PDA

View Full Version : New Guitar Stores in a Tough Economy

just strum
March 14th, 2009, 01:58 PM
In the past two to three months at least two new guitar shops have opened up near me. These are mom and pop shops, not the box stores. They tend to be small, little selection, and a lot of used equipment. It surprises me that they are starting up a store when 1) the economy is in the condition it is in and 2) we have GC and the other big store near here. Add to that the fact that Best Buy has entered the market.

Yesterday my wife handed me two coupons for a store near here that I wasn't familiar with. I walked in and the first thing I see are two used sets of drums, a couple of new and a few used acoustics. Then there was the section with used amps, primarily Marshall, Crate, Peavey, and one used Valve Jr half stack marked at $195.

As for electric, Jay Turser, two Fender Strats, a few Squier (Tele and Strats). The Fenders were used, one marked at $1225 and the other at $565. I didn't have my glasses, but I saw no marking stating origin. I played the $1225 one, but wasn't impressed. A lot of pointy guitars and a couple with KISS characters on them :puke: Oh, there was one Gibson Flying V (more :puke: )

I didn't have my glasses, so it was difficult to really inspect anything.

The other store I visited a couple of months ago was made up of the same sort of equipment.

I talked to the guy that owns this latest store and he told me he was an accountant up until a couple of months ago. He worked for a reality company and he claims he quit his job, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like a downsizing measure. He's been playing since he was 9 (I would say he is in his late 40's now) and was in a number of bands.

I can't see how either of these places will survive. To top it off, neither is in a high traffic area.

Just an observation on my part, nothing more.

Oh, I didn't buy anything.

markb
March 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM
These guys can make it if they offer good trade ins and keep used equipment in circulation. I don't look in shops like you describe for new gear, it's that disregarded used amp in the corner or the used pedals in the counter cabinet that keep them going. I'll usually buy some strings or something as a way of saying "hello".

evenkeel
March 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
There are a couple of local shops much like you describe. My impression is gear sales are not what pays the bills. Repairs and lessons are.

wingsdad
March 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
My Favorite Local GAS Station is one of 3 mom n' pops in our 'town', an hour away from the nearest GC & Sam Ash, and the 2 Best Buys here in Booneyville don't have the music store dept.

They have 3 lesson rooms for 5 different teachers, and they're always going, always waiting lists. They do repairs. And they do a good business in school band instrument rentals. All good profit.

They're carry good new stuff (G&L, Ibanez, Gretsch, Schecter, Washburn, Ovation, Godin/Seagull, Takamine...Peavey, Randall and Behringer Amps, and occasional special deals on closeouts. Their 'budget line' for guitars is Stagg(think Agile/Xaviere).

But a key to their growth and stability, even now, is that they're the only ones who do trades, consigns and buys. And it's a major profit source. Many times in the 15 years I've dealt there, I've seen them sell a new piece, matching GC/MF's price. How do they do it? The buyer gets tired of it, trades it in. Depending on the market for the piece, they give him 75%-100% of what they'd get on resale. They resell it and clear a profit. The 2nd buyer in turn returns in a while and trades it in. They resell it again. And so on. I've seen some guitars get recycled this way 3 or 4 times. Not just guitars, but amps, drums, brass, keyboards, fx pedals...

oldguy
March 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
We have two local shops in St. Joseph, MO. Neither take consignments, both take trades. They each sell new and used gear. They are both struggling. One does repairs/setups. The other will only setup/repair what you buy from their store. They both try and price match, but can only do so much and remain in business. One will do outright purchases of used equipment, and recoup what they can via fleabay. MF is an hour south in Kansas City, so are a dozen other stores, so it's hard for these small mom and pop shops to make it work. To be honest, I feel they both are doing the local musicians a favor by remaining open, there's little money to be made. I try and frequent them both, but as the money dries up, I really hope they can weather the economic times and survive.

luvmyshiner
March 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
OT and sorry, I didn't realize you were in St. Joe OG. My kids grew up in Potter, KS and my Baby Girl lives in Lawrence. She'll be graduating from KU in May.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program.

street music
March 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The store that I was in today is 1 hour and 15 minutes away in West Virginia, and I have become friends with both the owners. I dropped by today after dropping the wife off at another dress shop. While there only 1 1/2 hours they sold 4 guitars and a fiddle, a high dollar Taylor A-E, a PRS, a Takamine and a Squier beginner pack. There were more people in there today than I would have thought for a nasty rainy sat evening and I'm sure they sold more after I left. To me if a shop gives great customer service, and has lessons plus a good amount of desired items it goes a long way to bringing in business.
I visited my first Guitar CENTER last weekend , I wasn't very impressed with the staff that I met, the store was nasty, junked up and I didn't have anyone that really wanted to assist me. I like personal touch of the local store and they agree to match the GC price on the same item.

oldguy
March 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
OT and sorry, I didn't realize you were in St. Joe OG. My kids grew up in Potter, KS and my Baby Girl lives in Lawrence. She'll be graduating from KU in May.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program.

OT, again, but I'll try and keep it short........
Small world, huh, Shiner? :D
My Baby Girl is in Maryville, MO, and thinking of transferring to K.C. next semester. I'm camped out near Bonner Springs, KS while working in K.C.
Seems like family's never far away. :AOK:

just strum
March 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Okay, both of you - enough of the derailing:D

Just kiddin.

