PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Shootout

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2009, 04:26 PM
A series done by Visual Sound.

RrufhPHi6m8

Might be interesting. I haven't watched any of it yet...

Spudman
March 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Overdrive
ZMy_Jt7A1wA

hubberjub
March 2nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
I gigged for seven years with a Visual Sounds Route 66 pedal. It had a great ts808 circuit on one side and a good (but very tone coloring) compressor on the other. I retired it this year because the case is starting to rust and I've had to cobble together a not-so-safe power supply to keep it going. It was replaced by a Lovepedal Eternity and a DuhVoodooman Tight Squeeze (which is suprisingly transparent). Visual Sound makes decent pedals for the money.

markb
March 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
For a while my board was a Route 66, Ernie Ball volume pedal and an H2O chorus/echo. Great tones and very tough pedals. The Rt 66's Tube Screamer is as good as any I've used including a TS808ri. The only drawback with the VS double pedals is the sheer size of them. A Dyna-Comp and a TS808 take up less room even with a patch cable between them.

hubberjub
March 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
For a while my board was a Route 66, Ernie Ball volume pedal and an H2O chorus/echo. Great tones and very tough pedals. The Rt 66's Tube Screamer is as good as any I've used including a TS808ri. The only drawback with the VS double pedals is the sheer size of them. A Dyna-Comp and a TS808 take up less room even with a patch cable between them.

You're right about the size. Why does it have to come to a point at the bottom? It would have been much more practical if it was squared off.

tot_Ou_tard
March 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
You're right about the size. Why does it have to come to a point at the bottom? It would have been much more practical if it was squared off.
To look like Highway road signs of course.

Art is rarely practical.

Monkus
March 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
good stuff, i feel a bout of GAS coming on.

birv2
March 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
I may have missed this in the intro, but are all the pedals set the same: EQ, level, gain?

markb
March 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
I may have missed this in the intro, but are all the pedals set the same: EQ, level, gain?

Ah, the $64,000 question :)

Any pedal shootout organised by a pedal manufacturer has to be taken with a bucket of salt, I'd say.

birv2
March 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Well, the presenter did say that they worked very hard to get the levels sounding the same... not that anyone was invited up to check them behind the big glass window.

The other problem with this kind of thing is that you can't decide which is the "best" pedal by a show of hands. It's all subjective -- what sounds great to most of the people sounds like crap to the few. The one guy who picked the TS808 was "right" too -- it sounded better to his ears. That's the sound he likes.

And how can you possibly decide without knowing how that guitar sounds through that amp played with your fingers, etc.

I have to admit that the Route 66 sounded good to me, and it made me think more positively about that pedal. So in spite of my objections, I guess it worked!

Bob:whatever: