PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please

18 till I die
February 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Good evening guys (London 9-45pm) i would appreciate your advice on two subjects which are as follows.

I have a Yamaha Pacific guitar which I have no problem with BUT i really want a Telecaster which would cost about £450 (twice the price of the Pacific), the question is as a novice would it be worth buying a better guitar?.

My guitar tutor (bless his patient heart :) has suggested i come to one of his jam sessions, I have heard some of his other students play and i would feel uncomfortable playing with them. Question is do i give it a try or make an excuse till i feel more confident about my rather limited abilities

markb
February 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Buy what you want and use it. If you like classic teles have a look at the Squier Classic Vibe. It could save you some cash.

As for jamming, I've always found one of the best ways to learn fast is to try to hang with better players. Give it a go and try not to get too hung up on your limitations.

18 till I die
February 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the advice Mark

t_ross33
February 27th, 2009, 04:07 PM
+1 on the Squier... I would suggest trying a few, but there are certainly some gems out there.

As far as playing with the group, don't let your skill level be the motivating factor - if it is something you want to do, get in there and do it. It may be tough at first, but the only way to get comfortable in that situation is to do it. Trust me, you will always be your own worst critic. I've been playing for over 25 years and I do not consider myself anything more than competent, but I play out with my band because I love doing it. And I still get butterflies in my stomach before a gig. As markb mentioned, playing with other more experienced players will help make you a better player. I've heard of guitar teachers that can shred, but have trouble playing in a live setting because they never play with other musicians :thwap:

markb
February 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
. I've heard of guitar teachers that can shred, but have trouble playing in a live setting because they never play with other musicians :thwap:

Tell me about it! Our local jam is infested with blues-rock noodlers channeling Jimi Hendrix. I get compliments from punters and other musos for playing pretty basic rhythm parts that hang with the bass and drums. I may take a solo once or twice a night in that situation, there's far too much of that going on already.

marnold
February 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yamaha used to have a Telecaster-style guitar in their Pacifica line. Not sure if it's still being produced though.

Monkus
March 1st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Was thinking about a Pacifica as well. I found dolphinstreet through searching for which Strat to purchase. I've always loved the strat tone. There's a music store here that's going out of business selling a Pacifica 812V. Played her and she really wanted me to take her home, almost begged me in the store :D naughty girl that she is...

Here's her centerfold: http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_965949aa9334e59fb.jpg ('http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1019')

Don't know how to post pics yet so apologies in advance.

So, I'm wondering if to hold out for the Fender Players Deluxe or take home the deep red, sexy pacifica 812. The Players Deluxe is about 4 times the price though. While price is not really an issue I kinda balk at buying a guitar without having played her which is the case with the Fender Players Deluxe since I'll have to purchase her online. Anyone have meds for GAS ???

kiteman
March 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Carvin have their guitars on sale now. USA made and better prices. :)

I have two of 'em. :D

Trailer Park Casanova
September 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Playing the guitar is just like playing golf.
Ya surround yourself with talent and your talent will rise too.

kiteman
September 24th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Playing the guitar is just like playing golf.
Ya surround yourself with talent and your talent will rise too.

Right. Monkey see monkey do. :D