PDA

View Full Version : Am I burned out?

kiteman
February 20th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I feel like I'm really burned out on guitar. Seems I lost interest.

I got the good stuff, plenty of tones, and 3 big books (guitar whites pages) for study. I haven't opened those books yet because I don't feel like learning new stuff.

Also the stuff that I've learned is fading away and all I remember is a few old songs, chords (actually shapes), and scales. I made up for it by improvising a lot and had a lot of good jams. Now it ain't fun because I'm forgetting stuff.

I can't let a day go by without picking up the guitar but lately I'm sucking at it.

I have depression (and a spinal disease to boot) but I played my guitar and it lifts my spirits. Lately not no more.

Right now it sucks to be me. :(

ted s
February 21st, 2009, 12:33 AM
It's temporary my friend, we all get like that. Try not to dwell on it, it will return. Maybe take a break for a week, don't even touch your guitars, then see what happens. If your taking meds, keep on it, do what's right, it will all be good. :AOK:

Katastrophe
February 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Burnout happens. It's normal.

Walk away for a little bit. Get out, see friends, do anything but play guitar for a little while.

Are you on meds for the depression? It may be time for a checkup with the doctor.

Any other stressful things going on? If so, that may affect the guitar playing...

ZMAN
February 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
I was on vacation for two weeks and never touched a guitar. Since I have been home I have played twice a day. The only problem is the two weeks softened my hands and they are sore. I was a little slower to react but it came back pretty quick. This is when you SHOULD be learning new things. They will get you started again.

M29
February 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
I always get new ideas and things to progress with on the guitar from taking time off. I am always amazed when this happens. I push hard for a long time and then when I have to get a way from it, it is all fresh again. Now I purposely get away from it every now and then and it works.

Bloozcat
February 21st, 2009, 07:03 AM
Think about what it would be like if you suddenly couldn't play guitar, even if you wanted to. Like your ability to play was suddenly gone due to an accident or something similar.

It's not so important to be great so much as it is to be happy. Playing music should always at it's core, bring happiness and fulfillment to the musician.

And as to those three big books of guitar lessons...the journey of 1000 miles begins with one step. And it's the journey that brings enlightenment, knowledge, and fulfillment, not the destination.

kiteman
February 21st, 2009, 07:35 AM
Yes, I am being treated for depression and taking meds for it. I think I'm going through a spell so I guess it's vacation time. That hadn't happened to me before and that my forgeting stuff is bothering me.

By the way Blooz, those books are tab books, 450 songs worth. :)

oldguy
February 21st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Kiteman, you may just be in a rut with the guitar playing right now.
Maybe try opening those books and learning a new thing. That has helped me before. If that doesn't do it and you need to shelve the music for awhile, try something else new. At one point I put the guitar away and did wood carving and glass etching for a long time. When I got out the guitar it was fun again. You may just need a break or a new hobby for a little while.
And there's usually something to do right here with your friends, we always got something going on you can join in on just for fun. We can talk about something besides guitar, something else that interests you.

As for your original question "am I burned out?" only you can answer that for sure, but given your situation you may be bummed out right now. I agree with the others, a checkup with the doc might help, at least let him know what's up.

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Think about what it would be like...

Everything you said nailed it.:AOK:

TS808
February 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
All of get in ruts, whether it's a personal rut, or a rut with guitar playing.

Many of us, myself included, are our own worst critics when it comes to playing guitar.

When I hit a rut, whether personal or with the guitar, it's time to do something different. Even with working out, when I feel like I've hit a stale point, it might be time to take a break from working out, or change my routine and make it fun.

Same with guitar....for me, if I was constantly "studying" it would get old real fast.

Lately, I've been jamming along with backing tracks alot since I'm a "basement player". It's alot more fun than practicing scales, learning tab, noodling around with no direction, etc.

Make it fun. Change directions and try something different.

kiteman
February 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. :)

I guess I'm depressed because my life is mundane. All I have is my guitar, my tv, and my computer. At 59, I don''t really have any friends left.

Either I need to see my doctor and change the dosage or all that stuff caught up to me.

Duh, what a lousy feeling. I'm itching to pick up my guitar but I'm not in the mood.

Rocket
February 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys. :)

I guess I'm depressed because my life is mundane. All I have is my guitar, my tv, and my computer. At 59, I don''t really have any friends left.

Either I need to see my doctor and change the dosage or all that stuff caught up to me.

Duh, what a lousy feeling. I'm itching to pick up my guitar but I'm not in the mood.
You need to get up and get out and be around some people. Treat yourself to a night out... do anything, but do something now!

tjcurtin1
February 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'll add one more thought to the excellent suggestions here - you might find some satisfaction and connections with people by finding a local volunteering situation to put some time into. It'll put you in touch with other (usually nice) folks, and give you the satisfaction that comes with the feedback you get that you, your time and efforts are valued and appreciated - a bit different from what you might get from a job. Anyway, hang in - this too will pass...

Jimi75
February 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Kiteman, guitar playing is what you love, guitar playing is what let you be free from all stress you experienced. Sometimes the popular guitar medicine doesn't work and loses a bit of its power ;)
A break is what you really need, step away from the guitar until you feel a yearing for playing again. Believe me, this period will not last very long and you'll feel great again to play some decent chords and hear the old 6 string scram for you.

