PDA

View Full Version : Off to the States tomorrow morning!

thearabianmage
March 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Woo hoo!

I have been hired as a guitar tech for a local band who are touring the southern states and we are heading off tomorrow! This time tomorrow night, I will be in Miami - the next night in Louisiana, back to Florida, up to Georgia (home!), down to Alabama, and back to Florida to finish off the tour over a total of 10 days.

I am well excited. . . It's been 2 1/2 years since I've been back to the States. . . I need to get at least some of my accent back. . .

If anybody's up for seeing an alright metal band, it should be a right laugh!

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Get your accent back? Its those Brits that have the accent, though if you are from Georgia, I guess you might have a southern one as well. I won't be in the area to see your metal band, but I hope you have a great trip!

ZMAN
March 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I just got back from Marco Island Florida, on the gulf side down alligator alley a couple of hours drive from Miami.
Be prepared for 80 degree weather.

guitartango
March 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM
"Get your accent back? Its those Brits that have the accent, "

Now now, you have been watching too many TV shows with fake British accents.

typical cyptic tank , us Limeys always talk posh :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
"Get your accent back? Its those Brits that have the accent, "

Now now, you have been watching too many TV shows with fake British accents.

typical cyptic tank , us Limeys always talk posh :D
Posh Brit is the worst. ;)

thearabianmage
March 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Posh Brit? Where? :D

My accent is absolutely unique from what I can tell. Americans think I'm British and Britons think I'm American/Australian/South African/Canadian/New Zealand'an(?)

A mix between the South of America and the South of England. I'm just southern.

Although that is funny about the fake British accents in American telly and cinema. It's sooo true! Brits can do American accents but Americans can't do British accents. . . I've always wondered why that is. . .

just strum
March 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hey, for you, isn't tomorrow today. If so, are you here? If not, when is tomorrow, if it is not today? Is it Friday or is it Thursday.

And while I am at it, if it is Friday there, let me know what is going to happen, because here, the land of no accent, it is still Thursday.

Fortunately Wednesday is past for all of us.

thearabianmage
March 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hey, for you, isn't tomorrow today. If so, are you here? If not, when is tomorrow, if it is not today? Is it Friday or is it Thursday.

And while I am at it, if it is Friday there, let me know what is going to happen, because here, the land of no accent, it is still Thursday.

Fortunately Wednesday is past for all of us.

:bravo: A good bit of light humour to help with the packing. Today is Friday, but I originally posted the message on Thursday. I should be landing in Georgia around 6PM local-time tomorrow - for you - but still today here - then Miami at 11 - which would be Saturday here, but Friday there. Then, an hour later, it's Saturday in both places. :D

just strum
March 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Safe trip. I wish I was in Florida for your arrival. Feel free for you and the band to stay at Warrens house, tell em Strum sent ya!!!

Again, safe trip and don't eat too many peanuts on the way over.

thearabianmage
March 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Again, safe trip and don't eat too many peanuts on the way over.

Thanks - and if it gets to the point where I do eat too many peanuts, I could always ask for pretzels :D

Bloozcat
March 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Supposed to be 79 degrees F here this weekend on South Florida's east coast. Probably a little warmer south of me. Low humidity this time of year, so it'll feel perfect.

Some American actors speak bad American accented English. Is it little wonder then that they can't do a proper British accent...:D

Two exceptions that come to mind:

Lisa Eickhorn when she played an English woman in the WWII movie Yanks She was good enough to fool the British director.

Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones Diary.

tjcurtin1
March 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
AMage - have a great trip, and welcome back!

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2009, 06:18 AM
So you in Florida yet 'mage?

