PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Gibson ES-339

jpfeifer
March 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I finally had a chance to try out one of these new ES-339's from Gibson.
I am a fan of 335's so I thought this might be an interesting option for people who like the 335 tone but are looking for a smaller instrument.

The ES-339 has great tone, very close to a 335. I couldn't resist playing some Steely Dan tunes on it :-) I played various tunes on it over about 30 minutes and could hardly put it down. My only nits where that the nut slots weren't cut quite wide enough and the tuning machines appear to be kind of cheap (vintage style tuners supposedly). But wow, the sustain and tone of this guitar is right on par with a great 335. It also has this new Nashville tone circuit that's supposed to preserve the high frequencies even at lower volumes. It seems to give the guitar a nice snap.

All in all it seems to be a great guitar. But like all of the more recent Gibsons you should really check the guitar over for defects before buying anything.

Maybe one day ....

-- Jim

Rocket
March 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Reviews seem to run 50/50 for quality with customer satisfaction.

I'd like one to test drive but don't have a GC nearby. At my age I certainly value the smaller/lighter format with 335 sound plus an outer rim output jack. At $1799 + a concrete return policy I suppose it's worth a roll-O-the-dice.
I don't know about the Nashville tone circuit but I'd like to hear one modded with Burstbucker Pro's like what's found in a Custom ES-335... thru a decent Fender giant killer.

It would also be nice if it wasn't a special run manufactured exclusively for Guitar Center's, Inc. and their affiliates though.

I had a chance to get one just prior to GC taking possession at a slight discount from a private dealer acquaintance that snagged one under the rug from Gibson just to check it out... he was not allowed to retail it.
One of those regrettable passes on my part.

just strum
March 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I had a chance to get one just prior to GC taking possession at a slight discount from a private dealer acquaintance that snagged one under the rug from Gibson just to check it out... he was not allowed to retail it.
One of those regrettable passes on my part.

Was the GC group the only ones allowed to retail it from day one?

markb
March 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Nashville tone circuit = treble bleed cap? Possibly cap + resistor in parallel but a fancy name for an old trick nonetheless. I like the 339, 335s just feel bigger than they need to be.

just strum
March 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I haven't tried a 339, but if it is the size of my Wildkat, I would say from a fit/comfort standpoint, I would like it.

Rocket
March 13th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Was the GC group the only ones allowed to retail it from day one?
As far as I know... Yes.
From what I was told by Gibson's sales manager, (when I was trying to find a different source,) the 339 is a Custom Shop build manufactured to GC/MF specs: reduced 335 chambered body, 24.75" scale length, set-neck, output jack on lower rim, NTC, offered in 3-color choices & 2-neck profiles.

Someday I may have to bite the bullet and buy one from those evil ¡bastardos!... arrrggghhh.

oldguy
March 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I would like to test drive one, though I doubt that'll happen. I've always liked 335's/355's, they just seem a bit big to be comfortable when I strap 'em on.
My brother has a 355 and loves it.

hubberjub
March 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I really like the looks of them. The 335 is just a little too big for comfort.

ZMAN
March 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM
They have one at my local store. It is amazing how you can't really tell it is smaller unless you put them side by side. They are pretty sweet axes for the money. I have a 335 and a Sheraton and you hardly notice the size playing standing up, but sitting is a different animal. I still like the playing position on a double cut Gibby.

just strum
May 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Just curious if anyone else has had the opportunity to try one?

M123 has blems for $1565. I don't mind a blem, but I would want to see it before buying it. I like the light caramel burst.

Regular price is at $1800 - not sure if $265 off for a blem is enough.

street music
May 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I knew you couldn't resist the urge. IT's only money, go for it! Gibson needs all they can get.

just strum
May 17th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Well, I am not gassing alone. The only thing that appears to be available is scratch and dent (blems). MK is saying that there will be more available 5/17, hey that's today, just in time for my birthday if anyone has money burnign a whole in their pocket (these days that's a rarity).

I've read up on this 339 and watched about every video out there - it certainly has sparked my interest.

(Maybe a Strat for sale, and a...)

street music
May 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Strummy,
That is starting to sound serious, selling another guitar to bring home a new addition???? Seems like I have heard that before, just can't quite remember where???:thwap: :thwap:

mrmudcat
May 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Well that echo must travel up the appalachian trail cause I hear it all the way up here on my mountain:rotflmao:

just strum
May 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I was also considering an Epiphone Alleykat (discontinued), but maybe latch on to a used one. People seem to be modding these (pots, switch and pick ups), but I've read good reviews of them stock. Similar guitar in size, except the stock one comes with a mini neck hb and 57 bridge hb (the 339 has two 57's).

I like the size of these guitars (the Alleykat is the same body as my Wildkat).

Serious GAS going here.

just strum
May 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Strummy,
That is starting to sound serious, selling another guitar to bring home a new addition???? Seems like I have heard that before, just can't quite remember where???:thwap: :thwap:

:rotflmao: I just told my daughter to tell her friends that the Wildkat is on the market. I'll start there and see how it goes.

My Dot and my Strat have been on the "Do Not Sell" list and I should hold to that arrangement.

jpfeifer
July 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
I've finally been able to test drive one of these for a good while at Guitar Center. I'm very impressed with the tone and feel of the guitar. It sounds awesome. My only gripe is that the nut slots weren't properly setup on the ones that I tried, but that is an easy fix for most any guitar shop.

It's a great sounding guitar. The tone is very good. Sounds like a full-sized 335. It seems like a very versatile axe. It sounded good with a variety of styles. I'm still gassing for one. I can' really justify the cost. But, would be a great addition to my small collection.

-- Jim

just strum
July 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
I've finally been able to test drive one of these for a good while at Guitar Center. I'm very impressed with the tone and feel of the guitar. It sounds awesome. My only gripe is that the nut slots weren't properly setup on the ones that I tried, but that is an easy fix for most any guitar shop.

It's a great sounding guitar. The tone is very good. Sounds like a full-sized 335. It seems like a very versatile axe. It sounded good with a variety of styles. I'm still gassing for one. I can' really justify the cost. But, would be a great addition to my small collection.

-- Jim

I was expecting to read at the end of your post that you couldn't decide on color, so you bought three.

jpfeifer
July 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I was expecting to read at the end of your post that you couldn't decide on color, so you bought three.

Don't tempt me! :-)

I've decided over the years that I'm really more of a Gibson guy, in terms of the tones that I like to use. It's the reason that I've liked using the Newport all this time. It's got more of a Gibson feel and overall tone, just not the big sustain that you would have with a 335 or Les Paul.

I'm thinking that my perfect guitar (if money were no object) would be the Johnny A model. This one is everything I would want in a guitar, but it's a $4000 axe. Maybe I'll save up and get one of these someday. This is my dream guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFvtqVR4zME

-- Jim