PDA

View Full Version : Seeking - 'Epoxying a fretless neck' 101

msteeln
March 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I plan on getting a fretless bass asap, and if it seems like it would benefit greatly from an epoxy or polyester application, I'll go for it.
Doesn't seem like there is anyone around my neck of the woods that is experienced at it, and those in the mainland are X $, years worth of waiting, and I'm not into shipping, so it may fall into my hands

Anybody here have real experience with this, or suggestions who can do it without busting my wallet?
I want it to mirror a pro job.

Here's an example of the best - www.woodwiz.com/epoxy/pictures.html

marnold
March 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I know this has been discussed several times on the TalkBass forums (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45), although all the conversations I've read have been with somebody else doing it. It looks really slick (literally and figuratively) when it is done well. Please keep us updated on the progress of this project!

msteeln
March 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanx, marnold, I'm a TB member (as Bass V) and have been following the various info concerning this greatly.
I'll be happy to report on the eventual proceedings, pro or..., gasp, con...

marnold
March 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Thanx, marnold, I'm a TB member (as Bass V) and have been following the various info concerning this greatly.
I'll be happy to report on the eventual proceedings, pro or..., gasp, con...
I'm on there too--same handle.

I got a chance to play a toofless bass while on vacation last spring. It was kind of a cool experience, but it definitely would take some getting used to. I'm happy with my toofed Spector.

msteeln
March 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
1) I'm on there too--same handle.
2) I got a chance to play a toofless bass while on vacation last spring. It was kind of a cool experience, but it definitely would take some getting used to. I'm happy with my toofed Spector.1) Cool, I'll be watching for you.:beer:
2) I thot all was just dandy until I saw the thread today about the Novax fretless!:thwap: