PDA

View Full Version : Boss ME-20

guitartango
March 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
I am thinking about buying a Boss ME-20, are they any good and would it sound good through a fender Blues JNR ? I play mainly Blues/Rock.

markb
March 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
You might get a good price on an ME-50 which is much more flexible. They've been discontinued and should be on sale. The ME-20 has many of the same effects but less of them.

Blaze
March 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
Get yourself a Danelectro CTO-1( this thing is amazing ) & a good delay you ll have a good start to play blues ...

You don t need a MFx to play blues , that s my opinion..

guitartango
March 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
my second delay pedal has just gone pop, so i was thinking of getting a all in one effects pedal. Or i could just buy another delay pedal, chorus and a Tremolo.

Blaze
March 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
my second delay pedal has just gone pop, so i was thinking of getting a all in one effects pedal. Or i could just buy another delay pedal, chorus and a Tremolo.

That s sounds good to me , if you have an effects loop ,you could plug these modulation effect in there , overdrive disto et fuzz in the front of the amp....

just strum
March 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
You might get a good price on an ME-50 which is much more flexible. They've been discontinued and should be on sale. The ME-20 has many of the same effects but less of them.

I'll second that.

wingsdad
March 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
And I'll '3rd' that...not disagreeing with Blazes in that it's probably more than enuff stuff to play blues...but it's the choices of OD/Distortion, Chorus (if nothing else, to thicken and add texture to the OD/Dist), and Delays alone for a a likely closeout price of $250 or less that make it much better value and useful tool than the ME20 at around $200.

guitartango
March 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks for that Wingsdad, Do you think that the ME-20 or ME-50 would suit me for Blues/Rock playing ? Here is my normal setup

American Highway Strat, Biyang Fuzz, Compressor,BluesBreaker,Bad monkey, Delay pedal, Fender Blues JNR. I was looking to buy a SD Pickup booster and a Marshall Chorus pedal and replace my second delay pedal. The price of the ME-50 varies between £120-150 and is within my price range. I really want to add a rotary pedal and Wah at some stage plus get another Power brick. The ME-50 looks like a winner to me but as always the sound on the website sounds great until you plug it into the Amp! I got stung with the Zoom GU1 which sounds terrible on a tube amp (and sounded bad on a VOX valvetronik). I am confused and dazed, i need to spend money as soon as ! but what on ?

ME-50 or SD pickup Booster,new delay

HELLLLLPPPPPPPP

Can anyone post some samples ME-50 into a TUBE amp

Blaze
March 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM

Here if that s you need ...

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=boss+ME-50+&hl=fr&emb=0&aq=-1&oq=boss+#

Jipes
March 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Well to be honest I play through a Boss multi effects for quite sometimes plugged into a Pro junior or a Blues Junior but now I'm more than happy with directly plug straight to my amp without anything in between it sounds much better, warmer, more intense and less noisy :AOK:

I play mainly a Laney LC-15 and I play mainly blues and soul music (old Stax covers). If you need just a slapback effet buy a small stompbox and go for it :dude:

guitartango
March 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Here if that s you need ...

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=boss+ME-50+&hl=fr&emb=0&aq=-1&oq=boss+#

Thanks but seen all the videos, im not into shredding so most of them are pointless. Any one want to post Robert ?

guitartango
March 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Well to be honest I play through a Boss multi effects for quite sometimes plugged into a Pro junior or a Blues Junior but now I'm more than happy with directly plug straight to my amp without anything in between it sounds much better, warmer, more intense and less noisy :AOK:

I play mainly a Laney LC-15 and I play mainly blues and soul music (old Stax covers). If you need just a slapback effet buy a small stompbox and go for it :dude:

You are spot on with this, as my power supply to the pedals died, i have been pluggin directly into the FBJ, just pure FENDER tone (with a touch of reverb). Maybe i should scrap the ME-50 idea and buy the pickup booster! /new delay/chorus.

Blaze
March 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
There s a realy good unit here Damage control Glass nexus ..

Can get a use one for less money , sounds wow ..

http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.com/Damage_Control_Glass_Nexus_p/dmgcnt-glsnxs.htm Clips down the page ..

wingsdad
March 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for that Wingsdad, Do you think that the ME-20 or ME-50 would suit me for Blues/Rock playing ? ...

ME-50 or SD pickup Booster,new delay

HELLLLLPPPPPPPP

You'll get useful compressor, Noise Reduction, a Rotary and decent WAH in the ME-50, with Analog or Digital Delays that can be used besides the unit's OK reverb (or your BJ's).

I dont' have a tube amp, and I only have 1 clip of the ME50 in action, and I've posted it here before...not into a tube amp, but direct into a mixer and then into the recorder. So, it's pretty much what you'd hear if you just played the ME50 through headphones (which I do, a lot).

The lead electric guitar is my Epi Sheraton II (with Gibson Classic 57's), both pickups on, both with the guitar's tone rolled way back. ME50's BD2 Blues Driver, some compressor, Room Reverb and mild stereo delay. The acoustic guitars, keyboards/synth solo and bass are other players I track with:

8804 (http://www.box.net/shared/1e3qyefchy)

guitartango
March 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the post Wingsdad, i use to have a epiphone Sheridon II with a bigsby wammy bar, nice guitar a bit too heavy for my back. Wish i never sold it now.

Still you live and learn.

markb
March 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
When I use my ME-50 in anger I just set it up for comp>tube screamer>modulation de jour (usually tremolo, sometimes chorus)>delay with tap tempo. It also gives me silent tuning and a volume pedal that I can use as a wah with a push on the toe switch. It's about the same size and weight as a small pedalboard but I only need 2 connections between me and the amp and one for power. If you use effects it's a good way to go. If your needs are minimal an OD and a delay will cover most of what I use but will cost the same as the ME-50 and give less convenience in use. OD + Delay will have a smaller footprint though.

guitartango
March 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys for all of your support, right im going for the SD pickup booster and Vox Wah pedal .......

TS808
March 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM

I agree too. Although the ME-20 probably is pretty good, I really like my ME-50.