PDA

View Full Version : New guitar in the house. Gibby Classic GT

ZMAN
March 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have had my eye on this one for some time. I enquired about a Gibson LP Gold top about a year ago and my tech said he had one in stock. I really wanted a Standard but when he told me the price I knew it had to have it.
I finally traded some gear (a guitar and amp) and some cash and picked it up today. It is a 2006 and it was new in the box. I am surprised how nice the pickups sound through my Marshall/Avatar set up. I had ealier purchased a Gold top copy and it just didn't stack up.
Here are the obligatory pictures.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3030009.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3030008.jpg

PAPPY
March 3rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry Zman, I just got drooooool all over your guitar. Man that is a beauty.

Ch0jin
March 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
Niiiiiice Happy NGD :)

ZMAN
March 3rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys. She sure is sweet. It must be one of the chambered ones because it it almost as light as my Studio.

just strum
March 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
That's it, I'm coming up this weekend to get a live viewing and maybe I can play the 335 while I'm there.

Very nice Zman.

ZMAN
March 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
That is the second NOS guitar I have found at this shop. The last one was a 2004 50th Ann. Strat, that I bought in 2006. He had two of them new in boxes. I was able to get 80% of what I paid for the Amp and guitar I traded, both were purchased from him in 2005. Of course the amp was in the original box with all the packaging in mint condition. He didn't even look at them, because he knows how I am with my gear.
Yea JS head on up. You can play the 335 anytime.

peachhead
March 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
Congrats, man, she is gorgeous.

Robert
March 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Congrats, we are all jealous... :D

t_ross33
March 3rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
classy... *urp* excuse me, just GAS :)

Jimi75
March 4th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Congrats! Your GT is a real beauty!

duhvoodooman
March 4th, 2009, 05:41 AM
WHOA!! Very sweet, Z! :dude: :rockon: :dude:

M29
March 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
That is beautiful man absolutely beautiful:rockon:

Blaze
March 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Wowwwww! lovely ...

ZMAN
March 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The Ceramic pickups are really hot, but you can clean them up pretty good with the tone knobs. The 60s neck is is really nice.
Thanks guys but I can only agree with you it is a beauty.

Brian Krashpad
March 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Yum!

Congrats!

I've been very happy with my LP Classic. The stock pups catch a lot of flak but I had no prob with the sound of mine.

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I love that look. Probably my favorite LP! Congrats!

Lev
March 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM
that's just soo nice Zman!!!

ZMAN
March 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Yes Lev the Vintage GT just whet my appetite. This one has been hanging around my local shop for a while. When they discontinured them I kept thinking it would sell. When I got back from vacation is was still there and I ran some equipment by the manager/tech and since my stuff is always pristine, and usually in the original box he gave me great money as a trade.
The price was quite low and it was a no brainer. I still don't have my Vintage back from a fret level yet, so I can't compare but the gibby sure is sweet.

hubberjub
March 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Such a classic look. That's a beautiful guitar.

bigoldron
March 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
:drool: :AOK: :rockon: :dude:

ZMAN
March 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys. I gave her a good workout yesterday and I am really liking those classic ceramics. I was always worried that they would be too hot for me but I really like them. And did I say it before, I love that 60s neck.
And no complaints from me on fit and finish. I hear a lot of guys are knocking Gibson for their QC but I can't find a flaw.
This is one guitar they SHOULD NOT have discontinued.

Algonquin
March 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Stunning looking guitar! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Beautiful :AOK:

Childbride
March 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
she's a beaut! :D

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I have had my eye on this one for some time. I enquired about a Gibson LP Gold top about a year ago and my tech said he had one in stock. I really wanted a Standard but when he told me the price I knew it had to have it.
I finally traded some gear (a guitar and amp) and some cash and picked it up today. It is a 2006 and it was new in the box. I am surprised how nice the pickups sound through my Marshall/Avatar set up. I had ealier purchased a Gold top copy and it just didn't stack up.
Here are the obligatory pictures.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3030009.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P3030008.jpg

Sweet! :D

oldguy
March 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM
That is a great looking Paula, ZMAN! Les would be proud.:AOK:

marnold
March 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Since I'm not a big fan of that color in general, I don't know why I think goldtops are just to doggone sexy, but they are. I'm more of a Superstrat guy myself but when I look at something like that or a relatively reasonable facsimile (http://www.rondomusic.com/product1350.html) (yeah, that one's spalted maple, but still) and listen to Joe Bonamassa . . . I begin to wonder.

