PDA

View Full Version : How many pedals do you use at any one time?

Robert
February 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM
On average, how many pedals do you use when you are playing? I have 7-8 pedals hooked up most of the time when I'm playing, but I have to admit I rarely use more than 1 or 2 of them at any one time. Some pedals I may use only once for a gig.

The gain pedals get the most use for me, and the Arion SCH-1. Delay is pretty much always on too, but I use a delay in the loop of the amp so I don't have to have a pedal on the floor.

pes_laul
February 28th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I generally only use my DS-1 for distortion (unless I turn my Bad monkey on for a bluesy sound or for a lead boost) then I usaully add chorus or flange depending on what it is Im doing

thearabianmage
February 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Do modellers count? If so, I tend to have a few on at any given time - for rhythm: no reverb/delay/echo, distortion, compressor, EQ, sometimes a bit of chorus, and for lead: fair reverb/delay, distortion with high gain, compressor, EQ, chorus, sometimes some wah.

If it comes to analogue pedals, I'm fairly constricted, but at any time it will generally be EQ, distortion, and wah with shades of flanger.

R.B. Huckleberry
February 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Two at a time: an overdrive and a tuner. The OD changes up every so often. usually the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, or a Reverend Drivetrain.

But I think that all changed with Thursday's new arrival...

markb
February 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Mostly just an overdrive in front and a tremolo on the loop plus the amp's reverb for boing. If I need more fx (comp, tuner, delays) I get out the ME-50.

schenkadere
March 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
OD or distortion, reverb, graphic EQ...and a touch of delay for solos...so 3 and then 4. Considering I only have 5 pedals, I think that's pretty efficient.

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
2 to 3 typically. I like to combine distortion and overdrive, I also sometimes add chorus, and sometimes add in my noise suppressor.

oldguy
March 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Usually 1 or 2. Delay and reverb, I let the amph handle the overdrive.
Sometimes I'll use the ZYS to boost the clean side, but I don't use it as much since I got the Ceriatone.

tot_Ou_tard
March 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM
0-4.

Sometimes I like to dial in the teensiest tiniest bit of grit/boost on all of my overdrives & stack them. Nice rich harmonics that way.

But usually 0 or 1.

Spudman
March 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
0-4.

Sometimes I like to dial in the teensiest tiniest bit of grit/boost on all of my overdrives & stack them. Nice rich harmonics that way.

But usually 0 or 1.

Same here.
Any more than 4 and the signal looses definition in a way that I don't like. For instance I would have maybe 2 drives/distortions stacked a modulation and a delay. Any more than that, say a chorus or even a wah, just turns the notes into mush. This is why I find the M13 perfect for my needs. It allows up to 4 pedals of my choice set in any order. I simply add a wah to the front and I'm good to go.

ragnarpk
March 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
anywhere from 2-6..

guitartango
March 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Now i only use

SD Booster>Wah>Bluesbreaker>bad Monkey>Tone Delay. Must admit i prefer to use just three pedals and keep my tone intact.

Guitarist327
April 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
usualy 2-4

Strat>chours>Metal zone or Distortion>amp
i dont have many pedals. D:

R.B. Huckleberry
April 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I was up to THREE the other day: Planet Waves Tuner, Fulltone OCD, and Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus/Echo.

I'm lucky I can set up a rig that complicated...

goonrick
April 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Usually between 1 and 3 though I have had as many as 6 going at once, but only in certain situtations. It's just too big a pain in the butt most of the time.

Vibroverb
April 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM
1-4 at a time. Always a bit of reverb, usually some dirt, sometimes some delay and once in a while some tremolo.

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
1 to 5 is my usual working range. Pretty much always leave the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor on, and will have my Digiverb reverb on when using one of my amps that doesn't have 'verb onboard. Beyond that, I often have an OD/distortion/fuzz pedal on, and also my analog delay set to a short "slapback" interval. Might use another modulation effect (chorus, phaser, flanger, vibe or trem), but only one and will take off the delay, if so. For the occasional 5th pedal, it would be a boost or another "stacked" OD/distro box for an extra gain kick in the pants.

sunvalleylaw
April 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
On my bicycle, I use two. Or would if it would stop snowing here. In my car, I use three in one car, two in the others.

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
In my car, I use three in one car, two in the others.Which car sounds better?

sunvalleylaw
April 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
The Alfa, with the very sonorous 4 cylinder, and three pedals for hitting rpm's and thus torque etc. just right. Double clutching, effective downshifting, and heel/toe techniques improve the sound, and experience.

The suburban and minivan are just transportation. Effective and suited for their purposes, but it is not about the sound. Unless you mean a stereo.

hubberjub
April 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
It depends on how good the sound guy at the club is. The better he is the more pedals I need to cover up my playing.

duhvoodooman
April 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
It depends on how good the sound guy at the club is. The better he is the more pedals I need to cover up my playing.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

schenkadere
April 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
OD or distortion, reverb, graphic EQ...and a touch of delay for solos...so 3 and then 4. Considering I only have 5 pedals, I think that's pretty efficient.

Recent change:

DOD FX84 Milk Box Compressor>Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive CM-2> EPB SRB 808 Plus>Danelectro Fish&Chips EQ>Ibanez DDL10 Digital Delay>Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb.

6 pedals total...3-compressor, EQ and reverb always on.

Jimi75
April 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM
I use 1-2 pedals at a time (maximum).
Otherwise my gigs would become a step dance workshop, hahahaha ;-)

bigG
April 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM
I rarely use pedals, but when I do, it's usually a Wah and/or Bad Monkey. Sometimes I'll switch out the Bad Monkey for my Sabine FuzzStortion ( a GREAT fuzz pedal - Sabine stopped making pedals and I found this one locally on closeout for $34.00 - regular street price was $100.00 - such a deal!) So I guess the answer is 1 or 2.

birv2
April 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
One: overdrive, which rotates between the ones in my sig.

I would like to add a reverb, but I play exclusively at jams, and you've only got a couple of minutes to set up. Anything more than one pedal and I start to slow the jam down, and I don't want to be That Guy....

Bob

Gutmann
April 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
One overdrive and a delay - thats it. I really like to work with the guitarvolume to clean up the sound.