PDA

View Full Version : Dan Erlewine's Guitar Repair Guide

thekiwidisciple
March 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I just ordered this. I've only heard good things about it and I'm looking for a book so that I can learn about setups/tech stuff. I know a bit already but apparently the Erlewine book is great for learning even more. I think it's better I learn to do setups etc myself so that not only do I save myself money, I have it set up exactly the way I want it.

Though I think I need to invest in some nut files...a set of feeler gauges and...plenty of other stuff!:beer:

wingsdad
March 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Good book. I got it with the DVD last Christmas.

Rx Tone
March 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Smart purchase.
Very informative and easy to follow instructions.
...but, yeah...you're gonna need a few tools.

markb
March 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
It's a good book. You can make feeler gauges from old strings. After all, you know their exact diameter. I use an .012 second string cutoff for relief measurements. Other tools needed are allen keys in the right sizes, a couple of decent screwdrivers and some sockets for Gibson style truss rods. That's about it really for basic setup until you get into nut and fret work.

kiteman
March 15th, 2009, 06:02 PM
It's a good book. You can make feeler gauges from old strings. After all, you know their exact diameter. I use an .012 second string cutoff for relief measurements. Other tools needed are allen keys in the right sizes, a couple of decent screwdrivers and some sockets for Gibson style truss rods. That's about it really for basic setup until you get into nut and fret work.

You're not kidding. It's a valuable book and it's one of the 3 books I've ordered from StewMac.

The other two I've ordered are "How to make your electric guitar play great!" and "Guitar electronics for musicians."

Plenty of good reads there. :)

oldguy
March 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I should get a copy. I do most of my own setup work, but I bet there's a ton of info in there I'd benefit from.:)

kiteman
March 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I should get a copy. I do most of my own setup work, but I bet there's a ton of info in there I'd benefit from.:)

There is mate. This guy's sharp and I learned a bit myself. :)

EDIT: I only got to page 48-49 so far, it's very absorbing materials.