PDA

View Full Version : 12 string dilemna

evenkeel
February 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Does anyone else struggle with getting a capo to work properly on a 12 string? I am now on my third option and I still have a problem getting the octave strings to fret cleanly.

My Kyser just won't do it, no matter where I put the thing the octave strings rattle and buzz a bit. A Schubb will take the rattle and buzz away but you need so much pressure it tends to pull the guitar out of tune. I just bought a very expensive G7th, made just for 12 strings. No better than the Kyser, maybe even worse.

Next candidate, maybe, a 12 string specific Kyser, supposed to have a bit stronger spring and a different rubber pad.

pes_laul
February 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Does anyone else struggle with getting a capo to work properly on a 12 string? I am now on my third option and I still have a problem getting the octave strings to fret cleanly.

My Kyser just won't do it, no matter where I put the thing the octave strings rattle and buzz a bit. A Schubb will take the rattle and buzz away but you need so much pressure it tends to pull the guitar out of tune. I just bought a very expensive G7th, made just for 12 strings. No better than the Kyser, maybe even worse.

Next candidate, maybe, a 12 string specific Kyser, supposed to have a bit stronger spring and a different rubber pad.
yeah I got one of those 12 string kysers and it seems to work fine for me

Plank_Spanker
February 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I have a Kyser capo for my 12 string, but I have to get it on just right. It can be frustrating at times.

wingsdad
February 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I'd had the same frustrating problem using a 6-string Kyser on my Yamaha acoustic 12.

Problem solved with the Kyser 12 because not only is the spring stronger than the 6-string model, the radius of the rubber pad of the 12-string model is a bit smaller (more curve/contour), the pad is just a bit thicker/heavier and most importantly, the arm is 1/8" longer than the 6-string's...since your typical 12-string has a wider neck than a 6. All those factors add up to making firmer contact across-the-board.

BTW, 'keel: what gauge strings are you using on your 12? A lot of 12-players like to keep the guitar tuned down a 1/2 or full step, to reduce the tension that 12-strings will naturally induce and capo up at I or II to get to standard tuning. I used to do this using Lights with an .010 1st/2nd E course. I figured the string gauge might have been part of problem, so I switched to Extra Lights (D'add EJ41) with an .009 1st/2nd and tuned up standard. That helped a bit, but it wasn't til I got the Kyser 12 that things got tight & right.

A pleasant side effect of the switch to Extra Lights, besides making it easier to chord cleanly, was that the neck no longer gets pulled out of whack.

Steve206
February 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hello folks,

Sometime ago, when I had money to burn and a desire to have it all, even if I didn't need it, I got a couple of Kyser capos. One for 6 string and one for 12.
At the time, I remember the packaging saying which one was which. Once out of the blister pak I discovered that they sure looked identical. Never thought about it too much until today. I mean I get more use out of the planet waves capos, that I also had to have.

Just went and checked out the Kysers. Springs look identical and the only difference that I can see is one has a "Kyser" logo stamped into the elbow and the other one has "Kyser" with the numbers "12 06" just underneath. Apart from that, they appear the same. But I did notice that the 12 06 one has a slightly curved brace, opposite the fretboard pad.

I think that I will go with Wingsdad's info. Another problem solved internettically.

Thanks for bringing this topic up.

Steve

evenkeel
February 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Looks like the Kyser 12 is worth a go.

Wingsdad. I use Dad .010. I currently have it tuned down a full step, hence the interest in getting a capo to work. I also like the tone a bit better tuned down. Looses a bit of that shrill 12 sound, bit more balanced and even. Nice thing with this 12 is at concert tuning or down a step the neck stays pretty much the same.

wingsdad
February 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Maybe a couple of pictures will clarify what I tried to describe in words.

12-String model underneath the 6. Note the springs are the same gauge, but the 12's is wound so it closes tighter...it's also a bit longer on the end that hooks the back arm:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/IMG_1202.jpg

12-string to the right. Note the longer fretboard pad arm:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/IMG_1201.jpg

"Upon further review", the fretboard pad rubber on both appear to be virtually the same thickness.

I checked to see if the logos on mine were any different, and what's under the word 'Kyser' is indeed different. The type is much smaller on the 6-string model, unreadable to me, so maybe that's why it doesn't work as well on the 12-string. :whatever:

evenkeel
March 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It's official, I'm lousy with capos'. :thwap:

A Kyser 12 is now in the arsenal and happy to report it works just fine. :D

FWIW I contacted G7th. Got a nice response, said send it back and they will replace it. Of course that means postage to England. Also contacted the online seller. They said send it back, with the original packaging, for a refund. Of couse to open the package you need to cut it to shreds. My guess is I'll go with the ever popular do nothing approach. Lots 'O agita for a capo!!

wingsdad
March 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM
A Kyser 12 is now in the arsenal and happy to report it works just fine. :D

Glad ya got that dilemma solved, 'keel :)

Hanging on to the G7th is certainly better than the aggravation of trying to return it; it's a good capo, and ya never know...it might come in handy someday.