PDA

View Full Version : Saw Steely Dan concert last night ...

jpfeifer
July 19th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I saw a Steely Dan and Michael McDonald concert last night. I'm a big fan of Steely Dan since the first time that I heard the Asia album. I've always followed their list of top studio guitar players on their records and admired all the great solos in their songs.

The guitar playing was handled by Walter Becker and John Herrington (their latest addition) at their show last night. John Herrington played some great solo's. He was getting the same kinds of sounds as the original solos for songs like Peg, My Old School, Don't Take Me Alive, and others. But he was also adding his own stuff to these familar songs. He was able to cop the same feel and tone as the original solos but then add an extra flash to it from his own style. I really enjoyed listening to him. I think that he actually improved on some of the solos versus the original recordings, which would have been a very tough act to follow considering the guys who played these original solos (Skunk Baxter, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, etc)

Anyway it was a very inspiring show.

I also enjoyed Michael McDonald's guitarist. He was playing one of those new Line 6 Variax guitars and it sounded fantastic. I'd never seen anyone using those live yet, but this guy was doing all kinds of great sounds with it, especially Les Paul and 335 tones.

-- Jim

Bloozcat
July 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
It's good to hear that Steely Dan is still putting on a good show...as rare as they've been over the years. That would be a tough show to take on the road, I would imagine. Their albums were always a composite of studio artist greats with a few visiting artists from other bands mixed in.

jpfeifer
July 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Bloozcat,

Yeah, they did a great job of recreating their sounds from their recordings. They had a full horn section, a second keyboard player, and backup vocalists for filling out all of those great harmonies. They also brought Michael McDonald out to sing/play for about half of their set. It sounded great when he was added to the mix, especially on songs like Peg and Hey Nineteen.

Its kind of funny because they never toured in their heyday of the mid/late 70's. They only toured for their first album and they were pretty much a studio band after that point. They've probably played more live in the recent past then they ever did when they had so many hits.

-- Jim

M29
July 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Hello jpfeifer,

That would be great to see Steely Dan, I always like the song My Old School. I think Skunk did the solo on that but I am not sure. I always loved that solo. I remember reading an aritcle by Skunk Baxter and he was always building guitars out of odd things like toilet seats and what not. He just loved what ever sound it ended up making. He sure could play.

M29

jpfeifer
July 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Hi M29,

One of my only encounters with a famous guitar player was with Skunk Baxter, oddly enough. I was at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas several years ago doing demos at our company booth on the show flloor. During that year XM Sattelite Radio was sponsoring a live radio spot at their booth, interviewing a bunch of famous musicians. I wandered over to their booth and discovered Skunk Baxter just sitting in in a chair over in the corner by himself. I approached him and mentioned that I was a big fan of his playing from his days with Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers, etc. He was a really nice guy. He even gave to me a signed photo. I asked him about that song "My Old School" and he did confirm that it was him playing the guitar solo. It's one of my all time favorite guitar solos.

-- Jim

Spudman
July 20th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I'm excited myself. I'll be working with Michael McDonald with the Doobie Brothers in August. The other band on the bill is The Little River Band. They used to have a smoking hot bass player in the original band and I hope he's the guy that shows up.

jpfeifer
July 21st, 2006, 09:38 AM
Spudman,

Cool, is your band warming up for Michael McDonald or are you going to be playing with him?

-- Jim

Spudman
July 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Spudman,

Cool, is your band warming up for Michael McDonald or are you going to be playing with him?

-- Jim

I'm providing the catering for the event. So I get to be there early and hang out with everyone while the general public is kept at bay.

jpfeifer
July 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM
Spudman,

Sounds great. Although you're working, it still sounds like it could be fun.
If you get a chance check out the guitar player in his group. He's playing some great stuff. Also, the sax player was incredible. He was playing some great solos, he was even better than the sax player for Steely Dan's group.

-- Jim