PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else loving Octavia pedals?

Robert
March 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I just love the funky octave up sound! :bravo:

I think it's one of the coolest "wacky" effects there are. It doesn't work for all kinds of music of course, but I love it nonetheless. I use it wherever I can.

Since my Dunlop Octave Fuzz is having issues, I have a new Octa Fuzzy on order, made by a dear friend of ours. He frequents this board and he's a wizard with a soldering iron... guess who that might be... :)

Listen here:

2Yukcuq45cE
fQ8Ejst7VkI&NR=1

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
And it's all assembled, with painting & decaling starting today. This is the just-released-last-week redesign of the BYOC Octave Fuzz, and has the top-side mounted jacks for added pedalboard convenience. Otherwise, the same circuit as the original kit, with that same characteristic Hendrixian "Purple Haze" solo tone. Here's what it will look like:

Blaze
March 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Shur is a cool effect Rob but tell me when are gonna use it ,on Hendrix-Trower stuff and then what ?

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM
BTW, does anyone else find the name of that Voodoo Labs pedal just a bit unfortunate? Proctavia?? Is that what a proctologist uses when he plays Hendrix? Or maybe it's the perfect pedal when you want to sound like an ***hole? :rotflmao:

Robert
March 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm gonna use it LOTS! Any time I play a solo, I can switch it on for some cool effects. It's one of my favorite sounds.

R_of_G
March 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM
My Danelectro Dan O Wah pedal has a built in octave divider. Fun stuff. I use it sparingly, but it definitely adds some cool tones to the palette.

Ro3b
March 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
The parallel-octave-up thing is is what I mainly use my Whammy for. I like to lean back on the treadle just a little so the high note isn't quite in tune. It's a lovely, ugly sound. If I hit it just right I can make all the garage doors in my neighborhood go up and down.

duhvoodooman
March 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Robert's Octafuzzy pedal is shipping out to him today. Here are a couple of photos and a link to a very brief sample clip. Recorded on my Strat Plus, neck p'up into a clean amp emulation in my Gearbox Plugin software. A short riff played up around the 12th fret is repeated 3 times: clean, octave-fuzz, fuzz only (octave effect switched off). The photo of the top is kind of washed out by the flash of the camera. I tried to deepen the color a bit with editing software, but could only do so much. Actual graphics color is deeper/richer than that looks.

Octafuzzy Sample Clip (http://www.box.net/shared/x2cvv5xfe7)

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/octafuzz_top.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/octafuzz_gut.jpg

Trivia for fellow pedal-builders: the audio transformer in this effect is the largest single electrical component I've ever mounted on a PCB, not counting switches and pots. That's what generates the octave effect.

ragnarpk
March 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
ooh love the proctavia...

P.J.
May 10th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Shur is a cool effect Rob but tell me when are gonna use it ,on Hendrix-Trower stuff and then what ?

Octave up stuff can be used for lots more than just Hendrix and Trower. If you play double stops you can get a cool ring mod. sound using an octave pedal which can be very cool. Octave pedals can also give your guitar an analog synth sound that can be very cool, especially if you use modulation or trem along w/ it. Great for adding interest to simple rhythm ideas.

"Everybody dance now...."

=-) PJ