ZMAN
March 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Since the first Les Pauls in 1952 came in the Standard model, the gold top and a higher end model with uprgrades in Black, it think they are the classic colors. I really didn't have an opinion on a Gold top for years and only looked for bursts and solid colors. In the last ten years I have been gassing for a GT. I knew I could not afford a 50s GT and I would not pay the price for a VOS.
As far as the spalted guitar I like "some" grain in my guitars, but am more of a plain top guy.

oldguy
March 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Les Paul wanted the gold finish, he thought it looked classier back in the day.
I think that's why I've always liked them, and still do. Yours looks great, I'd choose it over spalted any day, but I don't care for spalted myself.

mrmudcat
March 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Love goldies .I like the non black backs though.I like it o.g. mahog color back and sides on goldies!!

ZMAN
March 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
This one is a lighter back. I kind of like it.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/Goldtopback.jpg

marnold
March 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I posted the spalted one because they didn't have a goldtop with humbuckers in that model range. I used to think that spalted looked really silly until I saw one up close and personal. Nonetheless, I prefer the goldtop or Black Beauty finishes.

ZMAN
March 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Actually I have seen a picture on this forum of a very good Agile goldtop. In fact it was so good that Gibson made them quit making it. I think Brian Krashpad had a pic of it a while ago.

Viking Power
March 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I'm typically not a fan of yellow gold anything, but that Gold Top is beautiful! Just gorgeous!

Congrats on taking it home and getting a good deal to boot!

EDIT: The first gold top that I saw was an Epi LP and I really liked it as well. The "real deal" though just looks that much sweeter!:D

ZMAN
March 13th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I measured the pickups. Wow they are 8.4 and 14.8. These are by far the hottest humbuckers I have. I have to really tone them down for my blues stuff, other than Gary Moore. Nice light body and I love that 60s neck.
I just can't see why a VOS would be twice as much.

oldguy
March 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I suppose for the same reason the Gibson is more than the Epiphone..........
because it's a "real" VOS, not just a close facsimile.:messedup:

ZMAN
March 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Gibson puts the VOS under the Custom Shop Banner. Nobody has really said how many people work on them. Fender on the other hand two levels of Custom shop guitars. One is known as "team built", and the others are built by an individual.( =big bucks)
What I meant was this is such a well built guitar, how much better can the VOS be?

marnold
March 13th, 2009, 08:47 AM
What I meant was this is such a well built guitar, how much better can the VOS be?
Based on price alone, roughly twice as good.

The reality of the situation is that Gibson charges what they do because they can. The only way prices would drop is if they have a ton of very expensively made guitars that aren't moving.

oldguy
March 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Which was what I meant about the Epiphone. I've read many positive reviews here and elsewhere about how good they are. Often they're compared to the Gibson counterparts, with the headstock being the only way one would know "it's not a Gibson". I figure the pickups and switches may need upgraded when I read those reviews, but for the price difference, how much better can the Gibson be? While I can understand someone wanting the Gibson name on the headstock, I can also see someone wanting the guitar of their dreams to be exactly to VOS's. I can't justify the price, though.
To each his own, I say. That's why we don't all play the same model, and the same music.:)

ZMAN
March 16th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I have owned several Epiphone Les Pauls and I still own an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom. I will say that the Elitist is as nice as any of my Gibsons, in fact I had a Korean Epi Les Paul Custom plus, which I traded foolishly. It was by far the best playing guitar I have ever owned. Back then I was looking for an American Deluxe Strat and used it as a trade in. I have had a problem with every Epi I have owned with the selector switch. I even had to replace the one on my Elitist. Other than the electronics I really like Epis, but I have the ability to own a Gibson so I do. I am not disapointed with any of them.