PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrrrgggggghhhh, me mateys... Tell me 'bout yer favorite Squier...

Katastrophe
July 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Don't know why the pirate voice came out. Musta been channelling Capt. Jack Sparrow... or climbing coconut trees wif Keef.;) :D

I have got to be the most indecisive person on the planet. Now my GAS has had a discussion with my wallet and we have rediscovered Squier GAS. So, now I have a few questions...

I will be looking for a new No. 1. It is gonna be a Strat, with 3 Single Coils and a maple fretboard.

Will a Squier handle the rigors of playing shows? I don't get all Pete Townshend on my guitars, but I'm far from easy on them. They'll get relic'ed the right way, through havin' fun and playin' hard.

How does the quality compare to an MIM? I've played a Squier Tele, and was very impressed. The nearest guitar store doesn't have that good a selection to try out, and the bigger stores are about an hour away. What about the Strats?

Any problems with the 2 point trem, as opposed to the 6 screw vintage, as far as tuning stability goes?

And finally, what's yer favorite Squier? Why? Have you played gigs with it, and if so, how did it perform? What's the tone like, comparable to an MIM?

Thank you in advance for helping my GAS!:D

Spudman
July 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM
My two favorite Squiers both have maple necks. My first one was purchased somewhere around 1995 new. It is made in Korea, midnight wine finish, 3 single coil ceramic pups that sound great when backed down low toward the pickguard. They sound a bit hotter than the alnicos in my second favorite.

My second favorite is my most recently acquired metallic red Indonesian Standard with gold lettering, 22 fret, maple neck, 3 alnico single coils. This is the guitar that I am now playing all the time. I love it. It just plain sounds and plays good. I got it used for around $130 shipped to me. It is the red metallic finish and it looks really sweet. Not an annoying or embarassing red but one that you can really enjoy. The body is agathis and resonates very well with the two point tremolo. The neck is narrow by the nut and gets wider as you move up the neck.

I used the Korean to make my living with and now use the Indonesian to play open mics with no backup guitar. There are some differences between the two:

1. The neck is fatter on the korean. Not much but noticably thicker. The radius is flatter than usual or so it seems. The Indo is curved slightly more. Korean 21 fret the Indo 22 fret.

2. The body woods may be different. I don't know what the Korean is. Indo is agathis or even possibly alder. However, the Squier website does not say which versions get the alder. It has been my experience that alder is used on the see through glossy finished guitars - agathis on the painted and the agathis sounds fine.

3. The bridge on the Korean is 6 screw and the Indo 2 point. The Indo reasonates better. I'm not sure if this is due to the body or the bridge or combination of the two. The Indo wins on sustain too.

4. Ceramic pups on the Korean (which sound great), alnico on the Indo (which sound great). The ceramics are hotter therefore giving the Korean bridge pup a MUCH better sound. The alnico is just a bit thinner sounding on the bridge pup. Nice quacks on all inbetween positions on both guitars.

Then...
The Squier Limited Editions with rosewood necks feel more like a regular MIM or USA rosewood neck guitar. The radius is rounder and the overall neck is fatter. The rest is another long story as they say.

tremoloman
July 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
It's been my observation that Squier guitars aren't held to the same set of standards when compared to anything in Fender's lineup. I've had 2 Squier B&C Strats apart side by side. Each one had slightly different pickguard screw patterns and the necks were night and day from one another. One neck was smooth where the other had sharp frets. One sounded a bit warmer than the other.

In other words, if you want a Squier I suggest trying them out in person since they aren't all built the same. I think Squiers are excellet guitars but I wouldn't purchase one without trying it in person first.

Katastrophe
July 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
It's been my observation that Squier guitars aren't held to the same set of standards when compared to anything in Fender's lineup. I've had 2 Squier B&C Strats apart side by side. Each one had slightly different pickguard screw patterns and the necks were night and day from one another. One neck was smooth where the other had sharp frets. One sounded a bit warmer than the other.

In other words, if you want a Squier I suggest trying them out in person since they aren't all built the same. I think Squiers are excellet guitars but I wouldn't purchase one without trying it in person first.

Were the variances in quality better or worse than your two SXs? I still plan on purchasing one of those as a backup, in a matching color to whatever Squier I get...

I've read about the variances in Squier PG screw patterns, and that doesn't seem very efficient to me... Were the contours of the necks different within the same model?

Great review, Spuds! Those LE models look cool, especially the Cherryburst, Silverburst, and MF has a Vintage White with a red MOTO PG that looks cool.

Thank you for your thoughts on agathis... I've never owned an agathis bodied guitar, but I would imagine that if it sounded crappy, Fender wouldn't allow Squier to build it, right?

This is great information to have!

Keep it coming, and all you other Squier owners, chime in, too!

kerc
July 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM
My favorite Squier is the 51. :D Try to get an Indonesian one, made by Cort. The serial number starts with "IC".

tremoloman
July 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
Were the variances in quality better or worse than your two SXs? I still plan on purchasing one of those as a backup, in a matching color to whatever Squier I get...

