PDA

View Full Version : HSS Wiring Question

bigoldron
February 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Call it a brain fart, senior moment, whatever, but I need to some help with my Yamaha project. It came in an HSS configuration, but I have a set of GFS Texas Special SSS pickups that I got for Christmas. I tried keeping the factory humbucker and used the middle and neck pups from the TS set. As I stated before, the HB works fine in position 1 and positions 3, 4 & 5 work fine. But, on position 2, the sound is very thin and weak, which, according to excellent responses from you, means there's likely an "out-of-phase" issue.

I had a thought this weekend. I was looking at the box the pickups came in and noticed that they were "reverse wired" to prevent phase issues and the thought came to me. How about, instead of using the middle and neck pickup from the TS set, I use the BRIDGE and MIDDLE pickup in the middle and neck positions? Would that fix the phase issue between the HB and the middle position (2) and, at the same time, prevent the same problem between the middle and neck positions (4)? Using my flawed logic, it sounds reasonable, but I'm not even GOOD at electronics, must less be considered an EXPERT.

There are some real pros among you guys and I hope you can shed some light on this. Thanks for any help.

duhvoodooman
February 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Ron, just reverse the hot & ground connections from the humbucker, and your problems are solved. I wouldn't be messing with the Texas Specials, which are, to some extent, voiced for the pickup position they're supposed to be installed in.

marnold
February 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
What DVM said. Swap the humbucker leads and be happy.

bigoldron
February 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
I did try swapping the HB leads and the HB went dead quiet.

duhvoodooman
February 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
That suggests another wiring problem. Merely reversing the polarity of the humbucker won't mute it. AAMOF, when played by itself, it should sound exactly the same. Something else going on there, Ron. What kind of pickup, what's the wire color coding, and how do you have it connected?

bigoldron
February 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
That suggests another wiring problem. Merely reversing the polarity of the humbucker won't mute it. AAMOF, when played by itself, it should sound exactly the same. Something else going on there, Ron. What kind of pickup, what's the wire color coding, and how do you have it connected?

It's a stock Yamaha humbucker with a white and black lead. The white goes to the volume pot and the black is grounded. I reversed that and got no sound. That's not to say that I may not have had a good connection when I tried that as I was a tad frustrated and in a bit of a hurry. I'll try it again maybe tonight. A good friend is sending me a new HB to try, so if I can't get the stock one to work, maybe the new one will do the job. Thanks for the help. :AOK:

marnold
February 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
The hot lead (white, in this case) should go to the switch, not directly to the volume pot. Check out this wiring diagram (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=hum_sing_sing_1vol_1tone_ 5w) from Seymour Duncan to see how an HSS guitar with a five-way switch, one volume, and one tone should be wired.

bigoldron
February 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
The hot lead (white, in this case) should go to the switch, not directly to the volume pot. Check out this wiring diagram (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=hum_sing_sing_1vol_1tone_ 5w) from Seymour Duncan to see how an HSS guitar with a five-way switch, one volume, and one tone should be wired.

You're right. I probably wired wrong being in too big a hurry. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. It's been more than a day or two ago, so my CRS is kicking in, so I can't really say for sure what I did. I'll try to get to it tonight, if my wife won't get too upset. :o

Mullen
February 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
You're right. I probably wired wrong being in too big a hurry. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. It's been more than a day or two ago, so my CRS is kicking in, so I can't really say for sure what I did. I'll try to get to it tonight, if my wife won't get too upset. :o
I need assistance myself can U check out my thread??
Thanks for any input...
Mullen:AOK: :AOK:

bigoldron
February 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think this one is pretty much what you're looking for, other than the fact that you're using a stacked rail humbucker rather than the traditional side-by-side type:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_2pp

Keep in mind that your stacked rail probably has different wire colors than the PG, so be sure to check the color coding for it.

Check DVM's suggestion.

bigoldron
February 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Well, I tried reversing the leads on the humbucker and it went dead just like last time. The white lead runs toe bridge lug on the 5 way switch and the black lead runs to ground. I swapped those 2 and it went quiet. The 2 Texas Specials sound really good, but the Yamaha HB does NOT like them, apparently.

I'm wiring it this way, since there's only 1 vol pot and 1 tone pot. Plus, all the grounds go to a central point on the shielded cavity as per guitarnuts.com.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd81/bigoldron/Strat1Vol1Tone.gif

I agree with you both DVM and Marnold, the HB should work either way, but for some bizarre reason, it refuses. I guess I'll have to put it back like it is and wait for my replacement to get here - just have to live without position #2. Oh well, there's worse problems in the world.

bigoldron
February 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well, I put the hb back like it was, changed out the tone pot (that one was acting strange) and put an old green cap back in (took out the cheapo orange drop cap) and it does sound better (smoother, more consistent between the pups and the tone knob actually works), but apparently the phase problem still exists. So, I'll wait until my replacement gets here and I'll see what happens. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

bigoldron
March 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
The replacement 'bucker has been delayed. No problem though. I was not entirely impressed with the sound for the Yamaha humbucker with the GFS Texas Specials, so last night, I took the Texas Specials out and put the factory pickups back in. Wow, what a difference. I actually like the sound of the factory pups going through my Crate VC20, especially when I cranked it up a little. I didn't have too much time to play it last night, but hopefully, I'll get a little playtime in the next day or so.

I've played the VC20 a little more and am starting to appreciate its sound. I've just got to find that spot where it all comes together. I think I'll really start to like this puppy once I hit that spot! :AOK:

I took the Yammie to church the other night and played it with the youth and got a lot of comments on its looks and sound. I was using my Crate GLX65 though, which is my work horse amp and has never failed me. Next time though, the VC20 is going to make her debut. She should be plenty loud for our church. It seats about 300 and the acoustics are pretty good. If nothing else, I can mic 'er and really let 'em hear it. :rockon:

So anyway, I'm happy with my Yamaha now, so maybe it's time for another project. :D (Just don't tell my wife! :eek: :spank: :nono:)