PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Robert!

kerc
July 19th, 2006, 06:27 AM
This is one of the friendliest, relaxed, and informative music forums around. Lots of cool people here who know to keep things in check--no stupid behavior from anyone!

Congrats! :D

Robert
July 19th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Thank you, but it's not me to thank. This place is made up of all the great members we have, so THANK YOU, all of you fretter brothers! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, ideas and feedback and for the inspiration (and GAS attacks of course...) you bring to this place.

t_ross33
July 19th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I agree, nice to find such a supportive group. We should plan a reunion/jam weekend. We have at least 2 months of great weather here on the Canadian Prairies, eh Robert? :D

SuperSwede
July 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM
so THANK YOU, all of you fretter brothers!

Thanks yourself Robert! (its a shame that we dont have a sister tho.. ;) )

Robert
July 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yes, let's do a JAM sometime! Swedes, Brazilians, Germans and Americans, etc, you can all come to somewhere around the Alberta/Saskatchewan border, okay?:D

Hey, maybe we should have contest - whoever can get a girl to sign up and be active on the Fret should get a prize of some sort? :) A Helllo Kitty guitar?

jpfeifer
July 19th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I agree,

This group is a very positive group compared to some of the forums that I've visited in the past. As a matter of fact I submitted a post on an acoustic guitar site the other day, helping out a guy with some questions about compressors and some other guy joins into the thread and starts handing out insults to everyone, saying how stupid we all were .... I couldn't believe it. That's when I thought to myself "that would never happen on thefret.net"

I think the main reason I like thefret.net is the members of are here because they all love guitar, and like to share ideas with other like-minded people. Thanks to everyone!

-- Jim

tremoloman
July 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I'm all for a jam, but I'm at least 3,000 miles away from Vancouver. :(

I'm very happy Robert started this board - it's so much better than that other place I used to reside that just boots members whenever he feels like it.

t_ross33
July 19th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I'm all for a jam, but I'm at least 3,000 miles away from Vancouver. :(

Well, we could save you at least SOME of the bus fare...we're still East of the Rockies :D

Of course, they call Saskatchewan "The Gap"...you know, the gap between Winnipeg and Edmonton :mad: I kinda take that personal-like.

Trev

SuperSwede
July 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
3000 miles??? bah! thats nothing :D

Katastrophe
July 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM
May I suggest Austin? It is the Live Music Capital of Texas, you know ;) .

Seriously, though, this forum does great for a number of reasons, and here's my $.02.

Robert and VitalMyles established a very relaxed, friendly atmosphere here, centered around one concept: a love of guitars and playing. The rules are fairly enforced, with out alot of the drama and nastiness that goes on at other forums. Robert participates often and is always a source for positive comments. He starts threads of his own and joins in on others. In short, he sets the pace here, not by issuing stern edicts, but by "leading from the front," and treating others like he would want to be treated. Pretty darned commendable, and rare in this day and age.

The maturity level here is high. There's no flaming going on, and nobody is belittled for having a different point of view. Everybody it seems by unspoken agreement to use manners, which is again rare in this day and age.

We also have a good mix of experience levels here, from recorded, gigging musicians to beginners just starting out.

I would like to issue the "Thank You" to Robert and Myles, the mods, and the other members here for making this such a fun place to be.

And Robert - Wimmens? We don't need no steenking wimmens! (unless Jennifer Batten wants to join, or Lita Ford, or Susan Tedeschi, or Bonnie Raitt, or any one of the number of women that can outplay me with their hands tied behind their backs) They'll be all tryin' to hang ferns up in here, starting threads like "Does this Strat make my butt look big?" ;)

The preceding content was made for humor purposes only, and does not seek to belittle or make fun of any one person, group or gender.

t_ross33
July 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM
They'll be all tryin' to hang ferns up in here, starting threads like "Does this Strat make my butt look big?"
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! THAT is freakin' FUNNY! Thanks Kat, I needed that (having a crappy afternoon)...

Things are shaping up though... big gig coming up this weekend (our first club gig as a band - first club gig for most of us in 20 odd years. Should be fun!) and we are hosting an open jam session Saturday afternoon 3-7PM with prizes and giveaways. Any takers ?:) I'll buy a beer for anyone who comes on stage and claims to be a FretNet brother (or sister) :R We'll be at the Bella Vista Inn, Humboldt Saskatchewan Canada. CU THERE!

Trev

Robert
July 20th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Maybe I'll drop in on of your gigs in Humboldt some day!

