PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Palm Centro

Spudman
March 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
It's time to renew our cell phone contract and I'm tired of lugging a separate Palm around with my phone. I'm just wondering if the Centro is any good. Does it work well as a speaker phone? What do you think of it?

just strum
March 6th, 2009, 05:02 PM
It's time to renew our cell phone contract and I'm tired of lugging a separate Palm around with my phone. I'm just wondering if the Centro is any good. Does it work well as a speaker phone? What do you think of it?

There are a couple of sites that give decent reviews that cover battery life, camera and reception. I've been looking for a phone and have gone to a couple of sites. What I look for are sites that rate some phones as being poor, and then I try a number of sites to look for consistency.

I usually start here

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/palm-centro-glacier-white/4505-6452_7-32862854.html

Spudman
March 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks Strummy. I've checked a few sites as well but I just wanted to hear from someone here that might have had hands on with one. FYI - there are some good videos on you tube too.

just strum
March 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
The thing I like about Cnet is they are all tested under the same conditions, which helps for comparison purposes. To clarify my comment "...that rate some phones as being poor" shows that they aren't one of those sites that seems to deem every product "A great device, a must have".

As for getting reviews here, the only thing that I would be concerned with, is the conditions where they use their phone. Someone that is in the center of NY may state the reception is bad, but where you live could be just the opposite.

Of course there is the "carrier" issue too - can you hear me now?

I guess like guitars, the more info, the better you are equipped to make a decision.

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I had a Palm Treo, but it had some difficulties. I do not know if that relates to the Centro or not. I did like having my PDA and phone merged, but those functions stopped working, they replaced the phone, and when they stopped working again, I dumped it.

Bloozcat
March 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
My wife really hates her Treo. I don't even like touching it. I've never seen a phone that drops call like that one just by picking it up. Thing misses lots of calls too.

Having said that, I'm not so sure that there are any of the too-many-tasks cell phone that are without annoying quirks.

SuperSwede
March 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I have a HTC Touch Cruise which is quite nice, but I will possibly get a iPhone next time..

just strum
March 10th, 2009, 04:27 PM
My wife really hates her Treo. I don't even like touching it. I've never seen a phone that drops call like that one just by picking it up. Thing misses lots of calls too.

Having said that, I'm not so sure that there are any of the too-many-tasks cell phone that are without annoying quirks.

I stick with the simple clam shell style, in May I'm probably going to get the LG VX8360. So far, I haven't found another review that beats it for the features I look for. I have Verizon and never have dropped calls. Verizon in my area is the best, but I've heard people in other States comment that they don't like them.