PDA

View Full Version : Sad days - 17 murdered in Germany, 11 in Alabama

Robert
March 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
This is just awful. Horrendous.

Rocket
March 11th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Yup... and with the worldwide financial losses and job market dumps, be prepared for a bunch more bad news.

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Words cannot express how horrible and pointless these murders are.

I really dont think that it is appropriate to compare that to the worldwide economy or "other bad news"...

Rocket
March 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I really dont think that it is appropriate...

Historically, when people lose their means of living as they've become accustomed along with all or their savings & investments futures they tend to become depressed, desperate, and suicidal, even sometimes striking out against everyone & everything.

I'll guess that it's not as much of a problem in Sweden...

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Rocket, there is a BIG difference in losing your children and losing your money.

Rocket
March 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Rocket, there is a BIG difference in losing your children and losing your money.
Not to everyone.
People think differently, that's why many of them reside in prisons... not every human thinks as clearly as you might.
Human life means absolutely nothing to some people but personal security means everything in a capitalist society.

Algonquin
March 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I don't know what to say, other than loosing your kids has to be one of the worst things in the world to happen to you.

No parent should have to bury a child.

I'm at a loss for words

Jimi75
March 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
What a horrible day. I was at home with my wife and the TV was running when the news came up. I still can not believe what has happened here in Germany. It is so sad, I am really in a loss for words.

street music
March 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I haven't heard anything, been at work all day? What took place?

R_of_G
March 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I haven't heard anything, been at work all day? What took place?

This: http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN1125738820090311

and this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/4974618/German-shooting-Cold-blooded-killed-gunned-down-pupils-in-silence.html

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I think the economy and the world situation in general is what brings on things like this - it's called STRESS!!! SS, I don't think it's a case of putting children or humans in general on the same level as money. However, the people involved in these things sometimes do. When you lose your money, people often feel they lost everything and they decide to take themselves out and sometimes people close to them. It is also often an act of people that have lost their job and they decide to go after the people they feel are to blame.

I don't think Rocket or anyone here (well, maybe one or two) would put money and human life on the same level, but money ranks very high in the minds of many.

I was raised in a dirt poor family and busted my butt to have the things I have, but I never forget my roots and realize it could all be gone in the blink of an eye.

Didn't mean to take this further down, just clarifying something that I feel was misinterpreted here.

Spudman
March 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I think Rocket has a point. I think the bad news that he might be referring to is what I can see potentially coming and that all the frustration is going to increase the violence. I can't say with 100% assuredness that it will happen, but if you look at how during the holidays the violence from hopelessness seems to escalate then it's a possibility. People senselessly kill because of the desperation and failure they feel sometimes. There are going to be a lot of people feeling hopeless because of the economy issues. Lets just hope that more violence doesn't happen though.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I just read the article about the Germany incident. It is always sad to see that, but when there are kids involved, the sadness tends to include anger too.

As for the Alabama incident, when I went to bed last night they were reporting 9 dead (including the gunman).

It all sucks.

Rocket
March 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think Rocket has a point. I think the bad news that he might be referring to is what I can see potentially coming and that all the frustration is going to increase the violence. I can't say with 100% assuredness that it will happen, but if you look at how during the holidays the violence from hopelessness seems to escalate then it's a possibility. People senselessly kill because of the desperation and failure they feel sometimes. There are going to be a lot of people feeling hopeless because of the economy issues. Lets just hope that more violence doesn't happen though.
Thank you for getting my point.
Often it's very difficult for other, less greed-driven societies to grasp just how dollar-worshipping our culture has become and the lengths some people will go to hold on to their "pile of minutia"... and what monsters they can revert to once it is taken away from them, (or even when they lose it due to their own stupidity.)
I've seen it everywhere in the US.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I don't think Rocket or anyone here (well, maybe one or two) would put money and human life on the same level...

Before it's misread, the portion in RED is meant as humor, not meant as what I believe.

street music
March 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have read some of the reports, I DIDN'T CATCH IT ON THE NEWS. I can see where stress plays a part in some of this but I see where there must have been trouble brewing on these people for a long while.
The gun control groups are happy to see such tragic events take place so they add fuel to the purpose they fight for.
I would think in the coming months you will see more acts of crime and violence than ever before as people loose their live long earnings, jobs, home and many have no knowledge of how to grow their own food or expect to have handouts bring themback to a great way of living.

street music
March 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Rocket, I was typing during your last post.