Suhnton
March 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Have a good trip, and don't forget to pick me up some duty free :)

bigoldron
March 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Did you say that you're a GEORGIA BOY? Well, I certainly couldn't tell it from reading your posts. All I can say is "Welcome home, Brother!" Glad to have you back in the South. Good luck with the tour! :AOK:

BTW Strum, there's nothing wrong with eating peanuts, only those from Peanut Corporation of America (which is only 25 miles from here). Peanuts are a big part of our local economy. We're a rural, agricultural area and our two biggest crops are peanuts and cotton. PCA has done a LOT of damage to the peanut industry, but a lot of the scare was IMO overblown. Sure, there was a lot of tainted goods they shipped out and they probably had done so for a long period of time, but nobody got sick until recently. And, nobody's gotten sick since a lot of their stuff was pulled. The problem is that people over-react and avoid ALL peanut products, which hurts everyone else, regardless of any problems real or perceived. OK, enough, I'll get off my stump now. I think I'll go eat a Snickers. :munch:

just strum
March 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM
BTW Strum, there's nothing wrong with eating peanuts,

Ronnie ole boy, go back and read my post, there was nothing in there regarding peanuts being bad or dangerous, or whatever it is you may be trying to defend.

It was meant in the intent it was written - "Don't eat too many peanuts" , not "Don't eat the peanuts, because they may kill ya". It could have been "don't eat too much lobster, but the airlines don't tend to serve it".

Geez, first the e-mail from Jimmy Carter, and now you.:D

tot_Ou_tard
March 8th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It could have been "don't eat too much lobster, but the airlines don't tend to serve it".

Lobster no, but eel yes.

Although airline eel is nasty stuff. Rubbery, slimy, stinky.

Stick with the poisoned peanuts.

:D:poke:Right Ron?:poke::D

just strum
March 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Lobster no, but eel yes.

Although airline eel is nasty stuff. Rubbery, slimy, stinky.

Stick with the poisoned peanuts.

:D:poke:Right Ron?:poke::D

you mean the "...a lot of the scare was IMO overblown" 9 deaths, 600 illnesses, with cases turning up in 44 States?

I supported you Ronnie, I never stopped eating Reese Cups at any point during the scare. Now, to show your thanks, fly around the world on (or in) a commercial jet to support the industry that effects me - aerospace.

bigoldron
March 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I recant. You win...

just strum
March 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I recant. You win...

Hey, don't recant, I came up with a plan to support our economy.

1) we (fretters) fly to Waco (married couples only) and eat peanuts on the way - supports our interests

2) we file for divorce from our spouse in Waco (I know a couple of good lawyers there) - supports Waco's economy

3) we celebrate by having peanut butter and Canadian bacon sandwiches - more support for your local economy and our friends up north.

4) Fly back and eat more peanuts - again, helps both of the economies in our area.

Ronnie, I was just busting your b's earlier. Truthfully that could happen to any food related industry and it wasn't peanut butter that caused it - it was negligence that caused it.

Ch0jin
March 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Posh Brit? Where? :D

My accent is absolutely unique from what I can tell. Americans think I'm British and Britons think I'm American/Australian/South African/Canadian/New Zealand'an(?)

Although that is funny about the fake British accents in American telly and cinema. It's sooo true! Brits can do American accents but Americans can't do British accents. . . I've always wondered why that is. . .

Good luck with the techin' mate! I'd love to go see some metal, but alas, ur too far away :)

Just to help out with the above...

I've been told that non-English speakers and for some reason I don't actually fathom, Americans, find it hard to tell the difference between Australian, South African and (to answer your other question, it's safe just to say Kiwi, not New Zealand'an haha.) accents so thats pretty normal. On Xbox I get asked often if I'm Canadian because when I'm drunk I often accidently adopt an American accent, subconsciously mimicking those I play online with. Americans though realise it sounds "funny" so just assume I'm Canadian :)

If you want to hear a real mangled accent in Film though, look for anyone trying to do an Australian accent. They are rarely (if ever) even close. I remember that Simpson's episode where they went to Australia. Man, I don't know what accent that was, but it sure as heck wasn't like mine haha.

tot_Ou_tard
March 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I've been told that non-English speakers and for some reason I don't actually fathom, Americans, find it hard to tell the difference between Australian, South African and (to answer your other question, it's safe just to say Kiwi, not New Zealand'an haha.) accents so thats pretty normal. I can tell Brit, from Oz, from South African, & from Canuck. I haven't heard much Kiwi--other than Flight of the Conchordes ;)--to be able to distinguish it.

I had a friend. At parties we would ask people where they thought he was from.

Australia was a big winner as was South Africa.

He was German. :D