at set ups I would take it to a good tech. They will find the problem, and since you inherited the guitar you will not be out much money.
I have had several "dogs" that have turned into sweet playing axes after a good set up. There are several types of Fender bridge and there are just too many variables that can cause buzzing. It could be a couple of high frets, or something loose, neck relief. Just make sure you let the tech know what you like in the action of a guitar. Some like it high some like it low. That will make it much easier to play when you get it back.

Danzego
February 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Nate, I'd like you to try something. This probably won't work, since you said that you hear it both with the amp on and off, but still, I was having a similar issue with my Strat.

When you pluck the buzzing string, try laying your finger gently (as in just a touch) over the string behind the nut and see if that makes the buzzing sound go away. :)

Iago
February 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
What Chris said, and Nate, I´m almost pretty sure it´s the nut.

natethegreat424
February 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for everything fellas. I messed with it a bit over the weekend being really careful. I haven't touched the truss rod yet but it may not be necessary for the buzzing has diminished a great bit already after adjusting the scale length with the saddles. I tested out the innotation and it seems on point. I went through the whole making sure that the open strings are in proper tune as well as when they are fretted at the 12th fret. Given your recommendations, the string height also checked out to be ok. With that said, I don't think I'll take it to the shop just yet however I do see the merit in having a professional explain the process in person.

Although my problem seems solved for now I'm gonna continue researching this and trying out the different techniques you all listed out. I've got a lot of learning to do however I know its worth while because being able to properly adjust your own guitar is pretty useful.