I've read about the variances in Squier PG screw patterns, and that doesn't seem very efficient to me... Were the contours of the necks different within the same model?To be honest, the two SX guitars were very similar. The only discrepancy I found was one had improper screws holding the bridge in place. The 1st one I got used screws that were threaded all the way to the top where the 2nd used the regular bridge screws that taper off the threads around the top 1/4" of the screw to prevent binding while using the tremolo which I pointed out in my review.

Bodies, necks, pickups, and pickguards appear to be the same. I'd buy another SX (and will) in a heartbeat. Even if it were a $200 I'd still buy it sight unseen.

My Squier B&C Telecaster's string holes aren't even close to being in line as they are supposed to. It doesn't affect its sound but does show a poor level of quality control. I'll post a pic and you can see for yourselves later tonight.

If given the choice between a Squier and a SX, I'd pick the SX...

Nelskie
July 22nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Kat - Its been my opinion that any entry-level priced guitar is going to have some quality issues, no matter the mfg., make, or model. We did a post on the Gibson forum awhile back about their recent QC woes. As well - Tremeloman's recent dealings with FMIC were the result of a QC issue. So, as you see, QC problems are present in guitars of all price ranges - even the high $$ American stuff. Since there's a pretty strong correlation between price and quality, having an expectation that you will maybe need to improve a few small things is perhaps the best outlook you can have. And if the guitar's a mess, send it back (provided that the source from which you purchase it has a return policy - another thing I'd highly recommend).

I have not played one of the newer Indonesian made Stratocasters, and therefore cannot expound on them. I have, however, recently owned a nice 2003 Squier Std. Telecaster. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the quality. The finish was absolutely perfect, the neck was straight, fret were dressed nicely, and it played beautifully. Best of all, trademark Tele tone right on the box. And guess what - the string holes on the back of the body were lined up perfectly! Guess I must've lucked out there or something. Anyways, I'd get another in a heartbeat - even sight unseen.

As you might have gathered from my recent post on the "Show us your Strats post," I have (2) '87 Squiers - one MIJ, and the other MIK. Both are fine guitars, with the blue MIJ being my favorite of the two - because of its all - maple neck. I couldn't tell you a lick about any of the details - wood type, p'up type, etc. - just that they're both great-sounding, great-playing guitars. I would never think of parting with either, not even for an American model. To me, they're every bit as good as any USA-made Fender product I've played, which makes owning them all the more enjoyable.

The necks on both are awesome - very close to those used in the MIJ re-issues - not too thin, not too fat - just right. I'd gig with either of my Squiers, and not think a second about it. I have no doubt that either of these instruments could handle anything I could dish out - and on a regular basis. As a matter of fact - they already have. Quality-wise, these 80's era guitars are easily on the equivalent with the newer MIM's, and quite honestly, I'd say that they exceed it.

The tone out of my '80's Strats is very different from my MIM Classic 60's (in stock form), as well as other Mexican Strats I've played. The p'ups in both are your basic (3) single-coils - but I've noticed that the tones I get are much fatter, and more defined than on the newer stuff. Whether its due to the magnets, wiring, electronics - I'm not sure. But there is a difference, and I can hear it. Lastly, I'm not a tremolo user, so can't help you there (I leave the trem bar off when I play my Strats).

My take on it - I wouldn't worry too much about buying a guitar via mail-order retailer, like Musician's Friend, ZZ Sounds, Music 123, or what-not. They all have return policies, so if you don't like it - zam! - back it goes. Again, if you're not too fussy about things you can easily correct, then the QC issue is pretty much mute. Plays good, and sounds good - that's what you're looking for. Looks are a plus, too (the new SE Squiers indeed have that base covered!)

Now, if you're looking to break from the herd, I might even suggest that you consider a vintage Squier model - esp. an 80's era instrument. Even Fender afficianados give these instruments the nod for tone & quality. Ebay would probably the best place to start. Yes, they are not as plentiful as the newer Indonesian made models. And yes, it may take some time to track one down. But I can virtually guarantee you that if you do (most are priced in the $300 - $400 range, and well worth the money at that price), you will be a very happy camper. Good luck! ;)

Robert
July 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
I have 3 Squiers. The one from 1996 is made in Mexico. It's complete garbage, don't get one of those!

Then we have the '51. It's a great guitar for the price. The neck and maple fretboard - just fantastic. The drawbacks are the bridge and the nut. Pickups are excellent.

The Standard Tele also has a great neck, and it's got rosewood fretboard. It's pickups are not as good as on the '51, but it's got a better bridge. It has the same cheap nut.

