PDA

View Full Version : Falling Down - A song I've been working on

Robert
July 18th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Give me your opinion on this "backing track". I started this stong quite some time ago but I never finished it. It needs some good lead playing (or maybe some vocals) and I will be adding some lead guitar to it some day. Until then, I'm hoping that some fretters here can do something fun with it.

It's called "Falling Down".

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/sound_files/falling-down.mp3

Excuse the ending - something went wrong at the end of the song. There's a loud noise for some reason. My computer is probably having trouble handling the processing power, exporting from Cubase.

Mark
July 18th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Real nice Robert! I like it, just spent the last half hour noodling around with it.

SuperSwede
July 19th, 2006, 02:32 AM
A really good recording Robert! A little Allanah Myles inspired? I liked it!

Katastrophe
July 19th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Very nice, Robert! I really like that backing track. I'm real interested to hear the lead you have planned. I bet it will sound great.:DR :R :D

Robert
July 19th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Alannah Myles? No, she was not the influence on this one.

jpfeifer
July 19th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Hi Robert,

I loved this backing track. Really nice groove. I also like the tone of your guitar. How did you record the guitar part?

I'm sure that you can add some ripping lead to this.

-- Jim

Robert
July 19th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I miked my Vox AD50VT with an SM-57 close up, into my Tascam US-122. I then added chorus and delay in Cubase. I used those free VST plugins from http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

I used my Telecaster on this one.

Thanks!

Nelskie
July 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Cool jam, Robert. To me, the song had kind of a Robben Ford-ish feel to. As I was listening to it, I was imagining his voice singing the vocals. As for the lead, I'm sure you have some great ideas already. I'm hearing a Strat middle p'up tone through a slightly over-driven Soldano, and maybe the same rig with a little touch-wah for for a few fills here and there. We all look forward to hearing what you cook up. ;)

Robert
July 19th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks Nelskie, but I think YOU need to pick up your axe this time and give us some Nelskie- Mojo! Right Fretters? (this is called Peer Pressure...)

ted s
July 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Nelskie Nelskie... give'r

Guitar-Chris
July 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Nelskie Nelskie... give'r

Nelskie, Nelskie (increasing pressure ;)

SuperSwede
July 20th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Nelskie! Please record something for us! :)

Justaguyin_nc
July 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Great Backing Robert... can't wait to hear some fretters on it.. I know Swede already has one..:) Thanks for the link to the VST Classics also.. they work in Audition with the Graphics and all.. Audacity does not support the Graphics end but the plug-ins work fine in it also with sliders...

Nelskie: Don't worry about it buddy.. this is a pressure free board which we all appreciate just for that reason.. I'll be the last one to ask you to plug that G&L into that Cyber Twin and let go with it... Even if I been waiting a year to hear that Cyber-Twin.. I can wait another year... when The time comes I know you will let us hear it... If I was you, I would wait till Tone2da'bone turns one loose... ;) (Pressure release valve hit)

Tim
July 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM
The fingers are pointing at you Nelskie. Let's get with it. All them guitars just sitting there waiting to be played.

Justaguyin_nc
July 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Fear not Nelskie...

I will RIP into a song in a minute no matter what it ends up sounding like.. I have no shame.. :)

Here is my take for a minute...

http://www.savefile.com/files/6952168

Using my Strat MIM 60's and Cyber-Champ....

Bet a better player with a G&L and Cyber-Twin could really make this backing sound good... cough..

Robert
July 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Cool to hear someone take the plunge! Good take Justa!

Justaguyin_nc
July 22nd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks Robert... have to bump this back on top... gotta get the Swede and Nelskie and and and etc etc etc to put a take on this up.. don't want to see it buried and overlooked..:)

What was on your mind when you named it Robert?

Robert
July 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM
On my mind? Well, going to that G chord after playing that main thing in A made it seem like the song is falling down on G all the time, but it's not in the key of G. The key of the song is A minor.

Plus I think it sounds cool - that is the most important thing, ain't it? :)

aeolian
July 22nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
I took a few stabs at it improvising over Robert's backing track and this is the most presentable of them, which is not saying much with my feeble guitar playing. I used my Heritage H535 through my J-Station when I recorded this. Hope it is not too laughable.

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/improv.mp3

aeolian

oldguy
July 22nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Justaguy, Aoelian, I think it's pretty neat how each person adds their own seasoning to the stew, as it were. As another language, music lends itself nicely to different accents. I worked on this before I heard the other interpretations. I like them all! Thanks, Robert! Thanks, fellow pickers!
I took a stab at it, Robert. Great backing track! I used my Epi Jr. head through a 2x12 cab with a little echo and a Washburn x9 strat copy. PLEASE forgive the noise at the beginning! (cheap mike):( .
Glenn
http://www.savefile.com/projects2.php?fid=2269143&pid=225298&key=660570

aeolian
July 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
Good job from both Justa and oldguy. I like them both. Can't wait to see what others come up with.

aeolian

Justaguyin_nc
July 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Justaguy, Aoelian, I think it's pretty neat how each person adds their own seasoning to the stew, as it were. As another language, music lends itself nicely to different accents.

thanks guys..
Nice job Oldguy and Aoelian... this is probably the main reason I like comming here... listening to others take backing trax and try to create something more with it... thought you guys did fantastic.. can't wait to hear more... and it is really strange how the seasoning is tossed into the mix..:) Swede? you out there with that seasoning? who will be next? Tim? Warren? ummm Nelskie? :rolleyes:

SuperSwede
July 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Oldguy, Justa & aeolian. I enjoyed your recordings!

Justa, I might fire up the ´lab and have a shot at this but right now I am in the middle of repainting all the outside furniture (and eventually the garage as well... sigh) so be patient ;)

Nelskie
July 23rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
My, my. I didn't realize that my not posting clips would cause such clamor amongst our regulars. I almost feel like Wyatt Earp getting called out to the OK Corral for gunfight.

That being said, perhaps it is time to appease the natives with a small dose of my own brand of "have mercy". I'll see what I can "rustle up" here these next few weeks - - in between painting our house and re-building the deck off our master bedroom. Indeed, no rest for the wicked . . . !

Say, did I mention how much I enjoy the relaxed, casual atmosphere of Fret Net . . . ? :rolleyes:

Justaguyin_nc
July 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
I think the greatest misjustice done to mankind is the introduction of the "HoneyDo's".. who knows what great artist have gone un-noticed because they fell to suchs deeds, just bowing their heads and replying "Yes Dear"... granted this comes from a divorced man... ;)

to keep on topic.. thank you Nelskie and Swede...we await your returns.. :)

duhvoodooman
July 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
I always seem to lose patience with myself somewhere around a minute-and-a-half, but Robert's background had such a nice groove, I couldn't resist at least giving it a try. LP, bridge p'up, Vox AD30VT on UK70's with a dollop of Bad Monkey and a dash of reverb....

Falling DVM (http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/falling-dvm.mp3)

Robert
July 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Nice takes, guys! I dig them all! It is always fun to hear others play to something you've created yourself - kinda cool, you know?! Ahh, music is a wonderful thing!