PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Selling Guitars

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I was trying to locate the top 10 selling electric guitars ever, but wasn't able to locate what I wanted. So for the purpose of conversation, dispute, and the typical comments, I give you:

These are currently the top selling electric guitars at Guitar Center.

1. Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar
2. Gibson Custom Shop ES-339 with 30/60 Neck Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar
3. Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Electric Guitar
4. Gretsch Guitars G5120 Electromatic Hollowbody Electric Guitar
5. Epiphone Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar
6. Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Electric Guitar
7. Gibson Custom Shop ES-339 with ‘59 Rounded Profile Neck Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar
8. Gibson Melody Maker Dual Pickup Electric Guitar
9. Gibson Les Paul Classic Electric Guitar
10. Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Stratocaster Electric Guitar

These are currently the top 10 best-selling electric guitars selling for over $3,000 at Guitar Center.

1. Gibson Custom Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar
2. Gibson Custom Shop 50th Anniversary 1958 Les Paul Standard Flame Top Electric Guitar
3. Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 Electric Guitar With Flame Top
4. Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar
5. Gibson Custom Shop 1968 Les Paul Custom Chambered Electric Guitar
6. Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS Electric Guitar
7. Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Reissue “Aged” Electric Guitar
8. Gibson Custom Shop Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Electric Guitar
9. Gibson Custom Shop 1968 Les Paul Custom 5A Quilt Top Electric Guitar
10. Gibson Custom Les Paul Custom Left-Handed Electric Guitar

Blaze
February 21st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well , where is the best guitar ever made , the Fender Stratocaster ????

R_of_G
February 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
17 out of 20 are Gibsons (or Epi's)! Take that Fender. :rotflmao:
By the way, I'm kidding. I love my Gibson, but I love my Strat as well and I would be more than happy to add a Tele to my collection.

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM
17 out of 20 are Gibsons (or Epi's)! Take that Fender. :rotflmao:
By the way, I'm kidding. I love my Gibson, but I love my Strat as well and I would be more than happy to add a Tele to my collection.

I'm not that surprised that Gibson is so popular, but I would have thought Fender would make a better showing.

What I was actually looking for is some sort of number based on world sales, not a specific store. Since this is all I found....

Gil Janus
February 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
From Musician's Friend:

Absolute top 10 Electric Guitars:

1.EVH Wolfgang Electric Guitar
2.Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar
3.Fender American Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar
4.Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Electric Guitar
5.Fender Stop Dreaming Start Playing SE Special Strat Pack With Squier SP-10 Amp
6.Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Maple Top Electric Guitar
7.Ibanez RGT42DX Electric Guitar
8.Epiphone Limited Edition Wilshire Electric Guitar
9.Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom
10.Gretsch Guitars G5120 Electromatic Hollowbody Electric Guitar

Top 10 over $3000:

1.EVH Wolfgang Electric Guitar
2.Gibson Custom Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar
3.Fender Custom Shop Yngwie Malmsteen Tribute Stratocaster Electric Guitar
4.Gibson Custom EDS-1275 Double-Neck Electric Guitar
5.Rickenbacker 381/12V69 Vintage Series 12-String Electric Guitar
6.Gibson Custom Engraved Les Paul Special - one of a kind Electric Guitar
7.Gibson Custom Jeff Beck 1954 Les Paul Oxblood Electric Guitar — VOS
8.Fender Custom Shop David Gilmour Signature Stratocaster Electric Guitar
9.Gibson Custom Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar
10.Rickenbacker 325C64 Miami C Series Electric Guitar

A pretty eclectic mix - Gibson still out sells everyone else, but #1 in each list is a guitar made by Fender for EVH.

My favorite is #5 on the best seller list - a Squier package :AOK: Take that Mr. Gibson :poke:

Gil :cool:

Suhnton
February 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM
A pretty eclectic mix - Gibson still out sells everyone else, but #1 in each list is a guitar made by Fender for EVH.

I'm confused. Why do some sites list it as a Fender, and others as a Peavey? :confused:

That's quite surprising it's the #1 seller. You'd think buyers would belong to a secific demographic i.e EVH fans. They're nice looking guitars either way.

