PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson back?

Robert
March 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
At least he's performing in London, for the last time too, apparently.

What do you think of him? He had some good songs (Billy Jean, Thriller), but I was never a fan of his music, personally.

----
Singer Michael Jackson has revealed the dates of his shows at London's O2.

The self-styled King of Pop will make his return to the stage in July with a 10-night residency.

More than a million people have reportedly registered to buy tickets, which go on sale in two stages later this week.

The shows will take place on 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22, 24, 26 and 28 July. Promoter Randy Phillips said demand had "exceeded our wildest expectations".

R_of_G
March 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I loved The Jackson 5. The adult Michael Jackson I can do without.

sumitomo
March 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yea when he and the family were performing it was great.Now well he's just flat scary,Zombie that's the word I'm lookin fer.Sumi:D

Ch0jin
March 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Far as I'm concerned he's a child molester walking free.

Suhnton
March 11th, 2009, 02:05 AM
"Off The Wall" and "Thriller" were killer albums. I don't think he's ever been completely sane, but IMHO he's lost his mind and the music has gone with it. Has he put out any new music? An extraordinary talent gone to waste...

Kazz
March 11th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Ok.....I am admittedly younger than alot of the members here...but at 40 I come in at older than quite a few too.

I remember the Jackson 5 and Michael was a cute kid....could perform well. Papa Joe should have been convicted for the things he put those kids through.

The early years were great. Thriller was one of the best albums of all times and for us guitar players, Steve Stevens on Dirty Diana, Edward Van Halen on Beat It, and Slash kicking in on Black and White were amazing songs.

The guy has his place in the music hall of fame....and certainly the dance hall of fame.

On to the show tho.....for every great piece of music he has left us with, he has turned into a freak show with all of the plastic surgery so that he can change his appearance enough to almost appear Caucasian instead of his native appearance.

Then there is the children issues that date back at least as far as Macauley Culkin. The dude is sick plain and simple. No amount of great music or album sales can diminish that fact, nor the fact that his money and fame was able to get him off much like Orenthal James Simpson.

bigoldron
March 11th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I agree with R_of_G and Ch0jin. The J5 were a pretty good group, but I can live without the adult Michael. Yeah, the song Thriller was OK - it did have EVH playing on it. But, Jackson is a psychopathic child molester who needs to be institutionalized for his own (and any kids') protection. No doubt, there'll be sold out shows when he performs, but you can bet I won't be there! :puke:

oldguy
March 11th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I liked some of his music, but wouldn't go see him live.
I think Kazz has the right idea, remember the good things he did, but be aware of who he has become.

Suhnton
March 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Far as I'm concerned he's a child molester walking free.

I hear he's going to be performing live down your way very soon.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I can remember in high school when ABC came out, big hit and popular within the group I hung out with. I was a big Motown fan (still am), so their music appealed to me.

Some of MJ's solo stuff was good Billie Jean, Beat It, Man in the Mirror, Black and White, Smooth Criminal (one of my favorites),Way You Make Me Feel.

Despite my like for some of his music, it never prompted me to buy a CD

He was a very well produced artist.
But one strange fella.

Ch0jin
March 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I hear he's going to be performing live down your way very soon.

No idea, I haven't really been following his tour announcements as you'd gather from my previous post :)

I have no doubt however that tens of thousands of clueless pop fans will pay through the nose to go watch him perform though. It's no secret he's cash strapped, so maybe after he uses the revenue from this tour to pay off his creditors he'll disappear back to Bahrain.

The level of devotion shown by some fans though is frankly stunning. I googled his tour dates to see if he was coming here and the first news site I looked at had dozens of comments like the following..

Michael is not only an artistic genius, but also an intelligent man who is well aware of the changes in music. I am positive his come back will embrace the needs of both the new generation and multitudes of his old fans. I was a teenager when first smitten by Michael Jackson 25 years ago and I have taught my children to love him. Wasn't I thrilled to see the joy on my 17-year-old daughter's face and my 12-year-old son's MJ spin when I shared the news of the King of Pop's return this morning! The man has a new generation of fans waiting to embrace him. Saddened by his return? Eat your heart out!

Endless love...

I don't know about you guys, but I find that disturbing.

Oh and one other thing for BigoldRon..

When I first read your post referencing "J5" I had to do a quick double take because in my mind "J5" = Jurassic 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_5) not Jackson 5 haha.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM
No idea, I haven't really been following his tour announcements...

Transparent denial:D :D :D :poke:

R_of_G
March 11th, 2009, 08:24 PM
One more positive for Michael Jackson, he was a great guest star on The Simpsons in the episode "Stark Raving Dad" in which Homer is sent to a mental hospital where he rooms with a man who claims to be Michael Jackson despite being a 300 pound white man. Jackson did the voice and he was pretty funny. It was also very early in the run of the show (first episode of Season 3) so it was a fairly bold move at the time for an established celebrity to appear on the show.

At least he didn't molest Bart. :D

just strum
March 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
At least he didn't molest Bart. :D

Case pending

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I loved watching the Jackson 5 as a kid. I have sometimes thought of Michael as a classic example of loss of innocence. Comparing the Jackson 5 to today says it all. Of course, we now know that his "innocent" days were not so innocent, at least if you are talking about how his parents and the adults in his life handled things. At least what the media says about it. Anyway, sad story.

Tone2TheBone
March 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
He lost me after "Off The Wall". "Thriller" was ok too.