PDA

View Full Version : Gone.....

evenkeel
March 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Just about a year ago Mrs. Keel and I put our sailboat, a 1969 Hinckley 38, in dry dock and put a "For Sale" sign on her. We have owned Kotchka for over 12 years. We sailed her summers in Maine before we moved aboard and set off cruising. We cruised her from Maine to Nova Scotia and down to the Islands of the Bahamas. She took us across the Gulf Stream 14 times. She was our only home for 6 years. Saved our butts many times due to our boneheadedness. During our ownership we put over 25,000 nautical miles under the keel.

Today we signed a contract to sell her. There is a cliche that the two happiest days of a sailors life are, the day he buys a boat and the day he sells her. Not true. Yeah we are relieved, but it feels more than a little melancholy. Fortunately we're not selling because we have to, but because we want to. It's time. Our cruising days are over and it's time to let someone else take care of her.

A couple of pics for those who care...

This was taken at a sailboat race, Georgetown, Bahamas. 2003. We won!!!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/regatta.jpg

At anchor at Lee Stocking Island, Exumas, Bahamas.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/KotchkafromLH.jpg

And it's not all fun and games. :thwap:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/Engine002.jpg

mrmudcat
March 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Wow big steps brother!!!I would love to have some of yours and the mrs. memories.

Rocket
March 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I had no idea it was up for sale... I don't think you ever mentioned it here or at WAG.
Is that a windvane on the stern?

Robert
March 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Ahhh, I think I see a dozen guitars and amps coming out of this...? :D :D

luvmyshiner
March 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Keel. You entertained many of us Washies with your pictures and stories.

Childbride
March 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Keel... i'm torn.

i always loved the pictures and the stories.

i'm happy if you and Ms. Keel are happy. :)

evenkeel
March 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Is that a windvane on the stern?

I'm Impressed!!! :master:

Yes it is. A Sail-O-Mat. Ok unit, but the Monitor is a bit better. Removed it, along with the solar panels (panels smashed in a storm).

Bloozcat
March 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
A day of mixed emotions for you I'm sure, evenkeel.

Very nice boat...

I've haven't sailed as extensively as you, but have done quite a bit in years past. For much of my life growing up I lived near the sea, and have sailed since I was 8. Learned like most on Sailfish, Sunfish, and day sailers, and our family Aquacat catamaran.

Living here in Florida is a sailors dream, as you're aware, I'm sure. A buddy of mine had a 34' yawl for several years that we spent many an hour, day, and weekend sailing. It was a lot of fun...and as much work as well.

It's kind of like giving up a mistress, losing a boat you've had for so long...

Jimi75
March 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Off to new adventures evenkeel!

:beer: