PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Advice on a Pickguard

marnold
March 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Someone on the Floyd Rose forum posted a link to this evilBay auction selling tortoise shell pickguards (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170298636946) designed for my Floyd DST-3. What do you think about the red look with black pickups and a tortoise pickguard? Heck, for the price I might as well just buy one and be done with it.

I found this guitar online with a similar setup except my pups are black and there's a Floyd.
http://www.cyrguitars.com/Gallery_StratRedTS10034-1S.jpg

tunghaichuan
March 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I think black pickups with the tortoise shell pickguard and a red boody would look pretty cool. Does he have a black pickguard for sale? I think a black pickguard with black pickups on a red body would look better, personally. FWIW.

EDIT: for $10 plus $2+ shipping, it is a great deal. I'd buy it if it were me.

tung

Someone on the Floyd Rose forum posted a link to this evilBay auction selling tortoise shell pickguards (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170298636946) designed for my Floyd DST-3. What do you think about the red look with black pickups and a tortoise pickguard? Heck, for the price I might as well just buy one and be done with it.

I found this guitar online with a similar setup except my pups are black and there's a Floyd.
http://www.cyrguitars.com/Gallery_StratRedTS10034-1S.jpg

marnold
March 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think black pickups with the tortoise shell pickguard and a red boody would look pretty cool. Does he have a black pickguard for sale? I think a black pickguard with black pickups on a red body would look better, personally.
I am 100% in agreement with you on that one, Tung. Unfortunately he has no other HSS ones. I've never been the hugest fan of the white pearloid one that I've got now, although I think it looks tons better with black pickups. It would cost me a small fortune to get a black one made custom. If that seller would ever come up with some black ones I could get it and still wouldn't be out but a fraction of what a custom-made one would cost.

I've often toyed with the idea of getting a tort one on my blonde '51 but never pulled the trigger.

sunvalleylaw
March 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM
LOL! Before I clicked on your thread, the answer for advice in my head was "Buy a tortoise shell one." I like it! :D

marnold
March 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM
LOL! Before I clicked on your thread, the answer for advice in my head was "Buy a tortoise shell one." I like it! :D
Any chance you've got some thoughts on the lottery numbers? :)

marnold
March 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I contacted the seller and it sounds like he's got some none-more-black ones. Insert evil grin here.

bigoldron
March 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Rev. Rawk, what do you think we're going to say? Of course we think you should get it! It'll look way good! I'd like to have one for my latest Yamaha project, but it's hard (excuse me, darn near impossible) to find pickguards for it.

Go for it Rev!

TS808
March 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I saw Doyle Bramhall II playing a red strat one time with a tortoise pickguard. I thought it looked great, and decided at that point that if I ever got a red strat, it was getting a tortoise pickguard.

I never got that red strat, so go for it!! :AOK:

markb
March 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM
My favourite Fender colour scheme of all time was a translucent red over ash with black guard and hardware and maple board. I almost bought a '79 strat just because it was that finish. The fact it weighed about 12lbs and had all the tone of a housebrick made me see sense in the end :) I think that was when I started guitar shopping with my hands and ears rather than my eyes.

marnold
March 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
As I mentioned, he does have some black ones so once he posts an auction, I'm getting one. Heck, I might as well get one of each so I can swap as the spirit so moves me. A black one would definitely give it a more aggressive, metal look, which is right up my alley.

I agree with you, Mark, about the looks vs. tone debate. With the pickup swap I took care of the tone part. Now it's just some eye candy. Just over $10 for a pickguard is a bargain compared to the > $200 I have in pickups in it.

tunghaichuan
March 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Cool. :AOK: Your Floyd guitar will look excellent with a black pickguard. Of course we will expect to see pictures. :D

tung

As I mentioned, he does have some black ones so once he posts an auction, I'm getting one. Heck, I might as well get one of each so I can swap as the spirit so moves me. A black one would definitely give it a more aggressive, metal look, which is right up my alley.

I agree with you, Mark, about the looks vs. tone debate. With the pickup swap I took care of the tone part. Now it's just some eye candy. Just over $10 for a pickguard is a bargain compared to the > $200 I have in pickups in it.

kiteman
March 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
That guitar is gorgeous so I'd say go for it. I got my custom made HSH PG from Terrapin Guitars. They also have the option of different switch and knobs configs. Mine is mint green but you really can't see it.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3913/sa5030542rr2.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sa5030542rr2.jpg)

oldguy
March 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
That's a good looking guitar, kite. Is that a 5-way switch with a single volume and tone control setup? The board looks like ebony.

kiteman
March 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM
That's a good looking guitar, kite. Is that a 5-way switch with a single volume and tone control setup? The board looks like ebony.

Right on all counts. :)

Luv this guitar. :dude:

marnold
March 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I like the control location better on your pickguard than the standard Strat. I find the volume hugging the bridge pickup to be highly annoying.

kiteman
March 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I like the control location better on your pickguard than the standard Strat. I find the volume hugging the bridge pickup to be highly annoying.

That's how I had it set up. It's perfect for me. Terrapin Guitars has lots of configs to choose. :)

sumitomo
March 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Kiteman I remember when you first built that fine axe,and now you still go on how fine she is,tells me to look closer.Can you give the neck specs (nut width,12th fret width neck thickness at the nut and 12th and also back contour.)I'd like to check into them now that I know what my fret hand likes.Thanks Sumi:D

kiteman
March 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Kiteman I remember when you first built that fine axe,and now you still go on how fine she is,tells me to look closer.Can you give the neck specs (nut width,12th fret width neck thickness at the nut and 12th and also back contour.)I'd like to check into them now that I know what my fret hand likes.Thanks Sumi:D

This is from Carvin:

neck width 1.69" wide @ nut, 2.22" wide @ 22nd fret

I think the profile is C shaped, fairly thin. It's a profile I haven't felt on other guitars that I've played.

If you're thinking about the Bolt you won't be dissappointed. The price is right and made in USA whether it's a kit or a completed guitar. Mine was $600 for a kit with these upgrades, walnut body, stainless steel frets, 10" radius, Graphtech saddles and HSS pearloid pickguard. I later put on a custom made HSH pickguard with a super switch and different knob config. The pups are all Carvin. Total cost $700.

Itll be kinda hard to find a $700 guitar to match this one. :)

sumitomo
March 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks Kiteman.Sumi:D

marnold
March 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
WRT my original post, I sent a message to the merchant about getting an auction up for the black ones. He said that he was pretty busy but he'd try to get it up there. We'll see. I'd really prefer a black one but I'd hate it miss out on the tort ones while waiting for the others to be posted. Of course, if he really doesn't want my money . . .

kiteman
March 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I just noticed something on that pickguard that OP posted. One knob and a switch.

Is that what he want? :confused:

marnold
March 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I just noticed something on that pickguard that OP posted. One knob and a switch.

Is that what he want? :confused:
Yep. That's what my guitar came with. There are times when I'd like a tone control, but not enough for me to justify adding one. I can tweak the tone enough by twiddling with pickup choices and the volume control itself to keep me happy. The pickguards he's selling were specifically designed to be replacements for the Floyd Rose Discovery guitars with the non-star pickguards. No idea where he got them from.

markb
March 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM
You can buy blank sheets of pickguard material from WD or Stewmac. If you have the tools and the skills you can make anything you want. I think Terrapin guitars have already been mentioned. There's also www.pickguardian.com if you want something one-off.

marnold
March 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
You can buy blank sheets of pickguard material from WD or Stewmac. If you have the tools and the skills you can make anything you want. I think Terrapin guitars have already been mentioned. There's also www.pickguardian.com if you want something one-off.
Well, since I have neither the tools nor the skills . . .

I looked into getting one custom-made but it wasn't worth the cost IMO. The ones this guy is selling are made specifically for these guitars and costs $10 plus shipping.

Bobbo
March 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Not bad :confused:

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I still think you should get a tort PG for that red guitar. ;) :beer: Have a happy Friday!

marnold
March 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
OK. I've been emailing the guy via the eBay messaging dealy. He said he doesn't have time to dig get pictures taken of the black ones and get it posted. He did say that if I used the existing auction and specify the color, he'll send me the right one. To be fair, the auction does mention other colors available. Here's the question: do I trust him? His eBay rating seems good and I know that someone else on the Floyd forums got some from him, so they do exist. To his credit, he's been quick to respond to my messages. Thoughts?

bigoldron
March 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM
OK. I've been emailing the guy via the eBay messaging dealy. He said he doesn't have time to dig get pictures taken of the black ones and get it posted. He did say that if I used the existing auction and specify the color, he'll send me the right one. To be fair, the auction does mention other colors available. Here's the question: do I trust him? His eBay rating seems good and I know that someone else on the Floyd forums got some from him, so they do exist. To his credit, he's been quick to respond to my messages. Thoughts?

Go for it. You're out what, 10 bucks plus shipping? If his rating's good, then why not? Be sure to post some pics of the red tort!

marnold
March 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the black one. Details to follow.

marnold
March 31st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Well, Paypal finally sent my payment yesterday. I don't know why it took until the 30th when it cleared my bank on the 25th. Anyway, the pickguards were shipped out this morning so it will take as long as it takes the USPS to get something from NJ to WI. I say "pickguards" because I also got a black HH one that I might use for some future nefarious purpose :) (Note that my guitar has an HSH route.)

elsmacko
April 1st, 2009, 04:03 AM
Yeah I think it was I that showed you the link over on the Floyd forums?

By the way, you can always paint a pickguard any color you want! It is not hard; a lil sandpaper, prime, paint, clear coat if you want..allow to dry, install.

I painted my black one silver for my black DST-2; put a OBL L900XL in the bridge and a GFS fat pat in the neck.

marnold
April 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah I think it was I that showed you the link over on the Floyd forums?
Yep, that would be correct! Welcome over here to the Fret!

marnold
April 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
According to USPS, the pickguards finally arrived in town today. They should be coming in the mail. Hopefully they won't be pre-chewed.

marnold
April 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Woohoo! They came in the mail today. These are some pretty nice pickguards! They are three-ply black/white/black. The "stripe" that runs through the volume pot is cut into the top black layer. Here's a picture of a test fitting. I need to make the volume pot hole a bit bigger to allow for the push-pull pot. Then I can install it!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OT7l0dXu4To/SdubKsKr1AI/AAAAAAAAAgg/bjMO-1_sjTI/s400/img_2192.jpg

marnold
April 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM
And here it is, completely installed.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OT7l0dXu4To/SduwanqPasI/AAAAAAAAAgs/JfiO1epLq6g/s400/img_2197.jpg
I did not need to make the hole any bigger for the pot, thankfully. This one seems to be a bit thicker than the old one too. I noticed it because I had to put a washer as a spacer on the back side of the push-pull pot before so that even with it pulled up the bar would have clearance. With the new pickguard if I push the knob all the way on, it is right up against the screw that holds it down. For now, I just backed it off a bit. If I take the pickguard back off, I'd probably remove that washer entirely.

All the holes lined up, except the ones on either side of the bridge itself. For now, I just didn't put the screws back in. No biggie. The hole for the humbucker is a bit larger too, which is good, because with the old one it took a bit of maneuvering to get my Screamin' Demon trembucker in there. I'm really pleased with the change.

sunvalleylaw
April 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Looks Good! I still would like to see a tort one. ;-)

ted s
April 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Looks good Rev..

bigoldron
April 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Right on, Reverend Rawk!!! Looking good!!!

marnold
April 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks, guys. I managed to get the other two screws in. With the one, the hole was pretty close so the screw is just in at a slight angle. With the other one, I just used a nail to lightly tap through the finish and then screwed it down. I just can't get over how much better I think it looks.

kiteman
April 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Good job! :)