PDA

View Full Version : OSCAR for Heath Ledger!

Jimi75
February 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
I am really happy that Heath Ledger won the OSCAR posthumely!

And this is not because of the fact that this actor died so young, but his acting was brilliant in almost every movie he made.

:bravo:

Kazz
February 23rd, 2009, 05:37 AM
Ledgers performance in the Dark Knight deserved the award. His Joker was the most incredible I have ever seen. That movie coupled with a big screen and pretty killer audio set up caused me some severe lack of sleep.

peachhead
February 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
I really don't know how many other movies I saw him in, but I agree that his portrayal of the Joker was superbly done. That was one scary, psychotic dude.

aeolian
February 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
I never saw the Dark Knight (my wife and I hadn't gone to the movie theater in over a year), but I thought he deserved an Oscar for Brokeback Mountain. He gave an incredible performance throughout, and although he was in his mid 20's he was totally convincing playing a 50-year old towards the end of that movie.

R_of_G
February 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I didn't and probably won't see TDK, but I have seen Ledger in other things and have always thought he was very good so it's nice to see his skills recognized. I am looking forward to September and the release of his final performance in Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" which co-stars Tom Waits.

tot_Ou_tard
February 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I am looking forward to September and the release of his final performance in Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" which co-stars Tom Waits.
I hadn't heard about that film. A new Terry Gilliam film?!?

I'm there.

Tom Waits?!?

Man-O-man!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imaginarium_of_Dr._Parnassus

Terry Gilliam always runs into problems while he is filming.

Go rent Lost in La Mancha to see what happened as he tried to film Man of La Mancha about Don Quixote.

R_of_G
February 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Yes, Gilliam's films always have some kind of obstacles to their completion and/or release and yet they are always fantastic when they do come out. I have seen Lost In La Mancha. There's also the whole affair with the dueling versions of Brazil (my favorite film of all time) which is dealt with in the documentary The Battle of Brazil which comes with the collector's edition Brazil DVD.

Suhnton
February 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
The first movie I saw him in was an Australian one called "Two Hands". Bryan Brown also appears in the movie, and plays a great thug. If you want to see some Down Under humour I highly recommend this. Don't watch it with the kids though.:)

Jimi75
February 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM
The first movie I saw him in was an Australian one called "Two Hands". Bryan Brown also appears in the movie, and plays a great thug. If you want to see some Down Under humour I highly recommend this. Don't watch it with the kids though.:)

Two Hands is a great movie! Cool that you mention it here!
:AOK:

aeolian
February 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Yes, Gilliam's films always have some kind of obstacles to their completion and/or release and yet they are always fantastic when they do come out. I have seen Lost In La Mancha. There's also the whole affair with the dueling versions of Brazil (my favorite film of all time) which is dealt with in the documentary The Battle of Brazil which comes with the collector's edition Brazil DVD.

"Brazil", what a great movie! Dark and funny. I never heard of different versions of this movie though; I may have to find the versions and see what the differences are.

R_of_G
February 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM
"Brazil", what a great movie! Dark and funny. I never heard of different versions of this movie though; I may have to find the versions and see what the differences are.

The differences are vast. In short, the studio didn't like Terry's version and refused to release it. Instead they recut their own version of it which was much shorter and completely changed the ending (forcing a happy Hollywood ending into a dark film). Terry responded by taking his version to film schools in the L.A. area and screening it for the college students creating a buzz around the real version. He also took out a full page ad in one of the trade papers and demanded the studio release his film. Eventually they compromised and Terry cut the film one more time to be a bit shorter but retain the story his way and that was shown in theaters. The box set has every version. Terry's original cut is the only one I ever watch, other than once watching the studio cut out of curiosity. It was horrible.

bigoldron
February 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Ledgers performance in the Dark Knight deserved the award. His Joker was the most incredible I have ever seen. That movie coupled with a big screen and pretty killer audio set up caused me some severe lack of sleep.

Yep! It scared the crap out of me too. I wouldn't want to be on his bad list... :eek:

Geraint Jones
February 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Is it as good as Chopper, Suhnton ?

Suhnton
February 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Is it as good as Chopper, Suhnton ?

I don't think you can really compare the two. Although they share a similar theme, the style is quite different. To me, Two Hands leans more toward the comedy side, in a similar way "Lock Stock..." did.
On IMDB, one of the descriptions was: "In America, gangsters wear Armani. In Australia they wear shorts".
Bryan Brown steals the show in that movie, his character was well played.
Chopper was also a fantastic movie IMHO.