I AGREE 100% with you.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 05:07 PM
When you look at the violence in Iraq and other parts of the world, we should take on the behavior of one Iraqi - throw shoes at each other. Although steel toe would become the shoe of choice and maybe labeled an assault shoe.

Rocket
March 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM
...many have no knowledge of how to grow their own food or expect to have handouts bring themback to a great way of living.
Another solid point that probably deserves its own thread!
Most people in US have totally forgotten, (or never learned,) how to fend for themselves when the technology fails... (and it WILL fail, sooner or later.)
Smart survivors better, at least, learn to get back to basics and start embracing Ms. Nature, if not for themselves but for those that depend on them.

(Note: Thread started darkly... I won't take the blame for this one!)

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 05:21 PM
It's a good thread (don't lock it). It makes people look within.

I am a "half-full" person and believe that we, as one society, will wake up. No need to debate that, just making a IMHO comment.

What happen in the past 24 hours is just a fraction of the tragic events that happen everyday in the world - it's the numbers that give it international exposure. No one hears about the one or two man aircraft that goes down, but let it be a commercial airliner with 80 people, and the world knows about it. In addition, it is analyzed for days, sometimes weeks by the media.

So despite the news yesterday and today, it is just a sad product of human nature that has been with us since the arrival of man.

tot_Ou_tard
March 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Whether or not these particular insanities are correlated to the current economic woes, Rocket is sadly likely to be correct. Hard economic times can breed hard people.

The good people can really shine as well. Let's hope that there are some of those.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM
More people need to take joy in music.

Simple fix, for a complex problem. Sometimes we overlook simplicity. Anyone familiar with "Lean Management" will understand that comment.

R_of_G
March 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
More people need to take joy in music.

Simple fix, for a complex problem. Sometimes we overlook simplicity. Anyone familiar with "Lean Management" will understand that comment.

Another excellent point Strum. :bravo:

I lost my job last November when my former company was forced to cut jobs because of the economic crunch. It was incredibly depressing but the bright side is that I get to spend much more time with my daughter and much more time playing my guitar. I wouldn't be prone to violence in the first place, but having a guitar on which to take out my frustrations certainly helps.

That said, I completely understand the points Rocket and Spud are making. My anecdotal experience is not indicative of the way everyone else would/will handle similar situations. It's the unfortunate reality that some people will react to duress with violence. It sucks that it's the reality, but it's nonetheless true.

just strum
March 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Let me say this to anyone that is out of work or has a fear of losing their job.

I have lost a job three times in my adult life 1) when I was single (party time) 2) Married and shortly after the birth of our first child (scary). 3) Shortly after our second child and just four months after building our house (major debt and really scary).

Each time I ended up in equal or better paying job, I ended up working where I enjoyed things better than the job I had lost. My last job was one I hated, but I was there for 15 years, so it wasn't always that way - the point is, things will get better. It may not be money, but it may be something you enjoy more.

Also, the media is making this situation worse than it already is. They love reporting about downsizing, they love to report states that have hit double digit unemployment.

So, 10% of the people in some States (or wherever you are located) are unemployed - that means 90% are working, that's nothing to sneeze at. If I had a lottery ticket worth a possible $10 million and told you there was a 90% chance you could win if you purchased it from me, I think you would buy it in a heart beat.

Forget about the 10%, focus on the 90% and remember you are better than some portion of that 90%. So get out there and announce it to the companies in your area.

bigoldron
March 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Both events are extremely sad, but I agree that with our world-wide situation, we're probably going to see more events like these. Everyone is feeling the stress and desperation from all of our over-whelming, suffocating problems. The bad part is, it doesn't look like it's going to any better any time soon. The scary thing about the Alabama shootings is that they happened about 45 miles or so away. It could have easily have been here instead of there.

We're all lucky to be alive and should be thankful for what we do have. I don't think Robert wants religion discussed here, so I'll abide by that, but I do think we need to pray God's guidance and strength during all this turmoil. We also need to stop tearing others down and work at building each other up. That's one good thing about this forum is that we pretty much get along. We don't always agree, but, for the most part, we're not too disagreeable.

You're a great bunch of guys and gals and I for one am proud have you as my friends and acquaintances! Guitar playing not only is a hobby for me, but I use it to help relax and forget the troubles of the day. You Guitar Players/Fretters also help me to cope with life too. Thanks for being the great bunch you are!