Thanks Kat, we have a good atmosphere here. But we do need Wimmens - they can tell us the secret of how to get beautiful girls in front of the stage when we play live, instead of the hammered, beyond their best years, overly fat and nerdy bozos we usually end up playing for... :eek: You know, the ones to shout "Play Sweet Home Alabama!" (which is a good song, but it's the one request I hear a million times a night) Which ones would you rather look at while you're playing? :)

oldguy
July 20th, 2006, 04:59 PM
LOL, Robert!
The one most requested in the midwest is "Old time rock and roll" by Bob Seger (another good song), but after playing it 5 times a night... well, you know. Thank you, Robert, for a great site filled with great pickers!:D
Glenn

t_ross33
July 20th, 2006, 05:39 PM
The ones I was dreading ever playing again were:

Sweet Home Alabama
Takin' Care of Business
Old Time Rock and Roll

But ya know what, crowds are so into these old familiar tunes that they are (or at least can be) a lot of fun to play and really rock out on :R I can attest that these songs definately increase liquor sales :D

P.S. I'd rather look at the young ladies, does that make me a perverted old man :D or just a wanna-be-rock-star :R

t_ross33
July 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe I'll drop in on of your gigs in Humboldt some day!

Love to have you Robert! Our band could use a guitar player :D

Spudman
July 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM
But we do need Wimmens - they can tell us the secret of how to get beautiful girls in front of the stage when we play live, instead of the hammered, beyond their best years, overly fat and nerdy bozos we usually end up playing for... :eek:

Shoot. That's easy. Play Stir It Up or some cool Jimmy Cliff or Bob Marley tune so they can seaweed dance and they'll be right there in front of you in no time. Oh ya, it helps if someone on stage looks like Fabio or Antonio Banderas.

SuperSwede
July 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM
The preceding content was made for humor purposes only, and does not seek to belittle or make fun of any one person, group or gender.

Fantastic, I must steal that and add it to my signature. Thanks Katastrophe, I almost spray painted the monitor :D

Katastrophe
July 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Fantastic, I must steal that and add it to my signature. Thanks Katastrophe, I almost spray painted the monitor :D

I would be honored! :D

Bloozcat
July 26th, 2006, 07:28 AM
One of the major differences between this and most other forums (not all), is that the members here address each other as if they were standing in front of that other person. There is a gentlemanly respect for that other poster as a man (or woman, should that occur), and not just as an anonymous tag name. If a get together were to occur, the members here would come together as friends, with nothing to be ashamed of in how we have treated each other in this forum. A rare occurance indeed in this age of largely impersonal internet communication.

I visit quite a few different forums. No matter which forum I'm on, I always exercise a certain personal code of conduct. This is one of the few forums that I've found where everyone acts in the same manner.

Robert
July 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Yes, we do indeed have a great crowd. Thanks all of you for keeping this place so great!

warren0728
July 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM
bloozcat,

i have had two in person "meetups" with members of this forum and both were pleasant experiences. I would gladly meet with them again....

ww

Tim
July 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I think one of the reasons why this group is very personal and positive starts when a new person signs in and introduces himself. A majority of the full time Fret Net members give them a personal hello and welcome. This starts each new member with a “welcomed” feeling which develops into a brotherhood. As mentioned several times by other members, that sisterhoods are welcomed also.

Look at our new member Razor. So far he has had 12 welcomes to the Fret Net. For sure more will come as the older members check in. That, I believe is what impacts people when they visit the Fret Net.

We all should be proud of this forum, but it is mostly because of Robert and the ever elusive Vitalmyles.

My two cents.

Warren - We will meet up again soon. Hopefully we will both be a little more experienced in our jamming talent. Actually those of us in Florida need to schedule a Floridian jam session. Centrally located of course.

Myles
July 31st, 2006, 11:33 AM
... and the ever elusive Vitalmyles.

Still here, still reading :)

f1point7
August 2nd, 2006, 01:43 AM
Thank you, but it's not me to thank. This place is made up of all the great members we have, so THANK YOU, all of you fretter brothers! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, ideas and feedback and for the inspiration (and GAS attacks of course...) you bring to this place.

pls excuse my ignorance but what does GAS stand for?

Guitar-Chris
August 2nd, 2006, 02:22 AM
pls excuse my ignorance but what does GAS stand for?

From Wikipedia:
Gear Acquisition Syndrome, used by musicians (e.g. guitarists, keyboard/synthesizer players, drummers etc.) and amateur photographers amongst themselves to express their (somewhat compulsive) need for buying more gear.

So: Are you having GAS? I definitely have. But: I managed yesterday to go into real big musicstore and.... bought nothing! Am i cured?

f1point7
August 2nd, 2006, 03:24 AM
well in that case, i definitely have GAS. and it's not the kind you just pass ;)