PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine/Draft

marnold
February 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Well, my Lions hold the #1 pick and at this point their choices seem to be Georgia QB Matt Stafford, Baylor OT Jason Smith, Virginia OT Eugene Monroe, or Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry. I think Andre Smith is pretty much entirely out of the picture having shown up to the combine overweight and then leaving early without telling anybody. Too many red flags. I guess it would figure that the Lions would have the #1 pick in a year where there is no clear #1.

Matt Stafford
The case for: The Lions have no quarterback--the most important position in football. They haven't had an all-pro at that position since Greg Landry in 1971. He's got a cannon for an arm--you can't teach that. He was in a pro-style offense at Georgia and got the most out of not a lot of other talent on that team. He could sit for a year behind Culpepper before being thrown to the wolves. Hey, he went to the same high school as Bobby Layne!
The case against: He can be inaccurate. Most pundits don't feel that he warrants the #1 overall pick.

Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe
The case for: Obviously the Lions need help in the trenches. An OT would be easier to sign than a QB.
The case against: If you're going to spend that kind of dough on an OT, he'd better be the second coming of Jonathan Ogden. They'd also have to move Jeff Backus to guard, but that certainly would not be the end of the world. Baylor (not sure about Virginia) ran a spread offense so there would be a question about adjustment to the pros, especially with run blocking--something the Lions desperately need.

Aaron Curry
The case for: The Lions have one LB worth writing home about (Ernie Sims). Curry would probably the easiest and the cheapest to sign. There's no denying his skill set.
The case against: Do you want to spend the #1 pick on a LB when the LB class is deep?

I have no idea which way the Lions will go. My personal feeling is that if you think that Stafford is all that, draft him. The Lions have five quarterbacks: Culpepper, Kitna, Orlovsky, Stanton, and Henson. If you combined their skill sets you might have a decent QB. None of those guys are ones you can build around. Ideally, they'd trade down, but with no consensus #1, who's going to want to pay the price to move up?

There is an argument that the Lions should wait until next year to get a QB since they will likely have a high pick again and Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Texas' Colt McCoy and Florida's Tim Tebow will be coming out. The problem there is that all three of them run the spread instead of pro-style offenses. The jury is out on how Tebow will do in the pros--is he even a QB prospect? Bradford and McCoy put up gaudy numbers but nobody plays a lick of defense in the Big 12. Matt Cassel is out there too and the Lions have cap room, but I have difficulty believing that he is worth the cash that he'll have to be paid. Plus playing with a very good Patriots team is much different from playing with a crappy Lions team.

No matter what happens, the likelihood of disaster remains high.

R_of_G
February 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Good assessments Marnold. If I were the Lions (and thank goodness I am not) and I were keeping the pick, of the three choices you list, I would take Curry. That should come as no surprise as I have said before I believe you build a defense first. I believe Curry to be the top LB coming out, and combined with Sims, that gives you a good start upon which to build a core. The Lions best bet at QB is to grab one of the competent free agents (Anderson or Leftwich) and build the rest of the team for awhile. I think it's a better option than throwing a rookie out there to get killed. Sometimes these rookies learn how to lose and they never forget.

Now, if I were the Lions and I were forced to pick a QB in this draft, it would be Sanchez. He's more impressive to me than Stafford in terms of his all around game. Both come out of pro-set offenses, but I think Sanchez excels in a few more areas than Stafford.

I am exceptionally curious as to how things pan out in this draft. I am hoping for a sign from the Jets that they won't blow it this time, but I remain unconvinced. Last year they passed on two future defensive superstars in order to draft the most over-rated player in the universe Vernon Gholston who I predict does not even make the team this year. For some reason, Mel Kiper has them drafting Percy Harvin. I think Harvin is a good receiver, but why the Jets would spend a first round pick on a receiver is beyond my comprehension. They don't even have someone to throw him the ball. I want a linebacker and at the 17 pick, there should still be several good ones to choose from.

marnold
February 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
My concern with Sanchez is that the scouts are saying that he doesn't have the arm strength. His game is the short to medium routes. That's perfect if you are looking for a West Coast style of offense. That's not been Linehan's MO. However, if the Lions would take Curry or someone else #1 and Sanchez would be there at #20 still . . .

R_of_G
February 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
However, if the Lions would take Curry or someone else #1 and Sanchez would be there at #20 still . . .

That's a near impossibility. I've been keeping a tiny bit of hope that he's still there at 17 because he'd be a great fit for the Jets, but I don't see him falling even that far especially with all the buzz around him at the combine. If for some reason he gets past 17, I can pretty much guarantee the Bucs will take him at 19. They are desperate for a QB and hoping that either Sanchez is still there or they will likely be taking Josh Freeman. Then again, come draft day, anything is possible. I just think a lot of teams are looking for QB's and after Ryan and Flacco's years, people may be more willing to give a shot to a rookie.

Tynee
February 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM
No matter what happens, the likelihood of disaster remains high.

I know the feeling, My skins would have been the Eagles this year, if they could have just beaten the Bungals...

