PDA

View Full Version : The Edge Settings

Blaze
March 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Interesting discussion about The Edge delay settings here ...

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Cool! Thanks, I have been interested in those settings.

just strum
March 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone ever notice the Edge's pedal board? It's the size of a medium deck on the back of a house. Add to that the "Compared to many lead guitarists, The Edge is known for using many more guitars during a show. According to his guitar tech Dallas Schoo, a typical lead guitarist uses four or five different guitars in one night, whereas The Edge takes 45 on the road, and uses 17 to 19 in one 2.5-hour concert. He is estimated to have more than 200 guitars in the studio."

and

VERTIGO TOUR AMPS:
Per Guitar World: 2005 & TOTAL GUITAR Nov 2005

FENDER - DELUXE TWEED - 1956 - w/vintage Vox 12-inch speaker
FENDER - DELUXE TWEED - 1958 - w/ original Jensen Alnico 12-inch speaker
(Customized) FENDER - BLUES JUNIOR - Xxxx - (This amp was used primarily for the shimmer tones.)VOX - AC30TB - 1962
VOX - AC30TB - 1964 (# 1/ main)
VOX - AC30TB - early 1970's(w/ vintage Jensen Bulldog speakers
(Custom) VOX Head with 2 X 12 cabinet

The amps have different settings, some for more 'crunch'/drive than others.

He also has many boosts, overdrives and distortions.

Ampeg Scrambler (used on the Elevation tour and early in Vertigo tour, later replaced by Durham "Sex Drive")
Boss FA-1 pre-amp / booster
Boss PW-2 Power Driver
Durham "Sex Drive"
Electro-Harmonix "Big Muff"
Ibanez TS-9 Tube-Screamer
Sobbat DB-1 Drivebreaker
Line 6 DM4 Pro (Rack version of the Line 6 DM4 pedal - custom-made only for The Edge)
Skyrdstrup Bufferrooster - boost

Robert
March 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks Strummy, thanks to you, we now have to go get a few more guitars so we reach 45... :) or at least 17-19 for when we're rocking in the basement for 2.5 hours! haha

just strum
March 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks Strummy, thanks to you, we now have to go get a few more guitars so we reach 45... :) or at least 17-19 for when we're rocking in the basement for 2.5 hours! haha

Just put a handle on top of Spud's house and carry it home with you. Sort of a 45 pack to go.

Plank_Spanker
March 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Anyone ever notice the Edge's pedal board? It's the size of a medium deck on the back of a house. Add to that the "Compared to many lead guitarists, The Edge is known for using many more guitars during a show. According to his guitar tech Dallas Schoo, a typical lead guitarist uses four or five different guitars in one night, whereas The Edge takes 45 on the road, and uses 17 to 19 in one 2.5-hour concert. He is estimated to have more than 200 guitars in the studio."

and

VERTIGO TOUR AMPS:
Per Guitar World: 2005 & TOTAL GUITAR Nov 2005

FENDER - DELUXE TWEED - 1956 - w/vintage Vox 12-inch speaker
FENDER - DELUXE TWEED - 1958 - w/ original Jensen Alnico 12-inch speaker
(Customized) FENDER - BLUES JUNIOR - Xxxx - (This amp was used primarily for the shimmer tones.)VOX - AC30TB - 1962
VOX - AC30TB - 1964 (# 1/ main)
VOX - AC30TB - early 1970's(w/ vintage Jensen Bulldog speakers
(Custom) VOX Head with 2 X 12 cabinet

The amps have different settings, some for more 'crunch'/drive than others.

He also has many boosts, overdrives and distortions.

Ampeg Scrambler (used on the Elevation tour and early in Vertigo tour, later replaced by Durham "Sex Drive")
Boss FA-1 pre-amp / booster
Boss PW-2 Power Driver
Durham "Sex Drive"
Electro-Harmonix "Big Muff"
Ibanez TS-9 Tube-Screamer
Sobbat DB-1 Drivebreaker
Line 6 DM4 Pro (Rack version of the Line 6 DM4 pedal - custom-made only for The Edge)
Skyrdstrup Bufferrooster - boost

Or......................you could just buy a Fractal Audio Axe FX and have The Edge in just one box......................:D

Lev
March 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
funny that this topic has come up, I've been busy rehearsing with my new cover band for our first show on St Patricks night. We're doing quite a few U2 songs and I'd been struggling with getting the right U2 sound. This article pointed me to a Line6 tonecore Echo Park, and I have to say it does a great job. There's a couple of things to keep in mind when playing U2:
1) your delay pedal needs a tap tempo - if the delay is not right on the money with the tempo of the song it will not sound right (delay time knobs just don't cut it). If your pedal has a dotted eight setting all the better, you can tap in the quarter notes and you get back eights.
2) Modulated delay - ie a little chorus gets applied to the repeats but not to the original signal, this creates a warm ambient delay and lands you right into the Edges sound.

I spent alot of time researching this and the Line6 echo park was the only pedal that fulfilled all this criteria for less than $150 - a great little pedal!!

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Good tips Lev! I love my MXR carbon copy delay, but it is analog, and does not have tap tempo. I would love to add a digital one with tap tempo, and you gave me some things to consider.

Blaze
March 6th, 2009, 09:22 AM
The line 6 Echo Park seems to be a pretty decent tap tempo versatile delay unit for $109.99 on Amazone ..

TK5UHR-T8-8

MJYhpo0LZ7o&feature

8DeZIXxH0uY&feature

Lev
March 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
the main criticism I've seen has been about the noise if you're daisy chaning the power supply from other effects. You need to give it it's own power, also some complain that the tap tempo/pedal engage is difficult to master - I found it to be a piece of cake - tap light for tempo, stomp to engage!!

I think that Line6 is one of those companies that people like to bash so I'd take reviews with a pinch of salt.