PDA

View Full Version : Karen Carpenter was the best

Andy
March 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I can't think of any singer that was more in your face with feeling.. and gifted than Karen Carpenter,

I listen to some of her songs and .. it brings tears to my eyes.

please ..if you have never paid much attention to her, give it a listen

alot of people claim that it seems like she's singing right in front of you (due to Richard carpenters production) he never hid or augmented her vioce ..what you hear is what was recorded voice to mic..

In my opinion she is untouchable.

I know this is a guitar forum but you can't hide an amazing talent..

her voice is one of the most beautifull instruments I have ever heard
and I miss her, the loss of Karen is tragic to me..( and I'm a rocker ...go figure) but I know supreme talent when I hear it.

luvmyshiner
March 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Andy . . . sniff . . . you just brought a tear to old Shiner's eye.:cry:

See Strum, I'm not the only one on the forum who appreciates Karen.:tongue:

Andy
March 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Andy . . . sniff . . . you just brought a tear to old Shiner's eye.:cry:

See Strum, I'm not the only one on the forum who appreciates Karen.:tongue:

Karen is a prime example of how much music can move someone.. a voice that can never be touched.

I can't express my love for her, thats how much I'm moved by her talent

Spudman
March 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM
She certainly had a great vocal gift.

Rocket
March 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I listen to some of her songs and .. it brings tears to my eyes.

I get a similar queasy feeling.

...(due to Richard carpenters production) he never hid or augmented her vioce...
Should have produced her a sandwich.

In my opinion she is untouchable.
Quarter-century decomposed? Not even with a vaulting pole.

Spudman
March 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I get a similar queasy feeling.

Should have produced her a sandwich.

Quarter-century decomposed? Not even with a vaulting pole.

Do you always darken the room when you enter?

wingsdad
March 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Prob'ly my favorite of hers.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Mh3XeEFQug&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Mh3XeEFQug&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rocket
March 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Do you always darken the room when you enter?
Not always... but by that inquiry I'll assume honesty & personal opinion, (that doesn't duplicate your's or someone else's,) is now verboten at Fret.net... even as humor/parody, (however dark it may be interpreted?)

Was your inquiry directed solely at me for some personal reason or are you willing to go through all past threads & posts from all members, (including your own,) to edit content from any reference to humor/parody?

Are people not allowed to speak their mind in your country... goose-step in formation or be removed, (or worse?)

I'm sure grateful it's still allowed in my country Herr Oberst!

(Before anyone rectally self-impales on a twig, note that I merely answered the question asked of me, without hostility, profanity, or derogatory name-calling, explained intention, made an assumption, and asked follow-up questions of my own because I have an inherently curious mind... I would never presume to intentionally attack or insult a "Moderator".)

tot_Ou_tard
March 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
(Before anyone rectally self-impales on a twig, ....)
Dang...there goes my evening

& I had the cutest lil' twig all picked out.

tjcurtin1
March 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hey, Rocket - I don't think that Spud was saying that anything that you said was verboten; it seemed to me a pretty gentle observation on the darkness of your humor and its application in this particular instance. I have to say that my own response on reading it was that it pushed the civility envelope a bit, even if that was not your intention. A forum shares that problem with email - the nuances that might be picked up in a face-to-face situation get lost, and it's easy to misread tone. I'm guessing that that was what underlied Spuds response.

Rx Tone
March 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
If Mama Cass had given Karen that ham sandwich, they'd both still be alive.:rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm with you Shiner and Andy! I was a fan way back. Honestly, she was probably the first artist I was a fan of! One of my first crushes too.

dPmbT5XC-q0

sdHyzGXAJPg&feature=related

tyoc
March 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I don't know much of the carpenters, but personally I love this song
6inwzOooXRU

Monkus
March 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
"Close to you" was one of the first songs I remember. I used to wait for it on the radio ... it usually played on a Sunday evening. Great talent.

M29
March 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
What a talent, I had not heard her play drums in a long time, she was very very good. What a talent!

Andy
March 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
About the song - Superstar

After her brother played the original song to her, she did a quick run thru of her interpretation, reading from the lyric sheet.

On her second attempt, it went to tape and thats whats on the record.
like I said ,,she just had that inherent talent.you would think that alot of work went into her vocals on the song but it just came natural , I find that all the more amazing

As far as Rocket's opinions or comments, I'm cool with it , everyone has an opinion. I have mine and I'm posting it, but not evereyone is a Karen Carpenter fan,, thats understandable.

wingsdad
March 16th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for that insight on 'superstar', Andy. ;)

Looks like a Karen/Carpenters fan recently put together this remix on youtube of 3 of the videos of the classic wedding reception mainstay for bride & groom 1st dance song, written by Paul Williams to be a bank commercial, but overpowered (in a good sense) by Karen.

I thought it fitting to put it in this tribute thread you started:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZswoD2Sijf4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZswoD2Sijf4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>