And don't even get me started on their stellar draft from last year.

marnold
February 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
There was some talk that the Lions might be going after Albert Haynesworth. I'm glad they didn't. The Skins signed him for 7 years for $100 million, including $32 million in guarantees in just the first 13 months alone. This for a guy who has missed 1/5 of his games due to injury and has 24 sacks in 7 seasons. His two big years came in, you guessed it, contract years. Smells like Shaun Rogers all over again.

At any rate, a columnist on the Detroit Free Press put up an article arguing for signing Haynesworth much like the Tigers overpaid for Pudge to begin their turnaround. While I didn't agree with that premise, he did bring up an interesting, tangential point. The popular opinion is that Aaron Curry is the safer pick for the Lions. Unfortunately the Lions have no defensive line to speak of. Hard for a LB to make an impact when the line is laying on their backs every play. In that respect, it is no different from putting a Matt Stafford behind a mediocre offensive line. Having said that, you could make the argument that Detroit's O line is better than their D line (how's that for damning with faint praise!) and Calvin Johnson can make you look really good in a big hurry.

If it comes to a QB, that's why I'd prefer Stafford over Sanchez. Stafford's got a cannon for an arm. It would be a lot of fun to see him chuck it a long distance to Calvin for years to come. I also think they could let Culpepper start this season since he already is familiar with Linehan's system. Let the kid learn the ropes and give him a start or two at the end of the season.

And yeah, I'm over-analyzing. And yeah, after an 0-16 year, I'm amazed I care this much about it.

R_of_G
February 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I agree, Haynesworth at $100 million is too much. He may be the dominant lineman in the NFL right now, but he's also injury prone, having only played one full 16 game season in his career.

Speaking of free agency, ESPN is reporting the Jets have signed linebacker Bart Scott. I couldn't be more thrilled about that signing if true. You know how much I want a linebacker to build a defense around. Of all the free agents I wanted, Scott was the one I wanted most. It changes my thoughts on the draft, as it is now not necessary to draft a LB with pick #17. Now I'd like to see another stopper at CB to put on the other side of the field from Derrell Revis. In just two years, Revis has made huge strides and teams are throwing to his side of the field less and less. If we can get another CB like that to shore up the other side of the field, and then use the rest of the draft to get more bodies to play defense, I have high hopes that the Jets defense may be on its way to being Gang Green again in the next few seasons.

Tynee
February 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I agree, Haynesworth at $100 million is too much.

=1 :thwap:

marnold
February 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I am also totally not sold on Matt Cassel. He went 11-5 with a good team with a weak schedule. This one reeks of Scott Mitchell.

just strum
February 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
People here are crying the blues over Kellen Winslow, but I think it was a good move. He has been nothing but a problem for the Browns. A great talent, hard worker, but he screwed up on that motorcycle and has been the instigator of under mining the Browns organization.

Now, the draft choices are undisclosed, but if they are used wisely, it will be no loss in getting rid of Kellen Winslow.

marnold
February 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Winslow has great talent, he just didn't always live up to it, especially not when you factor in his mouth. His dad was awesome. Maybe this move will be good for both franchises.

marnold
February 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Oh and today the Lions traded Jon Kitna to the Cowboys for CB Anthony Henry. The Lions need all the secondary they can get. They probably would have had to release Kitna before next week so anything they get for him is gravy. I didn't think the Cowboys had spare CBs to be giving away!

just strum
February 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Oh and today the Lions traded Jon Kitna to the Cowboys for CB Anthony Henry. The Lions need all the secondary they can get. They probably would have had to release Kitna before next week so anything they get for him is gravy. I didn't think the Cowboys had spare CBs to be giving away!

Ah, Anthony Henry, the CB the Brown's were sorry they lost to Dallas. I'm a little surprised too that they would trade him.

Another surprise, Matt Cassel going to Kansas City along with Mike Vrabel for a second round pick?

I guess that's why I'm not in the front office making decisions, because these don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

R_of_G
February 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
From a USF alum's perspective, it's good news that Henry is leaving the Cowboys as it means that Mike Jenkins will very likely start this season as one of the two full-time starters. Love a team or hate a team (and I despise the Cowboys) I always root for the former Bulls to perform well so it will be nice to see Jenkins as a starter. I still question the Bucs selecting Aqib Talib over Jenkins in last year's draft.

I guess the big news today is Cassel to the Chiefs. With a team that bad, we shall certainly see if Cassel is as good as his numbers or if that can be chalked up to his supporting cast in New England.

And in Jets news, the Jets have acquired CB Lito Sheppard from the Eagles. So the two things I most wanted for the Jets this offseason were a dominant middle linebacker and a quality cover corner. With Bart Scott and Lito Sheppard, they took care of that in less than 24 hours. Now they appear to have their sites set on Baltimore safety Jim Leonhard. That would be a nice trifecta to pull off if they can. Safety is a position at which the Jets can use all the help they can get.

Oh, and as my NFC team is the Bucs, I have to say I am cautiously optimistic about Winslow. He has all the upside potential in the world if he could just keep his head about him and not be a troublemaker. He's definitely got the potential to dominate at his position.

just strum
February 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
This may be the reason for the Kansas City move from a Kansas City perspective. They may be trading away their #3 pick and this puts them in a better position to gamble. They could load up on draft choices.