I have experienced this situation so many times and found out that I tend to get in such situations when my goal setting is waek. I mean guitar goals. No matter how many books you have with whatever material to learn - buying such stuff is not setting a goal (think about it!). Take your time and determine what is the smallest thing in your playing that bothers you. Then take a break and when you get back to playing start with eleminating this thing that bothers you. Write a guitar playing log every day with your progress. No matter if your guitar playing was good or bad that day. Write it down, it helps, believe me.

All the best to you and don't worry too much, we all love the guitar but there is so many more important things in life!!!!

Jimi75

Radioboy950
February 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Kite...
Don't fret. If you don't want to jam right now, that's OK. Eventually, something will serve as the spark, and you'll be right back at it.
For me, I found jamming with others (or backing tracks if that's not possible), or recording some riffs and ideas for future work, is very helpful.
Doesn't have to be complete songs.
Pretty soon, you'll have a giant catalog of ideas that can keep you busy for years.
:)

R_of_G
February 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Just to echo what many others have said, the rut hits us all and it always passes in time. Just like with anything else you do all the time, sometimes you need a break from it and when you return to it, it'll bring you happiness again, maybe even more than before because it will be fresh and new again.

I wouldn't worry all that much either about forgetting what you knew. It'll come back to you. It's muscle memory. Once you play it again a few times, it'll start to seem familiar again.

kiteman
February 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys I'm feeling better today. I looked at my guitar today and thought, naw leave it alone, I need a break. Is that addiction or what? :whatever:

I just took off today. I got in my car and drove around. Went to hock shops and look around, go pay my bills, and did some grocery shopping. When I got home my books are here from StewMac.

I'm really sore from moving around so much but I feel better. I think the house is the rut, not my guitar. I hardly ever leave the damn house.

I doubled up on my Vicodin, put an extra one in my pocket and kicked my own butt out of the house. That worked but I don't think I can do that very often. :)

Yea, I feel better. Talking to you guys helped too, I guess I was a bit lonely. :beer:

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
THE UP SIDE: Think of us as friends and you don't have to worry that we will eat all your food and drink all the beer.

THE DOWN SIDE: We won't help you move.

Rocket
February 21st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Human contact is somehow very important to humans... weird.

Most all of society's problems are directly related to human contact with other humans... and yet we are driven to seek it out... talk about evil necessity!

ZMAN
February 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
I'll tell you something. I hurt my back when I was on vacation. I was playing in the pool and twisted something. The more I sat around the worse it got. I got off my donkey and started walking on the beach and on Friday when I got back home to Canada I played hockey for two hours. I am 61 and the two weeks in the sun in Florida and the exercise made all the difference. When I got home I craved my guitar and I feel like I have been pumped up with life.

kiteman
February 22nd, 2009, 07:10 AM
You sound like quite an athlete. :)

Me, I'm just a fat lazy no good bum. :D

Naw really, I'm disabled. :whatever:

It'd really be nice to get pumped up with life.

TS808
February 22nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
I'll tell you something. I hurt my back when I was on vacation. I was playing in the pool and twisted something. The more I sat around the worse it got. I got off my donkey and started walking on the beach and on Friday when I got back home to Canada I played hockey for two hours. I am 61 and the two weeks in the sun in Florida and the exercise made all the difference. When I got home I craved my guitar and I feel like I have been pumped up with life.

Good post...exercise might be the most under-rated therapy out there.

During the winter, I go through those seasonal blues, and what helps most is staying active through working out or just getting my butt out of the house.

I think too when you have that diversity (exercise, guitar, other activities), it balances things out well too; that way we're not spending too much time doing one thing.

kiteman
February 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Good post...exercise might be the most under-rated therapy out there.

During the winter, I go through those seasonal blues, and what helps most is staying active through working out or just getting my butt out of the house.

I think too when you have that diversity (exercise, guitar, other activities), it balances things out well too; that way we're not spending too much time doing one thing.

I thought I had enough diversity, guitar, computer and tv. :rotflmao:

Yea, I need to get out more. :dude:

ted s
February 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Not sure where you are Kiteman, but the winter blahs suck around here. Keep doing the right things, eat well and try to suck up some sunshine. My wife picked up one of those tabletop sized led sunlight substitute thingy lights, a couple 15 minute shots of that during the day can help wonders.

kiteman
February 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Yea, what I've been doing. Got a chair outside I just plop in and watch cars drive by while soaking up the sun. That works. :)

Man, the weather here is crazy, hot and cold over and over. :(

Rocket
February 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Man, the weather here is crazy, hot and cold over and over. :(
No one knows where "here" is... you haven't revealed that.

kiteman
February 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
San Antonio, Texas

that's where. :dude:

Rocket
February 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
San Antonio, Texas that's where.
I'd be depressed too!

kiteman
February 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I'd be depressed too!

You got it. :dude:

This city's the pits.

Bloozcat
February 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Well, it could be worse...a lot worse...

It could be this exact time in San Antonio...in 1836...

Think about it...your problems are very manageable by comparison..

kiteman
February 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Well, it could be worse...a lot worse...

It could be this exact time in San Antonio...in 1836...

And you thought it was over? ;)

Bloozcat
February 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM
And you thought it was over? ;)

:rotflmao:

Good point, I hadn't thought about that!