PDA

View Full Version : 2 NFL Players Among Missing in Boating Mishap Off Florida

wingsdad
March 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Corey Smith of the Lions and Marquis Cooper of the Raiders, along with 2 ex-U of South Florida players, are missing since Saturday night...small boat, unexpected bad weather...let's pray they got lucky.

Here's a link to the story on the AP wire via my employer's (hometown newspaper) website:

NFL Players - 2 Missing Boaters off FL -AP Story (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MISSING_BOATERS_NFL?SITE=CAVIC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

Rocket
March 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
They're not at my place!

evenkeel
March 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
It now looks like only one person has survived. Sad story.

They left from Clearwater. Just north of where we live in St. Pete..

There are many things about this story as a boater I find troubling.

There were in a 21 foot boat, 35 miles offshore. That's a long way from land in a little boat.
They were anchored when the boat turned upside down. 35 miles off shore and anchored is odd enough. But if the weather got bad, why did they not pull the hook and head for home??? That boat will do 20 knots easy, so they could have been home in less than 2 hours. Something is very amiss about this.
The bad weather was well forecasted. Sat. am was nice, but if you were paying attention you knew bad weather was coming. :confused: :confused:

Whatever, it's still a very sad story.

just strum
March 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
The bad weather was well forecasted. Sat. am was nice, but if you were paying attention you knew bad weather was coming. :confused: :confused:

Whatever, it's still a very sad story.

Confused here too. I've only caught bits of the story, but it seemed odd.

I wasn't aware that they found someone alive or that they found anyone at all.

wingsdad
March 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Confused here too. I've only caught bits of the story, but it seemed odd.

I wasn't aware that they found someone alive or that they found anyone at all.

Watched SportCenter tonite...they found Schuyler, one of the USF grads, in his life jacket, clinging to the capsized hull, this morning (Monday). Hypothermia, dehyration, exposure= serious condition. Sadly, it looks bleak for the other 3 this much later and colder.

marnold
March 3rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
According to ESPN Radio yesterday afternoon the guy they found was being treated at the hospital but was listed in good condition. I have a hard time believing that they're going to find the other guys alive, but two of them are professional athletes so their physical conditioning should give them the best chance of survival.

R_of_G
March 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm still hoping for the best, but this far removed from the time of the capsizing, it's seeming less and less likely. Very sad.