PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I jumped the gun...

thekiwidisciple
March 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Hi all,

Recently ordered and received a Warmoth Telecaster. The neck has SS6100 frets and a 7.25" radius. I have really big hands but I'm starting to get the idea that this is going to be a bit of a pain. I do play a lot of lead, but I also play a lot of chordal stuff. I use very high action and .11-.49 strings.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I haven't assembled it yet, as I'm waiting on pickups.

wingsdad
March 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
For a Tele for big hands consider looking for a G&L ASAT with their "#3" neck: 12" radius, 1 3/4" nut width. By default, the stock ASAT neck is the "#1", 7.5" radius, 1 5/8" nut, modeled after a 50's Fender. Ordering a different neck is a no-extra-charge option. If new is out-of-price-range, ASATs w/ a #3 aren't all that rare, as big-handers go for them, or a #4 neck...1/8" narrower nut than #3, 1/8" wider than #1, same 12" strat-like radius.

ASATs come in various models and pickup configurations. Scope them out here:
G&L Guitars (http://www.glguitars.com/)

thekiwidisciple
March 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
The body itself is important, it's got a design burnt into it. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that I might not be able to bend properly with the round radius and large fretwire.

wingsdad
March 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
You might be able to order a neck, with your choice of fret wire, fingerboard, finish, etc. from G&L or ?. But the issue could be fitting into the neck pocket of your body properly.

Tht 7.25" has got to feel like a pencil in your hands; the 7.5 on my ASAT does after I've played on my Strat.

hubberjub
March 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Though flatter radius fretboards are better for bending the 7.25 never seemed to give Jimi a problem. (I'm speaking of Hendrix not our Jimi).

thekiwidisciple
March 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Wow, I never knew Hendrix played with 7.25 radii...I always assumed they were 9.5 or something...