PDA

View Full Version : Ah ha moment

mcgreggor57
March 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
As a beginner, I'm sure there will be many such moments in my guitar education. One of these times happened last night as muscle memory finally kicked in. I was strumming a simple I IV V progression when my fingers found the C major on their own. They just fell into place naturally, Pretty cool for a newbie.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Spudman
March 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
The body can remember a lot if given the information consistently repetitively. That's how I learn songs too. It's just over and over until it's automatic.

Congratulations. You must be playing more.

just strum
March 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Those are great moments. To compare it to your other passion - sort of like hitting off the tee and you never feel the club hitting the ball. It's when it all comes together.

luvmyshiner
March 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Good for you Mcgreggor. Hang in there my friend. The more you play, the more frequently those moments come.:AOK:

mcgreggor57
March 11th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys! Since buying a guitar that's set up properly, I've been playing a lot more. Partially because it fits me much better and also to justify my purchase :AOK: It's these little victories that keep me picking it up and strumming.

Mark, there are a lot of parallels between guitar and golf. You hit the nail on the head with the most notable similarity... great results can come out of an effortless execution. Of course, playing guitar can humble you just as quickly as playing golf :D

oldguy
March 11th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Keep up the good work. The more ah-ha moments you have, the easier it gets, and the more you enjoy.

evenkeel
March 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Very cool!! thanks for sharing that. :bravo: :beer:

And the good news is, no matter how long you play or how good you get, you can still get those moments. Always something new to have fun with.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Of course, playing guitar can humble you just as quickly as playing golf :D

+1 in agreement.

BluesHowler
March 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Of course, playing guitar can humble you just as quickly as playing golf :D

That's very true! I've been playing (or playing at) golf for over 8 years and I suck at the game.

I've been playing guitar a little over a year and feel that if I put the same effort practicing towards guitar as I have golf I'll suck just a bit less at guitar than golf.