PDA

View Full Version : Practice! Had to be bureaucratic this time!

Jimi75
March 4th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Folks, time's getting short for the next couple of months due to familiar engagements and I had to ask myself if I "just" want to play guitar and have fun or if there is still unexplored/underdevelopped ground for me on the guitar that I still want to discover - and yes there's still plenty of stuff I would love to learn how to play - and of course I want to have fun learning new stuff. So I had to be the most bureaucratic and come up with this:

Here's my plan and what I came up with:
1. I figured out how long I can really concentrate/focus on one topic / ecercise. You all know that is the most difficult part. As it depends on the current shape you are in I figured a span of max. 30 minutes for me. Due to a.m. engagements I have only 30 minutes to practice.
2. I want to practice 90-120 minutes per week. 3-4 times per week for 30 minutes. If I can really do it like planned that is already a lot of concentrated playing.
3. What to practice? Totally new stuff or improving "old" stuff. I went for alternative number two.
4. I have made an Excel sheet. My goal tempo for all exercises is 100. I start with 25% of the aimed tempo and go forward only if I am able to play the exercise clean and perfect! Every step is 5% more tempo.
5. I completely ignored if the stuff I learn is supporting my current playing style or the music I play with my band. I have just decided to go nuts for at least 4-6 weeks! Why not?!?
6. I rehearse once a week with my band and we play live at least one time per month. I have to be disciplined while practicing, the fun comes when playing live and rehearse. Yes I know, I can be tough to myself at times *lol*
7. I have to be able to measure the success. So I decided to write a log and to work only with a metronome.
8. I will see how far I can get in 4-6 weeks. I update my Excelsheet after every session, at least I make a cross beneath the exercise when exercised :AOK:
9. What did I choose? Tapped Arpeggios, Sweep Arpeggios, Pentatonics, Legato, Triplets. I think I am already able to play these techniques in a more or less "okay" way. Now it's time to perfectionize some of them.
10. If this plan comes together, I will proceed with songs or solos in the same way for another 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for reading and letting me know if I am totally nuts (point 5 might be the most senseless to you)...

J75

marnold
March 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a plan to me!

Robert
March 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
How about
11. Learning Dim 1/2 1 step and 1/2 1 step, altered scale, whole-tone scale, melodic minor and adding them to all the arpeggios etc exercises?

Jimi75
March 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM
How about
11. Learning Dim 1/2 1 step and 1/2 1 step, altered scale, whole-tone scale, melodic minor and adding them to all the arpeggios etc exercises?

Hey that sounds like a perfect addition. Could be phase 2. First of I will improve the foundation. I have started working with the whole half tone scale about 2 months ago and combined it with the myxolydian scale - very cool and definitely stuff that ha to be practiced more intensively.

Thank you!!!

Viking Power
March 4th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Nothing to input advice wise as I am a complete novice.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy seeing threads like this because I think they are very informative for us newbies as far as seeing what a veteran does discipline-wise for practice.

Thanks for the thread!:rockon:

Jimi75
March 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Nothing to input advice wise as I am a complete novice.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy seeing threads like this because I think they are very informative for us newbies as far as seeing what a veteran does discipline-wise for practice.

Thanks for the thread!:rockon:

Thanks that's really a nice comment. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'm here and I'm happy if such a thread is of help to the newer players :-)

tjcurtin1
March 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Jimi - it was interesting to see this; I'm inspired by your focus and dedication. I know that's what it really takes to move forward. I really have to try to muster the will to do the same.

street music
March 4th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Same for me JIMI, Glad to see you so devoted to improvement. I'm kinda recovering from OVER WORKING on the job. Trying to get back into regular practice and hope to expand my song list as the year goes by.