Oh, and R of G, we both agree that no player can carry a team, so if KC doesn't have a supporting cast on both sides of the ball, we know there is little chance for Matt Cassel to do a repeat performance.

marnold
February 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
By the by, R of G, the Cassel trade also dramatically increases the likelihood of your J-E-T-S being able to draft Sanchez.

just strum
February 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Let's see how the trades change the mock draft.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28778620/

R_of_G
February 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
By the by, R of G, the Cassel trade also dramatically increases the likelihood of your J-E-T-S being able to draft Sanchez.

Possibly. Assuming the Lions take Stafford, I still think there are a couple of other teams from 2-16 looking for a QB, but I see it as a possibility. If he is there at 17, it would be an interesting pick for the Jets to make. I wonder who would become odd man out. Clemens never really got a chance and Ratliff and Ainge have no experience at all, though I think Ratliff could be quite good. I'd rather give him the shot this year and draft on D with #17. If it doesn't work out, there's next year to draft Colt McCoy. :D

marnold
March 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
There were serious rumblings that there was a three-way trade being worked on between Detroit, Denver, and Tampa Bay that among other things would have sent Jay Cutler to Detroit. I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.

R_of_G
March 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
There were serious rumblings that there was a three-way trade being worked on between Detroit, Denver, and Tampa Bay that among other things would have sent Jay Cutler to Detroit. I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.

My understanding was that it was Detroit/Denver/New England and then Tampa Bay/Denver/New England when Detroit couldn't make the deal. Both three-ways had to have included Denver and New England and both would have had Denver getting Cassel, New England getting a pick and either Detroit or the Bucs getting Cutler.

It tells me two things, one, Detroit ain't sold on Stafford quite yet.

Two, some team better put a package together for Jay Cutler because obviously the new Denver coach is an idiot. Coming into Denver, that's the one position you have locked down, but apparently not with McDaniels as coach. Instead, Denver's priority is to sign a 35 year old CB to a 5 year deal. Nothing against Brian Dawkins, but 35 year olds shouldn't get 5 year deals.

All I know is that I would gladly take Jay Cutler on the Jets or the Bucs right now. He has the experience, and his arm strength is something I haven't seen since Jim Plunkett. Cutler makes throws that shouldn't even be possible.

marnold
March 1st, 2009, 02:05 PM
All I know is that I would gladly take Jay Cutler on the Jets or the Bucs right now. He has the experience, and his arm strength is something I haven't seen since Jim Plunkett. Cutler makes throws that shouldn't even be possible.
My thoughts exactly. The Lions may or may not be sold on Stafford, but they actually know what Cutler can do in the pros. I heard one rumbling that it would cost Detroit both of their #1s, which is too high for a team with so many needs, IMO. However, I would trade, say, the #1 overall and a third or something.

R_of_G
March 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
My thoughts exactly. The Lions may or may not be sold on Stafford, but they actually know what Cutler can do in the pros. I heard one rumbling that it would cost Detroit both of their #1s, which is too high for a team with so many needs, IMO. However, I would trade, say, the #1 overall and a third or something.

I don't know that it would even cost that much. I think the #1 alone should be enough, or even the later first round pick and the third rounder. I suppose it depends on what Denver is looking for. With the deals involving New England, Denver was getting Cassel, who, although we both still have our doubts, is very familiar with the system McDaniels wants to run. Now that Cassel is out of the equation, I wonder if Denver would deal Cutler at all with no other option at QB. Of course, now they have a pissed off Cutler to deal with who knows he almost got traded to the Lions yesterday, and then almost to the Bucs, and from what I read, Minnesota was in the running briefly the other day before they picked up Sage Rosenfels.

marnold
March 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Here's to hoping they ticked him off lots!

R_of_G
March 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
I'll second that! Here's hoping he somehow ends up a Jet, Buc or Lion. :D

R_of_G
March 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
It appears from yesterday's stories that Cutler is extremely ticked off at the Broncos. Apparently they're trying to get him to come in and talk to them and he's refused and gone public with that refusal and his displeasure with the team. The team has suggested Cutler was never on the trading block, only that other teams asked the Broncos about his availability. Cutler is essentially calling them liars. I think Cutler has every right to be angry and I hope he pushes it further and demands a trade (like to the Jets or the Bucs).

Speaking of the Bucs, they signed former Giants RB Derrick Ward. That is a good pick up for the Bucs. They desperately need a dependable RB since Cadillac Williams is not panning out. I wouldn't call him a bust because he ws performing well, if not consistently, before his injury, but his injury was severe and he's not the same fearless runner he was before. With a healthy Earnest Graham and Ward, the Bucs should have a decent 1-2 combo in the backfield.

R_of_G
March 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Gang Green Strikes Again.

Today the Jets signed their third defensive free agent. This time they've signed former Ravens safety Jim Leonhard to a three year deal. With the signing of Lito Sheppard to play the opposite corner from Derrell Revis, the signing of Leonhard to play safety with Kerry Rhodes makes me very pleased about the prospects for the Jets pass defense this coming season. Now I'd like to see them work on the pass rush, the weakest part of their defense last season.

I had high hopes for the building of a defense under Rex Ryan and so far the coach is off to a great start. Scott and Leonhard have already proven they can excel in Ryan's defensive schemes and Lito Sheppard has proven he can excel anywhere.

R_of_G
March 5th, 2009, 04:07 AM
So long T.O.

ESPN reports the Cowboys have released Terrell Owens. I can't say I'm surprised. As I've said before, the guy has all the physical talent in the world, but he is a complete head-case and one of the biggest ego-maniacs in sports. T.O. is still young enough to be productive, but if I were a GM I wouldn't personally bring him into my team's locker room. He has proven with three teams that he will always be a distraction and will always put his own interests ahead of those of his team. I am sure he will turn up somewhere though, he always does.

On a positive note, Ray Lewis agreed to a 3 year deal with the Ravens. It will be nice to see the greatest Raven ever play his entire career in Baltimore.

marnold
March 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I wonder if Jerry Jones is going to apologize to Ed Werder.

The Lions free agent moves are the right ones, going for middle-of-the-road free agents, but it also makes me sad because it serves as a reminder of just how little talent there was on this team. Hopefully next year they can be mediocre.

R_of_G
March 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I think the Cowboys are in the same situation as the Raiders, which is to say they won't see success again until they are under new ownership. Both Jones and Davis are massive egomaniacs that refuse to see that they know very little (if anything) about the way football is played in the modern era. Ownership should sign the checks and leave the football decisions to the football personnel. That is not to say I disagree with the release of Owens, just questioning the ludicrous way Jones treated the press when they asked the question.

As for the Lions, believe me, as a Jets fan, I feel your pain. I know what it's like to look forward to mediocrity.

So what do you think the signings of Cassel and Houshmanzadeh mean for the draft? The so-called expert Mel Kiper had the Chiefs taking Sanchez and the Seahawks taking Michael Crabtree. Now that the Chiefs have a starting QB and the 'Hawks have a superstar WR, those picks seem unneeded (I think Seattle needs a QB to throw to Houshmanzadeh or what was the point of signing him?). I actually see both teams going for defense now which means I think one will take Curry and one will take Raji (I expect the Rams to take Jason Smith).

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Okay, R of G, what did we get in Cleveland?

All former Jets

David Bowens - 4 years, $7 mil back-up

CJ Mosley

Hank Poteat

Safety Abram Elam possible to sign in the next couple of days.

I don't know any of these guys. So the question is, are we cleaning out the Jets third string?

$7 mil as a backup??? Hell, anyone need a back-up musician for $750K per year (bargain)? You can just turn my amp down and no one will know, except during my screaming solos.

Edit: Also looking at Green Bay's Jarrett Bush - Special Teams player.

Look out, we are talking Super Bowl, Baabbbyyyyyy.

Oh, sorry, I meant Toilet Bowl

R_of_G
March 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Going through them one at a time...

David Bowens - Bowens is ok. $7 mil might sound like a lot for him but broken down over four years, it's not that much considering in Cleveland he may wind up as a starter at LB. If not, I agree that he's overpriced. I thought he was pretty good though. He seemed pretty solid on some plays and on others not so much.

CJ Mosley - I'll be honest, with Mosley I know the name but I can't recall ever seeing him on the field. I get very few opportunities to see the Jets on tv here in Florida. I have seen his name in the box scores and stat sheets so he did contribute something, but he obviously didn't set the world on fire or I'd know more about him. I will say that the weakest part of the Jets defense was the pass rush so I wouldn't necessarily be thrilled about acquiring a DE from the Jets, but you never know.

Hank Poteat - Poteat I wasn't thrilled with as a CB. With Derrell Revis on the other corner Poteat saw a lot of passes come his way and I don't think he did the greatest job of stopping them. He did make some good plays here and there, but put it this way, if he were all that good, the Jets wouldn't have moved to get a new CB in free agency (and are probably looking to draft another one). With some more consistency he might be able to contribute to the Browns, but I'm not exactly upset to see him leave the Jets.

Abram Elam - Elam I actually liked a lot. With the signing of Jim Leonhard, Elam became expendable for the Jets, but I think the guy has the potential to be a competent NFL safety. He's never going to be Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, but he could definitely contribute solid play to a secondary.

Now I wish the draft would hurry up and get here already because I am extremely curious to see what the Jets do.

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Sometimes sports is the priority

7_dgiNoBWio&feature=related

R_of_G
March 16th, 2009, 06:16 AM
So Denver QB Jay Cutler has asked to be traded. I am very curious as to what will happen with this. As you know, I am a fan of two teams both in desperate need of a starting QB and I would be thrilled to have Cutler fill that role. It should be interesting to see how this pans out as it is becoming very clear that the Broncos may not be able to mollify Cutler and keep him in Denver.

marnold
March 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Detroit would certainly have the ammo to land him. Cutler might be pleased with the prospect of throwing to Megatron in front of a fan base that is desperate to be loved. Detroit might also seem to be a fitting "punishment" location if Denver's brass felt vindictive.

R_of_G
March 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
There are definitely a lot of teams who'd be interested in acquiring Cutler so it will be interesting to see what Denver does.

just strum
March 19th, 2009, 05:04 PM
News out of Browns Town

* Although the Browns made an offer to Abram Elam, the Jets matched the offer. I would look for the Jets to trade him.

* Browns signed John St Clair to a $9 mil, three year contract with $600K guaranteed.

