PDA

View Full Version : If it's "transparent" you're looking for in a pedal....

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
...then you might want to SERIOUSLY consider this one:

I heard from old Fret.net alumnus Nelskie recently, asking me if I'd be interested in doing a pedal mod for him. He'd just picked up a lightly used Boss Blues Driver BD-2 at a good price, and wanted to have the Monte Allums "H2O Plus" mod done on it. I'd heard good things about this pedal mod, specifically that it smoothed out the BD-2's tendency for a bit of top-end harshness and really gave the pedal a very clear, articulate, and lively sound. (Apparently, this is what the "H2O" designation alludes to--after all, what is more transparent than water?) So we agreed that he'd buy the Allums mod kit, ship it along with the pedal to me, and I'd install the mod for a modest fee.

Nelskie's package showed up late last week, and I performed the modification last Friday evening. Very straightforward--just a few components to remove and replace with the Allums-provided upgrades. The biggest change involves the installation of a new dual opamp adapter fitted with a couple of TI NE5532 IC's. Other than that, it's really just a few capacitors and diodes. He also wanted the power indicator LED replaced with a blue one, which I also took care of while I was "under the hood". Buttoned it back up and everything worked perfectly. These Allums mod kits are well designed, and the provided instructions are superb--clear and very nicely illustrated.

I've been playing with the pedal on and off for a couple of days now, and I am truly impressed with it. I don't care for it so much with humbuckers, but this thing just flat SLAYS with a single-coil guitar, like a Strat. It's capable of a fair amount of gain, but it seems to sound it's best with the Drive control between about 10 and 1 o'clock, and the tone just below 12 noon. Very natural tone, just MORE of it, and with a pleasing measure of light distortion coming along for the ride. IMO, the term "transparent" is grossly overused in describing pedals, but this one really epitomizes that quality. I compared it to the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive I bought recently, and even though that's a very good overdrive (especially for $40!), it can't touch this modified BD-2 for true transparency of tone. When I get playing my Strat Plus through it, I just don't want to put the guitar back down. I don't know of a higher compliment I could pay to it than that. Except maybe putting my money where my mouth is, which is exactly what I did last night--I nailed a used BD-2 on eBay and have the H2O Plus mod parts on order.

I'll post some photos and short clip later. But trust me--this one's a winner.

(NOTE: If you're interested in this mod for your own BD-2 but don't feel like doing the work yourself, drop me a PM. I would insist that you actually buy the Allums mod kit ($28), because I think that's only right & fair to Monte, who came up with this superb modification and deserves to make a few bucks from it!)

tunghaichuan
March 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to consider this one.

I picked up a mint, used BD-2 a couple of months ago for modding so your report is very timely. I was considering doing the Premier Guitar set of mods (http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Nov/Boss_BD_2_Mods.aspx), but the H20 Plus mods are intriguing.

tung

...then you might want to SERIOUSLY consider this one:

I heard from old Fret.net alumnus Nelskie recently, asking me if I'd be interested in doing a pedal mod for him. He'd just picked up a lightly used Boss Blues Driver BD-2 at a good price, and wanted to have the Monte Allums "H2O Plus" mod done on it. I'd heard good things about this pedal mod, specifically that it smoothed out the BD-2's tendency for a bit of top-end harshness and really gave the pedal a very clear, articulate, and lively sound. (Apparently, this is what the "H2O" designation alludes to--after all, what is more transparent than water?) So we agreed that he'd buy the Allums mod kit, ship it along with the pedal to me, and I'd install the mod for a modest fee.

Nelskie's package showed up late last week, and I performed the modification last Friday evening. Very straightforward--just a few components to remove and replace with the Allums-provided upgrades. The biggest change involves the installation of a new dual opamp adapter fitted with a couple of TI NE5532 IC's. Other than that, it's really just a few capacitors and diodes. He also wanted the power indicator LED replaced with a blue one, which I also took care of while I was "under the hood". Buttoned it back up and everything worked perfectly. These Allums mod kits are well designed, and the provided instructions are superb--clear and very nicely illustrated.

I've been playing with the pedal on and off for a couple of days now, and I am truly impressed with it. I don't care for it so much with humbuckers, but this thing just flat SLAYS with a single-coil guitar, like a Strat. It's capable of a fair amount of gain, but it seems to sound it's best with the Drive control between about 10 and 1 o'clock, and the tone just below 12 noon. Very natural tone, just MORE of it, and with a pleasing measure of light distortion coming along for the ride. IMO, the term "transparent" is grossly overused in describing pedals, but this one really epitomizes that quality. I compared it to the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive I bought recently, and even though that's a very good overdrive (especially for $40!), it can't touch this modified BD-2 for true transparency of tone. When I get playing my Strat Plus through it, I just don't want to put the guitar back down. I don't know of a higher compliment I could pay to it than that. Except maybe putting my money where my mouth is, which is exactly what I did last night--I nailed a used BD-2 on eBay and have the H2O Plus mod parts on order.

I'll post some photos and short clip later. But trust me--this one's a winner.

(NOTE: If you're interested in this mod for your own BD-2 but don't feel like doing the work yourself, drop me a PM. I would insist that you actually buy the Allums mod kit ($28), because I think that's only right & fair to Monte, who came up with this superb modification and deserves to make a few bucks from it!)

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Don't send Nelsk his pedal back until he posts again on The Fret. ;)

Robert
March 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I have a modded BD-2 and I sure love it with my Suhr strat. It's very transparent. I am not sure exactly how it is modded but I think it's they "typical" Keeley mod. They guy who modded mine calls himself DoobTone - http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/brand/DoobTone

duhvoodooman
March 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Well, I had to get this modded BD-2 back in the mail to Nelskie before I got too attached to it! Didn't get the recording done that I wanted to, but there are a boatload of MP3 links on the Allums pedal mod page (http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#boss_bdh20), and they're a whole lot better than I'll ever be able to do. But my own BD-2 and the mod stuff is all ordered and in transit, so maybe I can do a clip or two on my own pedal when it's done.

A couple of pics, as promised above. Included are a couple of shots of the BD-2 opened up & ready to work on, though I won't post any photos of the PCB with the completed mods out of respect for Monte's intellectual property rights. However, I have included a shot of the mod parts, just so you can see what the component upgrades comprise. And there's a shot of Nelskie's "blue light special" all powered up and ready for jammin'!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/BD2/BD2_apart.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/BD2/BD2_apart_2.jpg
http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/BD2/BD2_mod_parts.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/BD2/BD2_blue_LED.jpg

SuperSwede
March 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Don't send Nelsk his pedal back until he posts again on The Fret. ;)

+1

Yeah, old Nelskie should come back to us :)