PDA

View Full Version : Boating

just strum
February 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I watched two different shows on TV last night. The first was about yachts, and pertained to those out of reach toys. Very interesting if you love boats and the water (I do), but it was for the people that dock their yachts in places like Morocco, fly to the location of their boat and have a hired crew.

The second show was about houseboats and that seemed much more obtainable, especially if one would be retiring and wanted lake front property. The program showed various large inland lakes that had coves where you could anchor and have some extremely peaceful nights. The marinas offer different amenities based on cost.

I'm sure there are a lot of things to consider and costs one doesn't think about when watching a one hour show, but it looks like a nice life style. Apparently I am not alone in that thought, as the houseboat market has seen some growth in popularity.

Rocket
February 27th, 2009, 08:45 PM
You must be ADHD Strum... you come up with more off-ramps than anyone I know!

Bloozcat
February 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Living in a place where boating is a year round possibility, the temptation to own one is always there. But after years of observing the agonizing cost of supporting a hobby such as this, I always come to the same conclusion: it's a pit for disposing of disposable income.

Oh, for years I enjoyed sailing, and I always loved going out fishing from a boat. But, it was always in someone else's boat. Back when I was single I had a friend and roomate who owned a 34' yawl. I often helped him with maintenance on the boat, but the expense was his. To properly maintain a boat such as this meant that you started replacing rigging in one area of the boat and then moved around the boat until you finished...which usually took a year. Then you started over again the next year, and so the cycle would go.

The saying that a boat is a whole in the ocean that you throw money into is quite appropriate. While I've had the pleasure of boating, I have avoided the expense of owing them (except for the odd small outboard fishing boat or two).

I have enough expensive hobbies...boating isn't on the agenda...;)

just strum
February 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM
The saying that a boat is a whole in the ocean that you throw money into is quite appropriate. While I've had the pleasure of boating, I have avoided the expense of owing them (except for the odd small outboard fishing boat or two).

I know the saying, but up here it's a whole in the lake. We also say "The best boat, is a friends boat". There still remains that attraction to getting up in the morning and deciding you want to live on the other end of the lake. You untie the boat and shove off. I think it's one of the great escapes.

When I was younger and single, I use to move every year. I don't think I ever renewed a lease from the time I had an apartment. I've even moved within the same complex (different building) just so I wasn't in the same apartment. Watching the show about boats brought back that urge to be able to quickly change location. One of the benefits, the boat is also your moving van.

You must be ADHD Strum... you come up with more off-ramps than anyone I know!

I do.

evenkeel
February 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Holy Cow!!! A subject I actually know something about. ;)

Guitar magazines are guilty of making you believe you can play like SRV in 6 easy lessons. Weight loss magazines would have you believe you can drop 100 llbs and have rock hard abs in 6 weeks. Ok, an overstatement but you get the drift.

Well, the Boating mags and TV pieces like you describe would have you believe it's all idyllic anchorages, rum drinks in the cockpit, fair winds and calm seas. In our 8 years of living aboard and cruising from Canada to the Islands, we had all that and more. It was great and my wife and I feel VERY grateful we got the chance to do it. But, we also had the joys of pulling the engine out of the boat for various repairs, a broken valve that nearly sank us, a knock down in a micro burst, the joys of riding out a couple of hurricanes, a broach due to a rogue wave when coming in a very tricky cut, and a bunch of other war stories. Every other cruiser I know would have similar stories to tell.

Even in the relatively benign world of lake houseboating I can with totally certainty tell you at some point you will be crammed into a way to small space, wrench in hand, scraped knuckles, covered with oil, cussing like mad, asking yourself "why did I buy this &^%$%^& boat"!!! :thwap:

just strum
February 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Even in the relatively benign world of lake houseboating I can with totally certainty tell you at some point you will be crammed into a way to small space, wrench in hand, scraped knuckles, covered with oil, cussing like mad, asking yourself "why did I buy this &^%$%^& boat"!!! :thwap:

When I started the subject I knew I could count on first hand knowledge coming from you. I know a lot of what you are talking about. I've lived close enough to Lake Erie to spend a lot of time down at the marina's that dot the shore line. This area being one of extreme season changes adds extra cost if you dock your boat and have to have it pulled out for dry dock storage at the end of the boating season (one hopes that the boat can wait for this period for any major maintenance.

As many boaters know, Lake Erie is one of the most dangerous lakes for boating. My wife's father died out on Lake Erie with four of his friends when they were on his boat and got stuck in a sudden storm. My wife was about 12 at the time and she has mixed emotions about boating. I've been on the lake on two occasions and had serious concern that we may not make it back in.

As for all the mechanical work, I think I have that figured out - PM me your phone number and address, and consider yourself on call.

Everything has it's trade-offs. I have a house and cars that have caused cuts and bruised knuckles. I have to put in hours every week taking care of the yard during the summer. The rooms are due for painting, the cabinets need updating, the carpet in some rooms need replacing.

I have fond memories of spending hours on the lake and when I would come home, I was able to sleep like a baby. There is nothing like the serenity of water and the fresh air that accompanies it.

evenkeel
February 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Strum, sounds like you have a pretty honest assesment of the potential pitfalls.

One other point to consider. The surge in houseboat sales has raised some taxation issues for many water front towns. The crux of the issue is how the houseboat is classified for taxation purposes. Some towns are calling them second homes and levying property taxes. Some of the houseboats really are little more than a barge with a trailer on top. You never actually go anywhere. They stay tied up to the slip 100% of the time. Others look and act more like boats, but have more house like comfort features.

Many marinas are also starting to not rent slips to house boats. Again taxation issues, coupled with towns wanting to limit liveaboards. However, with the economic problems, other marinas are thrilled to have anything and anyone rent a slip.

street music
February 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
In Kentucky they a luxurey and you pay big taxes. Sorry, I have a home to pay for first, truck, more guitars.