* Rumors of a three way trade involving the Browns: Browns sending either Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson to Denver, Cutler goes to Detroit or the Jets. The Browns would receive draft choices. A bit of a stretch, but the rumor is out there. The Browns have no interest in Cutler - non team player and flame thrower. It is reported that both Anderson and Quinn are being shopped by the Browns and the one not traded becomes the Browns starter. Seeing that there is no one to throw to at this time, it really makes little difference.

and speaking of no one to throw to:

And the biggest news coming out of Browns Town: Donte’ Stallworth was driving drunk when he struck and killed a pedestrian, according to published and broadcast reports Thursday.

marnold
March 19th, 2009, 08:08 PM
* Rumors of a three way trade involving the Browns: Browns sending either Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson to Denver, Cutler goes to Detroit or the Jets. The Browns would receive draft choices. A bit of a stretch, but the rumor is out there. The Browns have no interest in Cutler - non team player and flame thrower. It is reported that both Anderson and Quinn are being shopped by the Browns and the one not traded becomes the Browns starter. Seeing that there is no one to throw to at this time, it really makes little difference.
Git 'er done, Mr. Mayhew!

If the Lions want to do this, they certainly have better draft choice ammo than the Jets. Unfortunately, since this involves the Lions, my Admiral Ackbar warning siren is going off.

http://photo.gangus.com/d/26788-2/ackbar.jpg

R_of_G
March 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
I don't see it happening unless Denver gets more than Anderson or Quinn. One is competent, but not exactly on the same level as Cutler. The other has achieved exactly nothing to date. If I were Denver I'd be asking for a lot more than for Cutler than Derek Anderson. I thought Quinn was pretty overrated coming out of college. Perhaps he'll develop someday into a NFL quality starter. Perhaps not. I woudn't go trading a legit franchise QB for him without a lot more compensation.

Were I the Browns (or any other team) I wouldn't write off Cutler just yet as a "non team player." The guy has every right to be pissed off that he had to find out on the news that he was almost traded. Trades are a part of sports, but telling a player the truth about his status should be as well. When they brought in a new coach, the Broncos should have dealt honestly with Cutler. They didn't and now he wants out. I can't blame him. Prior to this, he has been nothing but a team player and one that has improved consistently in each season he's played. I'd take him in NY or Tampa in a heartbeat.

just strum
March 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
I don't see it happening unless Denver gets more than Anderson or Quinn. One is competent, but not exactly on the same level as Cutler. The other has achieved exactly nothing to date. If I were Denver I'd be asking for a lot more than for Cutler than Derek Anderson. I thought Quinn was pretty overrated coming out of college. Perhaps he'll develop someday into a NFL quality starter. Perhaps not. I woudn't go trading a legit franchise QB for him without a lot more compensation.

Rumors are nothing more than people thinking out loud. There is someone over on the Denver coaching staff that is in love with Quinn. Personally if I were the Browns I would trade Anderson (in this trade or another) and keep Quinn. Why? Because Anderson is too erratic and has been that way from day one. He may have one of the strongest arms in the NFL, but it serves you no good when he is throwing the ball to the opponent.

Evaluating either quarterback on what is shaping up to be the Browns of 2009/2010 really isn't fair to either one. They have no one to throw to, the offensive line is suspect again. The one advantage an offensive player has in Cleveland, plenty of rest time. It appears to be three and out on offense and a defense that will be on the field 66%+ of the time.

When a new coach arrives there usually is excitement, but one wouldn't even know there is a new coach in town. If they are attempting to keep expectations down, that is one area where they have succeeded.

Now, as far as the Browns having to offer more than a quarterback for Cutler in a three way trade, maybe that was the reason for stocking up on third string Jets players this off season.:D

R_of_G
March 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
It sounds to me like it's more sports journalist (radio & print) speculation than actual rumor mill grist. I hear it all the time with the New York teams as well. It never originates from anyone with the team, it's just some journalists or so-called "analysts" saying "they should do this" or "they could get this guy for this guy" and none of these things ever actually happen. It makes for good conversation among fans but it never seems to reflect the reality.

I'm no backer of Anderson, but I wouldn't get rid of the guy until you know you have a legit starter to put in his place. I'll wait until he gets a chance to fully judge the guy, but I don't think Brady Quinn is the guy. I wouldn't have drafted him at all let alone in the first round. He didn't impress me at Notre Dame. To me he was another ND quarterback whom we were told all along "this guy will be great when he plays on sundays" even though he wasn't all that great on saturdays. He's his generation's Ron Powlus (the next great thing that never actually amounted to anything). If some other team offered something of real value for him, I'd have him on the next plane.

I'd be more apt to get Anderson some offensive line protection and real receivers before I turn over an inept offense to someone with no experience at all. Things in Cleveland may be bad but they could still get worse. Trust me as a Jets fan, things can always get worse.

marnold
April 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Wow, just wow.

Denver traded Cutler and a 5th rounder for Kyle Orton, two firsts, and a third. If that's the price, then there's no way the Lions could have justified it. Looks like Stafford is going to be the guy. The rumblings were that his Lions-directed workout was great.

just strum
April 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
One nice thing about having the #1 team in the NBA, it keeps the demise of our football team out of the papers and out of our minds.

R_of_G
April 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Wow, just wow.

Denver traded Cutler and a 5th rounder for Kyle Orton, two firsts, and a third. If that's the price, then there's no way the Lions could have justified it. Looks like Stafford is going to be the guy. The rumblings were that his Lions-directed workout was great.

As good as I think Cutler is, and I think he's very good, the Bears overpaid. I'm glad the Jets didn't make that deal. I'd rather have all those picks.

I do think Stafford is a done deal for the Lions. I also think it's a mistake. Unless the Lions are planning on using that later 1st round pick on an offensive tackle and then getting some more offensive tackles in the rest of the draft, best of luck to Mr. Stafford because he's gonna need it running for his life. I wonder if they put him through that drill during his workout.

Whoever winds up with Aaron Curry (Wake Forest - Linebacker) is making the smartest first round pick in this draft. I don't buy the "no number one picks for a linebacker" argument. The guy can make an impact at his position almost immediately. I guess Lions fans should be happy I'm not the GM because that would be my pick.

marnold
April 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
The problem is that the Lions need everything although I would argue that QB is their #1 priority. They've had one Pro-Bowl QB in my 41 years of existence. The #1 pick is a curse. If you mess up on it, you annihilate your salary cap for years.

marnold
April 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
I heard on ESPN that Raji tested positive for something at the combine. Whoops.

R_of_G
April 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
I saw that last night too.

Depending on what it is, it shouldn't automatically be an issue to teams looking to draft him. Personally, I think if it's cannabis, I wouldn't be any more concerned than if he'd tested positive for beer so long as he's not in any legal trouble over it.

If, on the other hand, it's something performance enhancing or some kind of physically addictive narcotic, I'd think twice before drafting him.

The Jets passed on Warren Sapp because he tested positive for cannabis and drafted Kyle Brady who was a total bust while Sapp went on to dominate for several years and win a ring in Tampa. It always seemed an idiotic move not to draft him because he smoked pot in college (especially since his roommate was Rohan Marley).

marnold
April 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
The Jets passed on Warren Sapp because he tested positive for cannabis and drafted Kyle Brady who was a total bust while Sapp went on to dominate for several years and win a ring in Tampa. It always seemed an idiotic move not to draft him because he smoked pot in college (especially since his roommate was Rohan Marley).
Of course, the Lions drafted Charles Rogers who never seemed to be able to get away from the chronic, but then again his main problem was his remarkably flimsy collar bones.

R_of_G
April 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
My personal opinion is that if the guys aren't smoking in the locker room before the games and they aren't getting into trouble with the authorities, I don't care if they smoke weed at home in their non-football lives. With the stories we read again and again about alcoholism being a big deal among athletes (and not just NFL players) I'd be more concerned that a potential draft pick has a drinking problem than that he likes to smoke.

R_of_G
April 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
In other NFL news, the Giants have released Plaxico Buress. I wouldn't think teams would be knocking down the door to get this guy, but every time I say that, it happens so I'm sure if he doesn't go to prison, Plaxico will get another NFL job. Perhaps some team can get an ex-con discount if they take Plaxico and Michael Vick as a duo. Al Davis, I'm looking in your direction.

Also, have I asked before why so many broadcasters pronounce his name "Plex-ico" when it is clearly spelled "Plax-ico"? Do they call the dental product named "Plax" Plex? Do they think a lumberjack uses an "Ex" to chop wood? Do they use cleaning "wex" to clean their floors?

It annoys me to no end. It may be an unusual name, but it doesn't seem all that difficult to pronounce.

R_of_G
April 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
ESPN is now reporting that B.J. Raji did NOT fail a drug test at the combine. Any team looking for defensive help that passes on this guy is going to regret it (unless they draft Aaron Curry).

just strum
April 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Browns schedule came out.

They open at home (for the 11th straight year) against the Vikings. Then they play 4 of the next 5 on the road and 5 of 7 in total over that stretch, by which time they will somehow be eliminated from the playoffs.

They have one Monday night game agianst the Ravens and Thursday against the Steelers. They close the season at home the last two weeks with the Raiders (12/27) and Jags (1/3). Locker cleaning is expected 1/4/10.

marnold
April 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
My favorite part of the Lions' schedule is that they finally don't have to play the last game at Lambeau. I'm often offered tickets to that game, but sitting outside in late December is my idea of zero. Did it once, that's plenty, thanks.

R_of_G
April 16th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I'll hopefully be sitting outside for a game this December. The Jets visit the Bucs this year. The game is Week 14 when the weather here should be beautiful still, warm enough to sit outside at a game all day but not as brutally hot as it would be in September or October at the stadium.

just strum
April 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
My favorite part of the Lions' schedule is that they finally don't have to play the last game at Lambeau. I'm often offered tickets to that game, but sitting outside in late December is my idea of zero. Did it once, that's plenty, thanks.

I'll hopefully be sitting outside for a game this December. The Jets visit the Bucs this year. The game is Week 14 when the weather here should be beautiful still, warm enough to sit outside at a game all day but not as brutally hot as it would be in September or October at the stadium.

I find room temperature to be the most pleasing - cleaner bathrooms too!!!

R_of_G
April 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
So the draft is tomorrow. It sounds like there may be several deals in the works as teams jockey for position. Any final thoughts on who your team should take?

