PDA

View Full Version : Tubes - What brand is the best?

tonym
March 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone.

After reading a ton of threads out here, and on other forums, I just wanted others opinions on who you think currently has the best tubes on the market. Overall best manufacturer/brand, or who you've had the best experience with. (Regardless of type 12AX7, EL84, 6L6, etc.)

Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks.

Thanks

-Tony

TS808
March 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I've owned amps with Sovtek, Groove Tubes, JJ's, Electro Harmonix, etc....plus some "no name" tubes from China. To be honest, I haven't noticed much difference between certain brands. Maybe if I cranked all my tube amps to the max, I'd notice some differences, but in my opinion, alot of the nuances are pretty subtle.

markb
March 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
First off, welcome, Tonym.

Where valves are concerned it pays to remember that some of these brands are simply rebadging operations. I can think of GT, EH, Ruby and Fender (who use GTs) in this category. The other factor is that different manufacturers may be best at different valves. If your question was "who makes the best type x tube?" it might be easier to answer. Also the best 6L6 type for say, a Boogie Mark series is not necessarily the best 6L6 for a Fender Bassman. What amp are you thinking of revalving?

oldguy
March 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I like JJ's from Eurotubes.

tonym
March 8th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

I do see you point about rebranding, and manufacture - to - amp matching. The reason for my question was really at a high level what brand do people have the best luck with, for sound, longevity, etc. I didn't have any specific tube to amp match in mind. Like you I've used a number of them, and tried different types with different amps.

Right now how have a old Bassman I was thinking about changing out, as well as an old Univox head that needs some new tubes. I was thinking about trying the JJ/Tesla tubes; based on a lot of the rap on here people like them. Have you had any experience with them?

Thanks for the feed back.
-Tony

TS808
March 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

I do see you point about rebranding, and manufacture - to - amp matching. The reason for my question was really at a high level what brand do people have the best luck with, for sound, longevity, etc. I didn't have any specific tube to amp match in mind. Like you I've used a number of them, and tried different types with different amps.

Right now how have a old Bassman I was thinking about changing out, as well as an old Univox head that needs some new tubes. I was thinking about trying the JJ/Tesla tubes; based on a lot of the rap on here people like them. Have you had any experience with them?

Thanks for the feed back.
-Tony

I put a complete set of JJ's in my Delta Blues 210 and there is a difference, but to me, it was pretty subtle. It didn't change the character of the amp that much. I think Eurotubes are great to deal with though, and they're customer service is fantastic, and their prices are reasonable too.

Tubes though are kind of like light bulbs...some will last for years, whereas others may crap out after a few weeks. I've always had good luck with tubes though lasting for a long time, and have used GT's, Electro Harmonix, and JJ's.

tunghaichuan
March 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Just about any NOS tube is going to be superior in terms of longevity and tone to current production tubes made in Russia, the Slovak Republic, or China. The manufacturers in the Golden Age of tubes, RCA, GE, Tung-sol, Sylvania, Mullard, Brimar, Philips, Genelex, all made tubes to tight tolerances of superior materials.

The quality of modern manufacture tubes has increased in the last few years. Still not up to Western tubes of the 50s and 60s, but getting there. They still don't last as long as NOS tubes.

Tone is a more subjective thing. I grew up with NOS tubes, so I tend to like their tone better.

Another thing to consider is that vintage gear was voiced for current production tubes of the era. So my thinking is that a 60s Fender is going to sound best with NOS tubes. OTOH, modern production amps *may* be voiced to sound better with current production tubes. But maybe not, depending on whether or not the amp is a copy of a vintage circuit.

Of course there are always exceptions to this. The Sovtek "5881" is not really a 5881, nor is it in the 6L6 family. I don't think they sound very good in vintage equipment. However, they do sound great in the Soldano SLO.

In terms of current production tubes, each brand has good ones and marginal ones. For example, I like the Sovtek KT66 that was relabeled by Groove Tubes. I don't like most of their other tubes. JJ makes a great EL84, but I've heard that some of their other tubes aren't that great.

HTH,

tung

Bloozcat
March 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I didn't see a "yes" option in the poll....:D

Different amps like different tubes. Some love NOS tubes, while some amps actually like new production better because they were voiced for readily available and affordable tubes.

Now if someone said what tube brand is best and I'll give you a bucket full, I'd be saving, NOS RCA, Tungsram, Tung Sol, Genelex, GE, Mullard.....:D

goonrick
March 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
For tubes of modern manufacture I prefer JJs and EHs. Pretty much any NOS of any stature is going to have more 'mojo' though. There's no way around that. Most modern amps I've outfitted with JJs has sounded really good, though they sounded good with the stock Sovteks as well. Things like the spiral filament 12AX7 help a bunch with noise and the durability of JJs is quite good. They're probably the tightest spec. manufacturer going these days.

Bloozcat
March 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM
To stick with new manufacture tubes, there's still not one "best" in my mind. A lot depends on the tube and the application:

EL84's - 1)JJ's, 2)TAD's
6V6's - 1)Tung Sol re-issue 6V6GT 2) JJ's, 3) EH 6V6GT
5881's - 1)Tung Sol re-issues - no other "real" 5881's out there
EL34's - 1)Winged =C= SED/Tung Sol re-issue - toss-up. 2) Svetlana
6L6GC's - 1)Winged =C= SED, 2) TAD 6L6GC-STR, 3) JJ's
KT66's - 1)Gold Lion's, 2) Shuguangs not far behind
7027A's - 1) JJ's (really the only horse in town)

Pre-Amp Tubes

12AX7's - Tung Sol re-issues, Mullard re-issues, EH, Sovtek 12AX7LPS, Shuguang 7th, 8th,9th generation - take your pick. Different tone/gain structures for different taste. IMHO, tubes that I don't like as dark, mushy, dull - JJ 12AX7, Sovtek 12AX7WA/WB

12AT7/ECC81 - JJ's

5771 - Sovtek's

tunghaichuan
March 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
KT66's - 1)Gold Lion's, 2) Shuguangs not far behind

Groove Tubes sold a decent KT66 which was Russian made in the Reflektor plant under the KT66HP label. It hasn't been made for a while and it didn't really sound like a NOS KT66. But it was a good sounding tube and was relatively inexpensive.

7027A's - 1) JJ's (really the only horse in town)

There is evidence that that the 7027 was nothing more than a repinned 6L6. RCA was notorious for doing this their tubes:

http://www.triodeel.com/7027.htm

I don't see why it would be any difference with modern production tubes.

I like the new EH 12AX7EH and agree, the Sovtek 12AX7WA/B/WXT were all kind of dark and mushy sounding .

I got lucky a few years ago and picked up about 40 NOS RCA 12AT7s at a hamfest for $20. There were about 100 tubes in the box. Several of the 12AT7s were black plates. :AOK: So I'm pretty well set for them.

tung

Bloozcat
March 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Groove Tubes sold a decent KT66 which was Russian made in the Reflektor plant under the KT66HP label. It hasn't been made for a while and it didn't really sound like a NOS KT66. But it was a good sounding tube and was relatively inexpensive.

There is evidence that that the 7027 was nothing more than a repinned 6L6. RCA was notorious for doing this their tubes:

http://www.triodeel.com/7027.htm

I don't see why it would be any difference with modern production tubes.

I like the new EH 12AX7EH and agree, the Sovtek 12AX7WA/B/WXT were all kind of dark and mushy sounding .

I got lucky a few years ago and picked up about 40 NOS RCA 12AT7s at a hamfest for $20. There were about 100 tubes in the box. Several of the 12AT7s were black plates. :AOK: So I'm pretty well set for them.

tung

I do remember that Reflektor KT66HP. I believe that Lord Valve had some and gave them his thumbs up.

I just sold my Ampeg V2, so I'm very familiar with the whole 7027A/6L6GC controversy. There is no convincing some people that an NOS 7581A is a far better choice for their V2/V4 than the new production JJ 7027A (which isn't a bad tube). Someone out there has apparently convinced enough people that they'll have output transformers burning up if they try using a 6L6GC type tube in their V2/V4 Ampegs. I sold my Ampeg with JJ7027A's in it, and the guy who bought it asked if it had 7027A's in it because 6L6GC's would burn the OT up. I told him it had JJ 7027A's in it. So, I have a spare pair of NOS 7581A's as backups for my 65 Bandmaster should they be needed...probably 15-20 years down the road...;)

Good score on those 12AT7's tung. Must have been several years ago that you found them. Ham fests used to be a great place to find guitar amp tubes, but I've found that the hams, like most of us, have wised up about the NOS tubes....even the ones they don't have use for themselves.

I still have 4-JAN Philips 12AT7's left, but they can still be had for a not too outrageous a price. I'm glad I picked up a half dozen GE JAN 12AX7WA's when I found them at $12.00 a tube a few years ago. They're selling for $65.00 a piece now from KCA NOS Tubes...:eek:

When I'm looking for NOS today, I just drop an e-mail to Terry Kilgore (a.k.a., tubetramp). He finds more deals on NOS tubes than anyone I know.

schenkadere
March 26th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I like JJ's from Eurotubes.

Me too...and the service and shipment time is top notch...nice guys and extremely helpful!

kiteman
March 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I retubed two of my amps (Blues Jr and BH Handsome Devil) with Mullard reissues. They sounded pretty good but when they were cooking (hot) the tone comes out sounding sweet.

sunvalleylaw
March 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM
This kind!

0zLD6U1TtbQ

Ok, I'm sorry. For now I vote Sovtek, because they made the groove tubes that are in my amph. If I re-tube, I guess I will call those folks in Oregon and check out the JJ's.