I can't decide which guitar I like better, the '51 or the Tele. They complement each other very well. The Tele does feel more "solid" because the bridge is better. The '51 feels a little like playing on rubber strings in comparison, but it's still great fun to play. I have of course lots of clips of both on my website, as I'm sure you all know by now. :)

Guitar-Chris
July 22nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
I have of course lots of clips of both on my website, as I'm sure you all know by now. :)

Yes, we know :R and that is a very important point. Using all this guitars, your music is alwas great. The guitars sound different, but you can always hear the "Robert" in it.

So what I am trying to say: I think we're looking to often at the gear. At least you have practiced enough to become a great player. And so it is with the guitars. Today you can get a good guitar for 150 Euro. 20 years ago, it was much mor difficult. There you had to take minimum of 500 Euros.

So, it's time to close the explorer window with all that gear online and play some music.

marnold
July 22nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
You might also want to keep an eye out on the Fender Showmaster series. Basically they roll out different models each year. When the new model is getting close to being rolled out, Musician's Friend will blow them out for a song. My Showmaster had an MSRP of US$899 but I got it for $249. Mine is kind of unusal for a Strat in that it has a fixed bridge, set neck, 24 frets, and a single humbucker. It was made in Korea. The body is basswood and the fretboard is rosewood.

When I got it I had to have it set up, but once that was taken care of it's been awesome. It stays in tune better than any guitar I've owned and can sustain for days. I've seen SSS models in the Showmaster line--you'd just need to keep your eyes open.

duhvoodooman
July 22nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
I think the key thing to keep in mind with buying cheap guitars--Squiers or other brands--is that you're liable to run into very high degrees of variability between instruments. Cost is king for these instruments, and materials, components, labor and even the factories they're made in can and do change at a moment's notice. So it's very possible that a Squier 51 you buy at one point may share nothing in common--other than the basic shape and feature set--with one obtained at another time or place.

For example, based upon the great things I read about the 51's here, I attempted to buy one at my local GC a few months back, when they were running a $99 special. They had two on the floor (both were the sunburst model with the white pickguards) and both were complete trash. They sounded thin and weak, they felt cheap and flimsy in your hands, and the condition of the necks was terrible. You could literally cut up your fingertips sliding them along the edges of the frets, the finishing was so poor.

When I first reported this experience back here at the Fret, I tiptoed around my true opinion of these two 51's for fear of hurting other 51 owners' feelings, but later came to realize that these were simply two very bad examples of the extremes in product variability that unfortunately can and do happen in a lowest-manufacturing-cost philosophy scenario.

The bottom line is that you really must "try before you buy" on these types of guitars--or deal with a seller with an impeccable return policy. Buying "sold as is" examples off eBay is really taking a gamble, unless you're very confident in the seller! As Dirty Harry Callahan asked, "Do you feel lucky?" :eek:

Justaguyin_nc
July 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
I was very fortunate with my squier 51 and it tops my list as best squier I own.. Sunburst lets a nice grain show thru.. Pickups seem fine to me both neck and bridge.. Neck just feels right.. I have thought of updating the bridge and nut but find myself just wanting this first one just the way it is...I have changed to 10's with the strings but thats about it.. tried a pickguard on ebay for this guitar and the screw holes did not match up.. returned it and kept the white one on it.. I never knew that there are other makers of the Squier 51 and both my 51 and Tele black & chrome are both IC serial numbers.. The B&C was/is fine except for pickups which are now Fender Vintage Noiseless.. and the pickguard been changed to black..again the holes didn't line up but I didn't care.. I don't see why I would need anything else... Other then another 51 to actually modify... which probably will come someday.. in another color.. and now with IC at the beginning of the serials.. thanks for that headsup on that.. anyone have something other then a serial starting with IC on a 51 which they do not like?

warren0728
July 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
i bought my son a squier bullet strat and it is not a bad guitar. The rosewood neck is good and it plays pretty good. The only trouble we had with it was the input jack kept coming loose....added a second nut (to the inside of the jack assembly) and have'nt had any problems with it since.

ww

Katastrophe
July 22nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
The one from 1996 is made in Mexico. It's complete garbage, don't get one of those!

Good to know! I'll pass on the '96 MIM Squiers!

Guys -

Thanks for the info! The thread is exactly what I needed to read, concerning likes, gripes, and the good, bad and ugly concerning the Squier line. I tend to over research just a tiny bit when it comes to buying anything for myself. I have begun the process of selling some stuff to raise money for the purchase. Once the money is raised, I'll head down to biggest music store I can find and try out a bunch of different guitars, using your comments as a guide to start the search. I guess you could say that I'm not much in the way of an impulse shopper.;)

Then, it's gonna be all about the price shopping. My other guitar player is a genius when it comes to finding good deals. He's been advised that he has no choice but to help me get a good deal on whatever guitar I finally choose.

Speaking of deals, marnold, you got a screaming deal on your Showmaster! Guitartrader has 'em in different finishes, and they sure do look like very well put together guitars.