I would like to see the Jets trade up into Seattle's #4 spot to pick Mark Sanchez. They have a deal that is apparently enough for Seattle to take but Jets ownership is reportedly looking to get Sanchez out of the top 6 so they don't have to guarantee as much cash. I think it's #4 or he's gone to Seattle (or someone else in that spot). If they do not trade up for Sanchez, I will take any of the three USC linebackers still on the board at #17. All three would work just fine in a Rex Ryan defense. If for some reason all three are gone, I'd take the best DE left on the board. If the rumors are true and they are going to use the #17 pick on a receiver, I prefer Hakeem Nicks from UNC. I think he's a good combo of skills and size, but I'd rather go defense.

As for the Bucs, they could benefit from picking at almost every position. If Josh Freeman is still there at #19, I'd love to see him come to Tampa. They picked up Leftwich and people are accepting that this is a rebuilding year. Freeman can come here and learn to play the NFL game without pressure to win right now. If he's gone, the Bucs can always use defensive help.

marnold
April 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Stafford seems to be the man in Detroit, although as of this writing no contract as been signed. I got some relief today when I read that Ron Jawarski thought that he's got all the tools to be a great QB in the league. I'm hoping that they keep him on the pine behind Culpepper for most of the year, but bring him in for some on-the-job training. I hold out no illusions that the Lions will be anything but bad this year.

I read where some people were comparing Stafford to Harrington. I think Joey could've been a serviceable QB in the league had he a) not be pressed into duty too quickly, b) not have had constant turnover at coordinator and QB coach, and c) had something resembling a team around him. I'm not saying he would have been Joey Montana, but not even Montana could have been successful with the Lions under those circumstances. That and Harrington most definitely was not a West Coast QB, but they tried to ram him into a West Coast system.

I heard that some fans at the unveiling of the new jerseys were chanting for Curry. I don't think that'd be the greatest idea to make a LB who isn't sack-happy one of the most highly paid LBs in the league and then play him out of his usual position. I don't really understand all the hype for Sanchez lately. I'm not saying he'll be bad, but he played so little on such a great team with little competition that it's really hard to get a read on him.

If Stafford really has this cannon, I want to see Linehan put in a bunch of long bombs to Megatron. Linehan certainly showed a willingness to do that in MN.

I think that the #20 and #33 picks are every bit as valuable as the #1--maybe more so. If they hit on those two the rebuilding project can really begin in earnest.

R_of_G
April 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
It became official later last night that the Lions have agreed to terms with Matthew Stafford for 6 years/$78 million, of which $41 million is guaranteed. I think that is an awfully dear price in guaranteed money to anyone at any position who has never played a down in the NFL, but the current salary system is what it is. I wish Stafford and the Lions luck. He seems like a good kid and it'd be good for the league if he succeeded (not to mention how happy it would make Marnold).

St. Louis is effectively on the clock. I suspect they will take OT Jason Smith but they have other options.

I am also a bit put off by the draft coverage not starting until 4pm. Does the NFL really need to become such a slave to the demands of tv executives? Either way, I'm glad it's hear. The Jets tend to blow it, but it's still a day to be hopeful for your team. I'm excited to see the Bucs start to rebuild a defense as well. Will either of my teams get the help they need? We'll see...

R_of_G
April 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Well that was interesting!

Thanks to Strum's Cleveland Browns for trading the #5 pick to the Jets so they could make their move for Sanchez. Hopefully he will turn out to be a solid pro.

The Browns got a damn good deal for that pick, with the #17 pick, the 2nd round pick and three players. One of those players incidentally is QB Brett Ratliff. This will only be his second year, but he looks to have a lot of potential. He could compete with Quinn and Anderson any day of the week.

just strum
April 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
When the Browns moved to Baltimore, the big fight ensued on the rights to the name and Cleveland came out the winner. After going through all that, only to relinquish the name and be renamed the Cleveland Jets.

I will say that they did a good job yesterday in rebuilding a foundation for the team. The draft had little the way in offering evident superstars, and what good is a superstar if you have nothing to compliment them?

I'm not a big football fan and don't follow any of the players in the draft (exception being Brian Robiskie), but after reading about the early part of the draft, I think Detroit could have done better for themselves.

So, it's back to my NBA interest for now.

marnold
April 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I officially don't know how the Lions were drafting. I don't understand the TE in the first round and passing on two prime Mike candidates in the second. Of course, what the heck do I know. The Lions basically need everything except a kicker, punter, and #1 WR.

R_of_G
April 27th, 2009, 04:46 AM
The Lions seemed to pick guys at positions they needed, just maybe not the right ones. It seemed that except for Stafford, there were higher rated guys at every position than the ones they took. But who knows who's going to work out and who isn't.

The Jets surprised me with Shonn Greene though it's a pleasant surprise. The one position they really didn't "need" to address was RB with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, but (a) there is nothing wrong with having three strong RB's on an offense, and (b) Jones has been a bit unhappy about his contract. This allows the Jets to tell him to take the money or shut the hell up.

Personally, I thought Greene was the best RB in the draft. I am still not sold on Knowshon Moreno and I think very little of Chris Wells. Donald Brown from UCONN is very good but I think Greene is just the kind of physical RB a Rex Ryan team needs.

