PDA

View Full Version : Coming up on New Cell Phone Time

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
My son fried his battery in his cell phone. While the battery still works, it has a hump in the middle and doesn't hold a charge as it should. I gave him my battery and am using his (for some reason it fits better in my phone, although we have the same model).

Anyway, I was going to get a new battery, but since I'm due for a new phone in May, the $40 for the battery seems like a waste. I am going to have my old phone activated until May.

That said, anyone get a new phone recently that they would recommend? I am not one for all the bells and whistles that come with the high cost (another skill level thing). I was thinking about

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4167

or

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4226&changingCompletedOrder=

Tibernius
February 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM
While the battery still works, it has a hump in the middle and doesn't hold a charge as it should. I gave him my battery and am using his (for some reason it fits better in my phone, although we have the same model).

Anyway, I was going to get a new battery, but since I'm due for a new phone in May, the $40 for the battery seems like a waste...

If it's a Lithium-Polymer or Lithium-Ion battery, ditch it and get a new one. If it has changed shape, chances are one of the cells has been damaged, which would also explain why it's not holding a charge. A battery with a damaged cell is a major fire risk every time it's charged.

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM
If it's a Lithium-Polymer or Lithium-Ion battery, ditch it and get a new one. If it has changed shape, chances are one of the cells has been damaged, which would also explain why it's not holding a charge. A battery with a damaged cell is a major fire risk every time it's charged.

I'm switching over to my old phone in the next hour. I'll use the old phone, a very dependable phone, until it's time to get my free upgrade in May. When I call to activate the old phone, I'll see about getting the free upgrade sooner - threatening to go to another provider usually does the job.:D

peachhead
February 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
I had a different Samsung flip (which apparently is no longer available) for my last phone and it was great. It took it's share of abuse and never even blinked. I would have gotten another but I got a good deal on a Voyager. My brother has an LG (I think it's that one) and he likes it- it is an amazingly light phone.

Kazz
February 22nd, 2009, 07:10 AM
I guess we are too late to make sure that by changing phones you do not lose your ability for the free upgrade in May. Sprint did that to us twice.....I am now with ATT and it is a company paid phone. I will never do business with Sprint/Nextel again.

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 07:15 AM
I switched over to my Motorola E815. It's a great basic phone with large screen and easy to read numbers (for us that don't have the eye sight of yesteryear).

I couldn't talk them into a new phone, but I didn't press it since I have a suitable back-up.

I think I found the phone I will be getting in May when I do my upgrade.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4406

Features I am looking for:

Battery Life: LG VX8360 has a rated battery life of 5.26 hours of talk time and 26.7 days of standby time. (I hate having to charge a battery every two to three days.)

Sound Clarity: This is from a review that tests all phones under same conditions in San Francisco - We were very impressed with the call quality. The VX8360 comes with "Voice Clarity" feature that helps to adjust the voice level based on the surrounding noise and, according to our callers, it worked. They could hear us loud and clear even in a variety of situations--in the office, in a crowded restaurant, and inside a car. On our end, we could hear them very clearly as well.

I prefer a clam shell design over the open face cell like a Blackberry. You can now get Blackberries for free, but the attraction for me isn't there. I'm suppose to get a company phone, but I am not pushing it because they are Blackberries. I didn't find one Blackberry or Blackberry style phone that received a good rating for battery life or talk clarity. They all seemed to be rated "fair" unless it was the review written by the manufacturer.

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I guess we are too late to make sure that by changing phones you do not lose your ability for the free upgrade in May. Sprint did that to us twice.....I am now with ATT and it is a company paid phone. I will never do business with Sprint/Nextel again.

I doubt if I lost the upgrade since it comes with two year agreement and I didn't agree to anything. If they try to pull that, I don't agree to a two year deal in May and I can assure you they won't be willing to lose a contract over free phones (we have 4 phones).

I'm with Verizon and always had great service when dealing with them (although they have needed some persuading from time-to-time or as I like to say "Hammer Time"). As for phone service, I agree with the commercial, they are #1 at least in this area. I never have problems with bad connection or dropped calls.

bigoldron
February 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
I doubt if I lost the upgrade since it comes with two year agreement and I didn't agree to anything. If they try to pull that, I don't agree to a two year deal in May and I can assure you they won't be willing to lose a contract over free phones (we have 4 phones).

I'm with Verizon and always had great service when dealing with them (although they have needed some persuading from time-to-time or as I like to say "Hammer Time"). As for phone service, I agree with the commercial, they are #1 at least in this area. I never have problems with bad connection or dropped calls.

Verizon usually doesn't give you any grief about swapping phones. Neither does Alltel. Good luck finding a phone you like. I just want one that works. 'Course, living where I live, it's no guarantee on anything "high tech" like cell phones. :thwap:

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Verizon usually doesn't give you any grief about swapping phones. Neither does Alltel. Good luck finding a phone you like. I just want one that works. 'Course, living where I live, it's no guarantee on anything "high tech" like cell phones. :thwap:

On Jan 9th Verizon completed the purchase of Alltel, but has yet to really merge the two in the way of calling plans and phone selection.

Cottonwood King
February 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Well, I'm glad you probably found the one you're getting. I was going to recommend the LG dare until you said you didn't want an open faced phone:D That's the phone my wife and I have and we're really happy with them. Did you get your reviews on those from Cnet? if so, good choice, that's where I go to find out about all those gadgets I want... For guitar gear, though, they're not the best.

Kazz
February 22nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Strum,

I have a blackberry curve 8310. The cons to me are the screen scratches pretty easily, and they do not provide any screen guards (mylar film type stuff) in the box when it comes...you can buy those pretty cheaply from aftermarket retailers.

My hearing is not the greatest from years of loud music and shooting guns without hearing protection.

The blackberry is the first phone I have had that I do not have any problems hearing conversations or the phone ringing. Until I got my new Ipod Nano, I was using the blackberry as an mp3 player too. On average I charge it once a week.

I will agree that the blackberry is not for everybody...but I love mine. I also like having work and personal email access anywhere I go. The phone is built like a tank and gets the job done for me.

So there is a positive review for you by someone not related to the manufacturer or retailer.

My boss on the other hand has a collection of Motorola Razr phones in his desk and cabinet in the even his dies...so he just swap sim cards and be underway. He is avoiding the switch to blackberry like the plague. Those who like it...love it....those who do not...hate it.

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
..you can buy those pretty cheaply from aftermarket retailers.

I can get the 8130 for free, but I don't want one. As for the 8310, your review is the only one I read that was favorable for the features that I am concerned with.

If the company wants me to stay in touch with them, customers, and suppliers, they can buy me a phone for that purpose.

ted s
February 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Speaking of Blackberry, can anyone recommend a source for refurbed' units ?

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Speaking of Blackberry, can anyone recommend a source for refurbed' units ?

You can check e-bay or do a search on Google. Some of the "best price" pages will pull up refurb suppliers - you will have to go by their rating.

You might also check with your carrier, I know Verizon sometimes offers refurbs at a discount.