PDA

View Full Version : Remagnetizing an EBO pole block

stiggowitz
March 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey e'budy
This pickup actually works on all four poles
but isn't nearly as loud or powerful as I remember.
The interesting thing is: I can't feel magnetic pull on anything ferrous ie my screwdrivers. The poles make noise by tapping but there's no pull.
Could the pole block have lost it's magnetism?
If so how can I have it re-magnitized?
Thanks.
stigg.

Tinman
March 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Yes it sounds like the magnet(s) have lost thier energy. You can easily recharge them with some rare earth magnets. It takes a good size one to do it though.

I am having a difficult time seeing where the magnet is in that picture. Is it a bar magnet? If so it would be best to unmount it to recharge it. The poles would go across the wide axis. One side is most likely painted white. That would be the south pole.

If you are leaning your guitar against amps or speaker cabs, this will slowly de-energize your magnets. Also riding on subways with you guitar. There are DC motors under the cars that are very powerful and emit a strong magnetic field.

stiggowitz
March 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks Tinman.
The pole block is laying next to the actual pickup
on its side to the right .
It fits in between the 2 coils when assembled.
s.

Tinman
March 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
See if you can un-mount the magnets and recharge them. Before doing that figure out what direction the poles are. If you have a compass aim it at the pickup poles (reassembled) and see what direction it is.

I am not familiar with the construction of that pickup but I am guessing that there are two magnets under each coil just like a P90 guitar pickup.

Do you know if they are ceramic or Alnico magnets? If they are ceramic it will much more difficult to recharge them without the proper equipment. Most likely they are Alnico.

stiggowitz
March 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Tinman.
The pole block (the block that has the adjusting screws) has to be the magnet as it is steel and there is no other place for a magnet.
This is the only pickup I've ever seen like it and it's been around since
the 50's.
I'll find a way to fix this and I'll let you know what I did. Thanks again
for your replies.

stiggowitz
March 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Tinman!
I found the problem so for furure reference here's the site:
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527218

Thanks again for your replies.
s.