According to Ryan they took him regardless of need because he was (by far) their best player still on the board. To me, that's good draft strategy.

R_of_G
April 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Well Strum, it looks like the Browns wound up with another new QB after all. They signed undrafted free agent Graham Harrell from Texas Tech. His stats are through the roof, but he benefitted from (a) playing in a spread system based on throwing the ball almost exclusively, and (b) having Michael Crabtree to throw to every Saturday. I guess the Browns will be having some form of competition for the job. The real question with them having 4 QB's on the roster now becomes who will be the expendable one? I know what I think, but we all know I think very little of Brady Quinn.

I also think the Steelers got a steal signing Mike Reilly (the QB from Central Washington). The guy can spend some years learning the game from Roethlisberger and develop. This was a good move.

just strum
April 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Well Strum, it looks like the Browns wound up with another new QB after all.

The position is such a hit or miss when it comes to picking one in the draft. I'm a believer that you should seldom consider a QB in the first round unless you have a host of targets waiting for them. They also command such high pay when drafted in the first. High risk for sure.

The way the Browns go through QB's in a season (porous offensive line), four QB's isn't too ridiculous. Keep in mind that Cribbs played QB at Kent, although he is far removed from that role now.

marnold
April 27th, 2009, 06:16 PM
The way the spread QBs went in this draft (they didn't) was one main reason I thought the Lions should get Stafford instead of waiting until next year. Next year's big QBs are all spread guys, one of which people aren't even sure will be able to play QB at the pro level (Tebow). As far as Stafford's struggles in big games go, until this year none of his teammates were ever drafted higher than the fourth round. That says something. That said, I'd like to see Stafford v. Sanchez in the Super Bowl some day. While I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

The benefit of the Jets drafting Sanchez is that you can almost hear the Jets faithful making "dirty" chants when he gets planted the first time.

just strum
April 27th, 2009, 06:21 PM
While I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

Don't lose that dream.:D

R_of_G
April 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
That said, I'd like to see Stafford v. Sanchez in the Super Bowl some day.

Well that certainly sounds good to me (so long as Sanchez is still with the Jets when it happens). :D

All in all I thought it was an interesting draft this past weekend. The Raiders showed why they are terrible year in and year out. Al Davis drafts as if he's putting together a track team not a football team. Every year he picks the fastest guy at a given position whether he can play or not. I'm not saying Darius Heyward-Bey is not a potentially good receiver, but a #7 overall pick? Not in this lifetime. I wouldn't have even taken Crabtree with the #7 but if I had to pick a receiver, it'd have been Crabtree before Hewyard-Bey, and if not him than Maclin, or Hakeem Nicks, or Percy Harvin. That said, I wouldn't take a single one of them in the first round. Calvin Johnson is the kind of receiver I'd take in the first round. None of those guys are Calvin Johnson.

just strum
April 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Davis can claim that his team has incomplete passes faster than any other team in the NFL.

just strum
April 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
In case you haven't read a media report card yet, here's one.

I think this is the first time in a number of years the Browns scored high. I don't see it, but I am not a good judge of NFL talent.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30413106/?pg=18#spt_nfl_draft_reportcard2009

R_of_G
April 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Strum - Kaluka Maiava was definitely a bargain pick-up for the Browns in round 4. The guy would have been a starter on pretty much any other team in the country but at USC he played behind Matthews, Malaluga and Cushing. He has all the potential in the world to turn into a solid NFL linebacker.

I think the phrasing in that grade report is a bit misleading though to refer to the Browns picking up "three veterans" when one of them is Brett Ratliff. He's a second year guy who was the #3 last year with the Jets and never took a snap. He's a veteran of about three quarters total of pre-season games.

Without giving out grades, I think the team that did the best in the draft was Green Bay. To get both BJ Raji and Clay Matthews in one round will pay huge dividends for the Packers on the defensive side of the ball.

just strum
April 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
...Clay Matthews in one round will pay huge dividends for the Packers on the defensive side of the ball.

Woe, I didn't even know this - son of Clay Matthews Sr and nephew of Bruce in the NFL????

Damn, I am getting old.

R_of_G
April 29th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Woe, I didn't even know this - son of Clay Matthews Sr and nephew of Bruce in the NFL????

Damn, I am getting old.

Yes, he's the son of that Clay Matthews. He's one hell of a LB.

R_of_G
May 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Ok here's a question...

Why do the ESPN personnel insist on referring to Brett Favre's possibly playing in 2009 as a "comeback"? It is NOT a comeback. It is still the same off-season it's been since his last season ended. If it is a "comeback" for Favre, then it is a "comeback" for each and every non-rookie who plays this year. If and when the season starts and Favre is not there, anything after that is a "comeback."

Sorry if this is pointless, but I have a problem with misuse of language. I'd also rather talk about that then yet another un-retirment from Favre. It makes me respect guys like Barry Sanders that much more than I already do. Brett Favre is the boy who cried retirement. Why should anyone believe a word the guy says?

just strum
May 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ok here's a question...

Why do the ESPN personnel insist on referring to Brett Favre's possibly playing in 2009 as a "comeback"?

I make a comeback every Monday morning - it just doesn't make the papers or the sports shows.

Next Sunday night I would like someone here to announce that I may be making a comeback on Monday.