Rocket
February 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
From Musician's Friend:
Musician's Friend IS Guitar Center!
(as is a long list of other stores.)

wingsdad
February 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
That's quite surprising it's the #1 seller. You'd think buyers would belong to a secific demographic i.e EVH fans. ...

Just cuz it's the #1 seller doesn't necessarily mean they sell a boatload of them. Or any other of the guitars on the top 10 lists here. One list has 6 models of Gibson/Epi Les Paul.

If Gibson still only made the LP Standard and Custom, avaiilable with options and finish choices, and if Fender still only made 1 Stratocaster model (with options, such as hardtail bridge) as they did until 1980, instead of the myriad of niche demographic LP's and Strats that they've brought to market over the past 25 yeras, only to discontinue them, come up with a new niche model, a reissue, a relic'd job, signature models, ad infinatum....

yeah, I know, if the world stopped turning....

Point is, group all the niche models together and you have a Les Paul, a Stratocaster, a Telecaster, a 335, and then a bunch of clones.

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM

I'm sure they keep separate sales records, like corporate divisions.

I also didn't see anything that would date those lists and they only represent what the store sold and part of that is based on availability.

Rocket
February 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
I don't think I'd trust GC's stats to be anything close to accurate... I can't see them sponsoring any official survey. Everything they do is sales driven... What do you think they'd rather be selling, $3000 EVH's or $400 Epi LP's?

Spudman
February 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'm confused. Why do some sites list it as a Fender, and others as a Peavey? :confused:

The confusion is understandable. The original was made by Musicman then Peavey and now Fender. They are all basically an offshoot of the first design the Axis. It might be that retailers still have inventory of the Peaveys and are still listing those instead of the Fenders which are the newest version. (shrug)

just strum
February 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Here you go - more top 10 lists

http://www.gearpipe.com/best-selling-musical-instruments/

Gil Janus
February 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM
I know that - but each of the companies appear to be run as separate objects - I've bought from MF - they seem to be nicer than GC - I've never been in a GC - the closest one to me is 3 hours driving - each direction - not worth it unless they were giving away guitars and amps.

The best seller lists are different from GC and MF - quite different.

Gil Janus
February 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM

That's quite surprising it's the #1 seller. You'd think buyers would belong to a secific demographic i.e EVH fans. They're nice looking guitars either way.
The EVH Wolfgang that is for sale at MF appears to be the NEW one, ie, the one done by FMIC. It is labeled NEW, looks just like the one on the evhgear website - so I'm assuming (I know big mistake) that it is the Fender one.

markb
February 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
Well , where is the best guitar ever made , the Fender Stratocaster ????

Says a man with a tele in his avatar??? :)

Ro3b
February 22nd, 2009, 05:40 AM
6.Gibson Custom Engraved Les Paul Special - one of a kind Electric Guitar

I don't understand how a one-of-a-kind guitar could be on a best seller list.

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
From what I can tell the list were put together late 07, however I can't tell if it is for a month, year, or all time sales.

It really doesn't matter, it's only sales records from two stores under one ownership.

kiteman
February 22nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Too bad they don't sell Carvins, they'll break all the records. :D

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Here is yet another list that it appears someone is starting. They ask for people to send in info on guitars, but not sure how they are actually able to rank the makes of guitar.

http://allelectricguitar.com/List-of-Electric-Guitar-Brands.html

This is one of those stupid things that now has me curious if there is a list out there that has compiled actual sales numbers on new electric guitars. Since so many makes are out there, I would like to find one that is from a recent 1 to 5 year time period.

Edit: well, it is not by popularity as it notes - click on Washburn and read the statement.

just strum
February 22nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
I sent an e-mail to Gibson and Fender to see if maybe they have some sort of records they can share. I requested a list of how they stack up in sales, not what is their best selling models.

If nothing else, we will see who has better response time.

kiteman
February 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Wow, top 100 and only 23 listed?

EDIT: I just remembered, at Harmony Central under user reviews you can see the list of guitar brands and I mean lots of 'em. :)

Ch0jin
February 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
This is one of those stupid things that now has me curious if there is a list out there that has compiled actual sales numbers on new electric guitars. Since so many makes are out there, I would like to find one that is from a recent 1 to 5 year time period.

Well if you have the cash to support your curiosity, I'd bet a company like GFK (http://www.gfk.com.au/) could provide you such a list. In my (now previous) role I used to purchase data from GFK that listed every single new PC sold in Australia. I'd bet they, or a similar company would have sell through data on musical equipment. Heck I might go ask them actually. If they don't, there's an idea for a new business right there.

duhvoodooman
February 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
I don't think I'd trust GC's stats to be anything close to accurate... I can't see them sponsoring any official survey. Everything they do is sales driven... What do you think they'd rather be selling, $3000 EVH's or $400 Epi LP's?
+1.

This list is a complete fairy tale. Looks more like the "Top 10 Guitars We'd Like You to Buy". No Mexican Strat listed?? None of the Squiers? C'mon, let's get real. We all know that the cheaper guitars are the big sellers, not this high-end stuff. All you have to do is scan through eBay or your local Craigslist to know what is "out there". Ridiculous.... :rolleyes:

Rocket
February 23rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Uh-huh... obviously NOTHING is reality-based anymore!

Ch0jin
February 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Uh-huh... obviously NOTHING is reality-based anymore!

.....except TV shows. :)

just strum
February 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Well, Gibson and Fender got back to me and neither will share sales information.

Someone out there has to have some accurate information, I'll just keep digging.

Rocket
February 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well, Gibson and Fender got back to me and neither will share sales information.

Someone out there has to have some accurate information, I'll just keep digging.
Why would any corp feel a need to share sales, (or any,) info with a consumer?
Given today's econimic profile, don't you think retail companies are running a bit scared & paranoid already?

just strum
February 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
Why would any corp feel a need to share sales, (or any,) info with a consumer?
Given today's econimic profile, don't you think retail companies are running a bit scared & paranoid already?

Most would be proud to report their sales. However, I wasn't asking for sales numbers (actual dollars), all I am looking for is top 10 sales of electric guitars over a known time period. I've never worked for a company that held their sales numbers from anyone that asked. We wouldn't give a breakdown, but a bottom line number, but again, that's not what I was asking either one of them.

It's a case that they don't know the answer to the question. The information may be available at Gibson or Fender, but the people responding aren't going to get off their *** to see if it is available. If I told them I would be buying 25 new gutiars ($3,000 ea level) I guarantee the information would suddenly be available.

Rocket
February 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
If I told them I would be buying 25 new gutiars ($3,000 ea level) I guarantee the information would suddenly be available.
Well... they'd certainly make something up to placate you.

just strum
February 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Well... they'd certainly make something up to placate you.

I'm sure they would.

peachhead
February 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
musictrades.com has a report they will be happy to sell you for $79. :whatever:

Ch0jin
February 24th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Most would be proud to report their sales. However, I wasn't asking for sales numbers (actual dollars), all I am looking for is top 10 sales of electric guitars over a known time period. I've never worked for a company that held their sales numbers from anyone that asked. We wouldn't give a breakdown, but a bottom line number, but again, that's not what I was asking either one of them.

That's actually quite interesting to hear, because in my former industry (PC vendor) there are only three ways we'd divulge actual sales units or revenue and thats either to a data company like IDC, GFK or Gartner who are always under strict NDA's, via an approved media release (very rare) and to other business who provide co-op marketing funding programs like Intel and Microsoft, and you guessed it, thats also under strict NDA. If anyone authorised to speak to the media was asked questions about revenue, sell in/sell through and so on we always gave very non-specific answers "Sales are booming right now for all vendors" "Channel activity is in a bit of a slump right now and I think we are all feeling the pinch" and so on. There is absolutely no chance someone could get in touch like you did and get the info you requested. It's a viciously competitive industry and everyone plays their cards close to their chests.

It's a case that they don't know the answer to the question. The information may be available at Gibson or Fender, but the people responding aren't going to get off their *** to see if it is available.

You are probably right that the person who received your request did not have access to the data you requested, and you're likely right that they aren't going to go get it for you either. I'd wager it's because they know it's against company policy.

If I told them I would be buying 25 new gutiars ($3,000 ea level) I guarantee the information would suddenly be available.

Maybe, maybe not. Again to use my industry as a guideline, if you'd said you needed sales data as a prerequisite to purchasing a number of products you'd have been directed to an account manager who would then get in touch to qualify the opportunity. If you identified yourself as an end user, at best you'd get whatever sales figures have been published. At worst you'd be redirected to a reseller. If you identified yourself as a reseller, you'd get nothing except publicly available data until you'd signed a contract including an NDA, at which point we'd still give you a very specific, narrow view of sales figures, and only as they relate to our channel strategy, for example we'd suggested ordering volumes based on sell through data of similar resellers and so forth.

Simply put, our sell in data is completely confidential and is always distributed under tight NDA's. If you want to see our sell through data you need to purchase reports from GFK or similar (which will run you around $20K/Yr) and you still wouldn't be able to publish that data.

Ah the corporate world :)

just strum
February 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ch0jin, I don't think they understood what I was looking for. As I stated from the beginning, I'm just looking for the top 10 selling electric guitars. That information I would think would be available at Gibson, Fender, and many others.

I assume that they thought I was after their actual sales figures ($$$), which would serve me no purpose, but they don't know that.

As for my background, it's in aerospace and the supporting suppliers right down to the tiny O-ring. The dollars are usually discussed as a show of success, and confidence of beating any potential competition. If the company is publicly owned, the information is readily available on the internet.

The bottom-line, the info is out there and it's my curiosity that has me going. It already been proven early on, the source of the information will give credence to the information's reliability.

My personal thought, over $2K - Gibson

Under $1,400 - probably Fender

Ch0jin
February 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Ch0jin, I don't think they understood what I was looking for. As I stated from the beginning, I'm just looking for the top 10 selling electric guitars. That information I would think would be available at Gibson, Fender, and many others.

I'd say you're right. Marketing and Sales people within both companies would have access to that data, and could probably tell you off the top of their heads what the hottest SKU's are for any vendor in their competitive space is, so a top ten should be a piece of cake. I'm betting though your email went to a lower echelon staff member who dumped it in the "too hard" basket because it wasn't a "standard" inquiry.

As for my background, it's in aerospace and the supporting suppliers right down to the tiny O-ring. The dollars are usually discussed as a show of success, and confidence of beating any potential competition. If the company is publicly owned, the information is readily available on the internet.

Must be a different industry or cultural thing I suppose. Working in IT for a Japanese company, we'd never talk about how much money we made. We'd reference market position of course, but never unit volume or financial data. In fact from a sales point of view we'd typically do exactly the opposite. In a negotiation with channel partners it was often much better to be perceived as "lean" and able to operate on thin margin than be perceived as large and very profitable. Simply put, the more money we are perceived to be worth, the larger clip the reseller expects to make from you. The marketing perspective to consumers is the exact opposite of that however.

Anyway, I just realised how boring I'm being.....

just strum
February 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Anyway, I just realised how boring I'm being.....

correction: We're being.

Ch0jin
February 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
correction: We're being.

Haha :beer: :beer:

So...

Top Ten Guitars :)

sumitomo
March 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Well the Fender Strat,it's not really a guitar it's a musical weapon!Sumi:D

wingsdad
March 3rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
... If I told them I would be buying 25 new gutiars ($3,000 ea level) I guarantee the information would suddenly be available.

Gibson would politley tell you you need to buy more...like 100 of those guitars... to open with a $300K order and maintain at least $150K/yr in reorders if a single line (i.e., Gibson, Epiphone, OMI) inventory...at least those were numbers that cost our local once-Epi Dealer his franchise 2-3 years ago...he'd opened at $150K in Epi stock 10 yeras earlier, then they couldn't maintain the inventory level anymore as they jacked it from $50K, to $80K, $100K, $125K....couldn't sell that much here 90 miles from LA and competing with a GC 45 miles away. He still has his Fender franchise, but soon, will lose it, too for the same sort of reason.

It's much easier for an indy store like my surviving Local GAS Station to deal in Godin (all their brands) Ibanez, Washburn, Schecter...even the pre-Fender Kaman lines (if you already had them) like Ovation and Hamer. He can't do Fender (yet), but they let him open Gretsch last year...with a 10-guitar order at NAMM 08.