PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

18 till I die
February 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Good afternoon (well it is in London). Eight months ago at 58 years of age I decided as a lifelong lover of rock music to try the one thing I have always wanted to do, which like all of you is to play the guitar. I bought a cheap kit off e bay and realised i had 10 thumbs and two left hands :) but i loved the racket i was able to make.

Eight months later I am still loving it (and still rubbish), i have bought a new guitar (Yamaha Pacific) new amp (Roland Microcube) and had over twenty five lessons. It's improving but I never realised how much hard work is required.

I dont know if 58 is to old to pick up a guitar for the first time but as Bryan Adams said "18 till I die":dude:

My taste in music is Muse, Paul Weller, The Cure, Springsteen, nor really into metal.

Anyway, thanks for reading this.

aeolian
February 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
18 is not old to pick up guitar. I just turned 60 and been playing off and on since I was 15, but I bet I'm no better than you. I played in a hobby band and our bassist picked up the bass about 3 years ago when he was 62. You should see him riffing Nirvana and Bruce Thomas (Elvis Costello and the Attractions) at practice.

18 till I die
February 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM
18, I wish :) , 58 i am afraid, still your post gives me hope.

18 till I die is my philosophy (i hope that dosent sound to pretensious)

evenkeel
February 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the gang!!! :beer: :beer:

18 till I die
February 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the welcome, nice to talk to people with the same interest.

PS, I am also rubbish at golf :)

just strum
February 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
18, I wish :) , 58 i am afraid, still your post gives me hope.

18 till I die is my philosophy (i hope that dosent sound to pretensious)

Welcome, and I like the way you think. I guess that makes me 54 going on 14.

mcgreggor57
February 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
You started at 58...I started at 50. Age is just a point of reference! Welcome!

sunvalleylaw
February 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Welcome! Lots of late starters here. I am sure you find yourself right at home and find lots of good help here. I did!

Spudman
February 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hi and welcome. :wave:
Definitely put off learning golf but guitar is all right. If you really want something fun and easy to learn at a (ahem) more advanced age I would suggest skydiving. Pretty simple really.;)

oldguy
February 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:beer:
58 is not too old, I'm 54, same as just strum (he's actually 6 mos. older), and I'm sure in 4 yrs. neither of us will be "too old".
Actually, I think "too old" means dead, then it's too late.

just strum
February 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM
58 is not too old, I'm 54, same as just strum (he's actually 6 mos. older), and I'm sure in 4 yrs. neither of us will be "too old".

I'm taking one guitar with me, just in case. Plus, I think all the harp players where I am planning to go could use a guitarist, I just hope that have something to plug into.

peachhead
February 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Welcome and congrats on the learning process!
Having done both I would say that guitar tends to lower my blood pressure while golf...well.... *&%#! You know, I can always play an E but I can only hit a golf ball where I want about 10% of the time.

18 till I die
February 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome no doubt in the coming weeks and months you will get fed up with my "stupid" questions :) for instance how do i set up my guitar/amp to copy for example Angus Young's sound ? (the question is rhetorical by the way, i dont expect an answer) sounds silly i know but i have spent as much time setting the sound up and learning the riffs, pretty dumb i know.

Rocking in the free world is (probably) my all time favourite rock song and i will start to give it a go soon.

just strum
February 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome no doubt in the coming weeks and months you will get fed up with my "stupid" questions :) for instance how do i set up my guitar/amp to copy for example Angus Young's sound ? (the question is rhetorical by the way, i dont expect an answer) sounds silly i know but i have spent as much time setting the sound up and learning the riffs, pretty dumb i know.

Rocking in the free world is (probably) my all time favourite rock song and i will start to give it a go soon.

I don't think you can come up with a whole lot that is new in the way of questions. As for stupid, no offense my friend, but I've asked some zingers.

18 till I die
February 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I suspect i will get there someday but i do believe i have the worlds most uncooperative fingers.:) Strange thing is i still enjoy it.

scgmhawk
February 24th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Welcome and Cheers! :beer: It's a fun journey. Nice thing about playing guitar is you'll get better with experience. I find myself losing distance on the golf course every year! Oh...and I've never thrown my guitar into a tree!

Robert
February 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Welcome! We all have the "finger funk" now and then to some degree... don't worry, you're not alone in that boat. :)

player
February 24th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Welcome aboard I'm 56 and still pick fairly well.I guess I should after playing some 40 + years.as far as stupid questions go.The Only stupid questions really are those Not asked.that is why the beginners forum is here.to get those kind of things out of the way and actually learn something and here you certainly will :D

kiteman
March 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Starting on a guitar is like a baby making his first steps. Before long you're off running. :)

Me? I'm 58 and I still pretend I'm a rock star. :D

All in fun mate. That's all it matters.

Monkus
March 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
My Dad just restarted guitar at 63. I 'replaced' the guitar I freed from him for Christmas in 2008. Age is just a number...

forumovec
June 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
it is never too late...or better late then never:)