PDA

View Full Version : Another BYOC Order Discount Deal!

duhvoodooman
March 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I have another kit to order for a customer, and if I can get a second pedal order, I'll knock $5 off both of them, cuz that'll put me over the min. order amount to qualify for free shipping, which I'll pass along. So if you've been thinking about an Overdrive 2, Rabid Rodent, ESV Fuzz, Large Beaver or any of their other pedals (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fxkitindex.html), here's a chance to save a couple of bucks. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a quote for your pedal of interest. Most go between $115 and $140, including painting & decaling. Shipping extra (generally $8.20 to the ConUS).

I'll be placing the order Monday at noontime EDT, so think quick! :rockon:

sumitomo
March 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
What's a Large beaver ?,never mind I'll look it up.Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
March 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
What's a Large beaver ?
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi clone. The kit can be built to either of two vintage versions--Triangle or Ram's Head.

thekiwidisciple
March 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
double post

thekiwidisciple
March 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
What's a Large beaver ?,never mind I'll look it up.Sumi:D
You didn't seriously go and google "Large Beaver", did you? Hope you're not at work... :rotflmao:

sumitomo
March 16th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Are you kiddin',not me I asked my wife!! Sumi:D

Viking Power
March 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
So you turn-on the Large Beaver with your foot?

Interesting....:D

duhvoodooman
March 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM
OK, guys--enough with the sophomoric double-entendres, OK? :rolleyes:

sumitomo
March 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
No problem Vood,the old lady told me that I better not buy any large beavers to which I replyed and I wont buy any big muffs either cause it uses all my poly grip,then I ran out of the room! Sumi:D

Ch0jin
March 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
OK, guys--enough with the sophomoric double-entendres, OK? :rolleyes:

Hahaha. I feel for you.

I foolishly told people at work that I was building a Big Muff Pi replica, forgetting for a minute that nobody would have any idea what that was and now, 6 months later, I'm still known as "That guy who built his own muff"....

Anyway, I saw you mentioned that your picking up kits for customers DVM, but whilst we are on the topic, whats your favorite flavour of "that pedal"?

I had a triangle and a "GGG Tuned version" (both kits) and kept the tuned version because it was a little less practical tone wise, but man can you get some noise outa that thing! It's also a bit more bass guitar friendly as it's tuned for a wider frequency range.

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Well, pretty much Electro Harmonix started it with the double entendres. I had to restrain myself also earlier. I was going to post a link to Primus's "Wynona" song. LOL!

Ch0jin
March 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Well, pretty much Electro Harmonix started it with the double entendres. I had to restrain myself also earlier. I was going to post a link to Primus's "Wynona" song. LOL!

An excellent track that has nothing whatsoever to do with Winona Ryder, something I'd have thought obvious considering the different spelling, however Soul Asylum vocalist David Pirner took offense and renamed one of his songs "Les Claypool's A Big F*cking A**hole" in concert. Easy going Dave was Winona's man at the time.

This bit of music trivia brought to you by the letter B and the number 8

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I always figured it was referring to Wynonna Judd. But really, someone should get in on this offer. I love my Rodent pedal, and it seems everyone else loves their DVM pedals too. I can't get one now, but I would love to get one of those Overdrive 2 ones some day.

Ch0jin
March 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I'd jump in for one of those new delays and a (yet another) fuzz, but alas as I have no job, I'm being frugal for once.

duhvoodooman
March 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Got a second order--for a Triboost--from none other than the illustrious Nelskie. He has hatched an evil plan to have me finish it with some hot pink metallic paint he's gonna have drop-shipped to me. Together, we will rule the world! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! :D

To answer Chojin re: favorite version of the BMP, I built a modified Triangle version that I like very much, but I haven't tried the Ram's Head or any of the Russian versions to be able to compare.

marnold
March 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
An excellent track that has nothing whatsoever to do with Winona Ryder, something I'd have thought obvious considering the different spelling, however Soul Asylum vocalist David Pirner took offense and renamed one of his songs "Les Claypool's A Big F*cking A**hole" in concert. Easy going Dave was Winona's man at the time.

This bit of music trivia brought to you by the letter B and the number 8
You mean to say that Pimer is, perhaps, a little overly sensitive? Huh. I never would have caught on to that from his music.

I return you to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

My "gripe" with the BMP is that it's got all the subtlety of a punch in the face. It can't do the "just add a little wool to my tone" thing. And yes, this comes from a man who is a fan of groups not known for their subtlety.

duhvoodooman
March 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM
My "gripe" with the BMP is that it's got all the subtlety of a punch in the face. It can't do the "just add a little wool to my tone" thing.
But then again, sometimes a punch in the face is exactly what you're looking for. But the point is well taken--if you want a fuzz that can be cleaned up by rolling back on your guitar's volume knob....this one ain't it. OTOH, if you're seeking that smooth, sustain-for-days, somewhere-between-distortion-and-fuzz tone, the BMP circuit does that very well. Kind of a one-trick pony, but a good trick. Just ask David Gilmour and Billy Corgan, to name a couple of noted BMP proponents.

If you want more flexibility than a stock Muff offers, the v.2.0 BYOC L.B. kit gives you a 4-way EQ voicing rotary switch that lets you bring up the mids in a couple of steps. So you're no longer stuck with just that heavily mid-scooped stock Muff tone. There's also an EQ-bypass position on the switch that gives you pure, unadulterated BMP circuit tone--no filtering out of any of the frequencies. Plus, I can add switchable clipping options that give even more tonal variety, for a very modest additional fee.

So who wants a genuine DVM Mega-Muff (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/megamuff.htm)?? :D :rockon: :dude:

marnold
March 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM
But then again, sometimes a punch in the face is exactly what you're looking for. But the point is well taken--if you want a fuzz that can be cleaned up by rolling back on your guitar's volume knob....this one ain't it. OTOH, if you're seeking that smooth, sustain-for-days, somewhere-between-distortion-and-fuzz tone, the BMP circuit does that very well. Kind of a one-trick pony, but a good trick. Just ask David Gilmour and Billy Corgan, to name a couple of noted BMP proponents.
Agreed. I was going to post that it is a one-trick-pony, but it's one heck of a trick. I've compared my EX-7 side-by-side to a current U.S.-made BMP. It's not exactly the same, but it's close enough for government work. If you dime the fuzz on my Danelectro and cut back on the tone you can get close-ish too with a lot more flexibility.

Ch0jin
March 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM
If you want more flexibility than a stock Muff offers, the v.2.0 BYOC L.B. kit gives you a 4-way EQ voicing rotary switch that lets you bring up the mids in a couple of steps. So you're no longer stuck with just that heavily mid-scooped stock Muff tone. There's also an EQ-bypass position on the switch that gives you pure, unadulterated BMP circuit tone--no filtering out of any of the frequencies. Plus, I can add switchable clipping options that give even more tonal variety, for a very modest additional fee.

So who wants a genuine DVM Mega-Muff (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/megamuff.htm)?? :D :rockon: :dude:

As someone who has built and rebuilt "That Pedal" a few times chasing different sounds, I'd LOVE to have had the option to build the version DVM is talking about with the rotary switch to change voicing. If you've been thinking about getting a BMP, I'd strongly recommend getting the one DVM is talking about. Changing the versions of "regular" BMP's is an arduous task as there are a whole bunch of parts to be swapped in/out to go from say rams head to triangle etc.

@Marnold. If you think the BMP is a one trick pony, you've never tried a "Brown Sound In A Box"! A colleague of mine I loaned it to for evaluation told me it sounds like it should have beer and cigarette smoke pouring from it when you kick it in :)