PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the Caribbean!

Monkus
February 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

I found this site through Robert's remarkable playing on Dolphinstreet. I was scouring looking for a Strat and found him playing the Fender Players deluxe. Amazing guy, amazing player, amazing site. I've been playing guitar since I was about 15 then got into keyboards. Played with one of the more popular alternative bands here in Trinidad and Tobago for about six years. Just turned 40, picked back up the guitar when the better half bought me a PRS for my birthday. I am now really starting to understand and play the instrument, both acoustic and electric not just strum chords for people to sing to.

Thanks to all for all the information I've picked up here so far, and the many more helpful tidbits I'm sure will come.

Robert
February 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi Monkus! I'm all blushing now... :)
Thanks for your kind words, and welcome to the great guitar forum we have here!

Gil Janus
February 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Welcome Monkus to TheFret. This is a wonderful place to share info, music and of course to absorb info too.

You should fit right in here - there are many who are returning to the guitar after many years away. I'm one of those myself.

Gil :cool:

evenkeel
February 27th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Howdy!! Welcome aboard!!! :beer:

oldguy
February 27th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:)

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Welcome aboard Monkus!! I have fond memories of a vacation down there on St. Thomas, and St. John, and a fish fry at Cinnamon Bay! I guess that was over 24 years ago now.

Bloozcat
February 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Welcome Monkus to the truly "International" fret.net...:AOK:

guitartango
February 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Welcome from the Sunny (or mild) UK

luvmyshiner
February 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Welcome aboard Monkus!

Spudman
February 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hi and welcome. :wave:

tot_Ou_tard
February 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Welcome Monkus!

Is your name Monkus or is it a sly reference to Thelonius?

markb
February 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hi, Monkus!

Monkus
March 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes, much appreciated.

Robert: Thanks, I don't know if you know the impact of thefret.net and dolphinstreet. I'm actually thinking of getting all your gear !!! if it'll make me play as good as ... :rotflmao: Thanks again!

sunvalleylaw: the sun down here doesn't age, I actually did a fish fry on friday night... come on down and get some !!! lol

tot_Ou_tard: I wish...:cool: One day perhaps, if I'm good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence with the great Thelonius, that would be enough. Nothing so awesome I'm afraid. I was born in '68 - the chinese year of the monkey, but all the 'monkey' handles were taken in all the sites I subscribe to...:)

Thanks again guys!! :rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
tot_Ou_tard: I wish...:cool: One day perhaps, if I'm good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence with the great Thelonius, that would be enough. Nothing so awesome I'm afraid. I was born in '68 - the chinese year of the monkey, but all the 'monkey' handles were taken in all the sites I subscribe to...:)
:rockon:
Welcome then genius Monkey-boy!

Year Of The Monkey
http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/graphics/WebMonkey.jpg (http://www.c-c-c.org/galleryshop.htm) 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004

People born in the Year of the Monkey are the erratic geniuses of the cycle. Clever, skillful, and flexible, they are remarkably inventive and original and can solve the most difficult problems with ease. There are few fields in which Monkey people wouldn't be successful but they have a disconcerting habit of being too agreeable. They want to do things now, and if they cannot get started immediately, they become discouraged and sometimes leave their projects. Although good at making decisions, they tend to look down on others. Having common sense, Monkey people have a deep desire for knowledge and have excellent memories. Monkey people are strong willed but their anger cools quickly. They are most compatible with the Dragon and Rat.

Monkus
March 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Din't readily subscribe to genius but .... :rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Din't readily subscribe to genius but .... :rotflmao:
You can't argue with the fates. You're a genius...now come to terms with it. :D

scgmhawk
March 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Welcome, Monk, and Cheers! :beer: I'm heading to the Caribbean the end of the month (Aruba) and looking forward to warming up after another cold NY winter!

Monkus
March 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Very cool (or not) ... Sun, sand and bikinis ?!?!!?

Childbride
March 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
hi, Monkus, and welcome! :wave:

never been to Trinidad or Tobago, but shiner and i love the Caribbean! we hope to make it again this summer.

Brian Krashpad
March 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Ah, the West Indies!

Welcome.

Actually my knowledge of Caribbean geography is shameful, I have no idea if Trinidad and Tobago is considered in the West Indies. I've lived in Florida since the '70's and only got down to la Caribe in the past few years.

Monkus
March 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Brian, and yes we're part of the West Indies, we're the closest one to Venezuela.

scgmhawk
March 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Very cool (or not) ... Sun, sand and bikinis ?!?!!?

Yes!