PDA

View Full Version : Playing live is like Golf...

evenkeel
February 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM
In that. For enthusiastic amateurs there is a lot of wacking the ball into the weeds and then that occasional good shot, or series of shots and you go OK.... I can do this.

Hitting an open mic is sort of the same. Muddle along and then it clicks for a bit and I go ok that was fun. The last few weeks have been lots of muddling and way down on the fun meter. Then last week I went to a new venue and had a pretty good three song set. Ok, hitting the ball down the middle of the fairway again. Last night I went to yet another new spot. Walked in, guitar in hand and gulped. Bit more honky tonk than expected. But the host was terrific and the crowd seemed at least a little bit interested. I knew my coffee house, holky folky stuff would get lost so opened with an old uptempo Jonathan Edwards tune, Shanty (thankfully had the harmonic and rack with me) and the crowd seemed to get a kick out of that. Next did Tupelo Honey, also with the harp. Bit more mellow, but the crowd was singing along, always cool. Had planned on a original or two but decided they were to mellow so launched into the Neil Young tune, Cowgirl in the Sand. Few clanks and tumps but generally ok and the crowd was still with me. Wrapped it up with a novelty thing "Folsom Pinball blues". Alternating Folsom Prison and Pinball Wizard lyrics all done to the folsom tune. Mrs Keel had been after me for ages to do it live. I could see these very puzzled expressions, then a few smiles and some chuckles.

A bit later the host asked me back up and we played together on a few tunes. For What It's Worth, For the Good Times and Heart of Gold.

Usually when I do these things I have a very specific set list. Ended up being fun to make it up on the fly.

just strum
February 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I find that golf and guitar playing parallel each other in a number of ways, so your post doesn't surprise me.

R_of_G
February 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I love both and I find a lot of parallels as well. I have not played live in a real audience setting, but have played with friends quite a bit with plenty of people around. Drive for show, putt for go. :D

thearabianmage
February 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
There's an old Japanese saying; 'know one thing, know ten-thousand'. If you know where to look, any two things can be linked. You can use knowledge like this to better understand new concepts or to fortify the understanding of existing concepts.

Saying that, I've never played golf, but I can see the link :D

just strum
February 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Saying that, I've never played golf, but I can see the link :D

That was good, especially from someone that has never played.

thearabianmage
February 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
That was good, especially from someone that has never played.

Does put-put count?

marnold
February 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Can't be, because I'm no good at golf. Oh wait . . .

tot_Ou_tard
February 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
in that I do neither.