PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Epoch

loudncrunchy
July 16th, 2006, 12:31 PM
I just purchased a great looking guitar by Gibson called Epoch. It's black w/two humbucker pickups and two corresponding volume controls, and the rhythm and treble switch.

Anybody ever played one of these. I'm curious to hear what others might have to say about this very affordable guitar.

SuperSwede
July 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I never seen one, please post some pics!

overthehill
July 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I own one,nice little LP much like an Epiphone Special II only a little plainer,black with creme binding and pup rings,2 chrome covered classic humbuckers.With a good setup it plays almost as good as a more expensive GIBSON,it's a little on the heavy side but I think this contributes to it's low mellow tone,it's targeted at beginners but easilly suits more advanced players too.Very good for it's price range, less than 150 US
pix and specs are at www.gibson.com/epoch

loudncrunchy
July 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Here's a nice pic of my Gibson Epoch.:D

Spudman
July 17th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Isn't Walmart selling these?

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2006, 02:06 AM
I wonder why they have (what looks like) the Gibson headstock when epiphone doesnt have that.

loudncrunchy
July 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Wal-Mart mainly sells the First Act brand which aren't too shabby themselves. I purchased the Gibson Epoch at Target for $100.00 which also included a DVD, gigbag, extra strings, cord. et.al. Not a bad investment. My very first guitar was a Wal-Mart sold First Act Telecaster copy. I made the change because I wanted something that provided a "fatter" tone. It didn't hurt that John Norum (one of my favorite players) plays a Gibson pretty close to mine only that his is a Gibson Custom.

Boots
August 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I own one,nice little LP much like an Epiphone Special II only a little plainer,black with creme binding and pup rings,2 chrome covered classic humbuckers.With a good setup it plays almost as good as a more expensive GIBSON,it's a little on the heavy side but I think this contributes to it's low mellow tone,it's targeted at beginners but easilly suits more advanced players too.Very good for it's price range, less than 150 US
pix and specs are at www.gibson.com/epoch

^^^^on point. This little "cheap" beast has it all. Action is high, but with a thorough set up (took a minute to get it just right) does she howl. I know Gibson states the pups are Classic buckers, but which Classic? They resemble, and I repeat resemble "Skatterbranes". Heavy? yes, but to me the weight is perfect. True, craftsmanship is lacking, but there are workarounds, and they're worth it. I challenge anyone to purchase this one, and try to stay away from it. I have a Fender, a couple of Squires, and a beast of an Ibanez, but for whatever mojo is in this thing, it's been the ONLY one in rotation. To me, the neck feels exactly like the AR30.

After you set it up, let your Ears be the judge.....nothing else.