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM
While I was checking out pricing on an amp (Marshall Lead) after reading another thread, I came across the store on ebay.

The black Fender w/white pick guard is the one I tried out. I didn't try the MIJ but saw it hanging there. From a looks standpoint, I like the MIJ.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Kenston-Music-Co__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Blaze
March 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
While I was checking out pricing on an amp (Marshall Lead) after reading another thread, I came across the store on ebay.

The black Fender w/white pick guard is the one I tried out. I didn't try the MIJ but saw it hanging there. From a looks standpoint, I like the MIJ.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Kenston-Music-Co__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Sure looks good but i thought you had been on a Es 335 quest...

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-FOR-SALE-GIBSON-ES-335-W0QQAdIdZ110094080

Might get it for $1750.00 , it s CAD...

7geNM_4pZhA&NR

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Sure looks good but i thought you had been on a Es 335 quest...

Yes I am, but that quest will cost some $$$. I've actually debated on selling all or almost all of my stuff for the ES335, but the sacrifice is too big. The dream will have to wait.

Blaze
March 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Yes I am, but that quest will cost some $$$. I've actually debated on selling all or almost all of my stuff for the ES335, but the sacrifice is too big. The dream will have to wait.

I dont think you would have to sell all of your gears if i was you i would go to fullfill that dream and be the most happy man on U.S. land ..

My opinion , that s all ..

ZMAN
March 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM
We have several of the smaller stores that seem to stay in business. How I don't know. When I go in there there are never any name brand guitars or amps, and most of the kids hanging around are about 12 years old. They do give lessons and sell a lot of off brand pointy guitars.
A store that had been around for 30 years just re-opened after a huge fire. The guy was devastated but he vowed to rebuild and he did. He also has no Gibson or Fender stuff but does a lot of business in the other brands.
Where I see the largest difference is in the Craigslist/Kijiji buy and sell adds.
There are so many now, it takes two days for an add to appear. There are a lot of really good deals as well. I watched a Gibson go from 1750 down to 1200 in a couple of weeks. I personally have purchased a Marshall, an Avatar cab, and a Gibson LP Standard, all for 1/2 of their value in mint condition.

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I watched a Gibson go from 1750 down to 1200 in a couple of weeks. I personally have purchased a Marshall, an Avatar cab, and a Gibson LP Standard, all for 1/2 of their value in mint condition.

Maybe a sign of the times. The economy has a way of doing that. I think there is a lot of equipment out there due to the fact that the guitar and gear industry had a number of good years. A lot of that brought on by younger people and those that thought they wanted to play, but then found the challenge more difficult than they anticipated. This surge in used equipment was predicted a few years ago and I don't think we've seen it peak yet. The economy has brought down the prices on a lot of used gear. Plus, there is a lot of junk out there and a lot of stuff that would only be appealing to another 14 or 15 year old.

I will wait for the ES335 some parent bought for the kid that quickly lost interest. The day will arrive, I just have to be patient.

ZMAN
March 15th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Hey JS: I just looked on the local (Toronto) Kijiji. There were 2 ES335s, and a 339 for sale. 2 vintage sunbursts at 2200, and 2000, and the 339 in Cherry Red at 1750.
If you knock 20% off for haggling and another 29% for the US exchange you have as follows 1122, 1020, 892 US. No taxes and your dream comes true.
The 20% is not uncommon. I have seen them go from 10 to 20% under the asking price. Especially for the larger ticket items. Just another thought to push you over the edge. LOL

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Just another thought to push you over the edge. LOL

Understatement - "shove" would be more appropriate, but I know you are only trying to help. BTW, my wife would like to say something to you.

That 339 is attractive and would almost be worth the drive.

ZMAN
March 15th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Hey man only trying to help. But it is a real eye opener when you take a look at it. Living up here we try to use this to our advantage. When the dollar is doing good against the US buck we buy down there and vice versa.
I don't see it as much from people in the US. And tell your wife I am only trying to save HER money!
And tell her my parents WERE married.

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hey man only trying to help. But it is a real eye opener when you take a look at it. Living up here we try to use this to our advantage. When the dollar is doing good against the US buck we buy down there and vice versa.
I don't see it as much from people in the US. And tell your wife I am only trying to save HER money!

Maybe I have this wrong, but isn't the US dollar only worth .7862 up there? If so, wouldn't I have to pay something like $2798 for a $2200 Canadian dollar guitar.

Blaze
March 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Maybe I have this wrong, but isn't the US dollar only worth .7862 up there? If so, wouldn't I have to pay something like $2798 for a $2200 Canadian dollar guitar.

Go the other way 2200cad =1730usd, we canadian guy know a lot about it..

so 1750cad = 1379usd

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?amt=1&from=CAD&to=USD&submit=Convert#from=CAD;to=USD;amt=2200

just strum
March 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Go the other way 2200cad =1730usd, we canadian guy know a lot about it..

so 1750cad = 1379usd

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?amt=1&from=CAD&to=USD&submit=Convert#from=CAD;to=USD;amt=2200

Ah, I see. I was thinking if I went to the bank to exchange US to CAN they would give me .78 CAD for every dollar.

Hmmm, starting to look really attractive now!!! Hmmm, maybe I'll rent a car and buy a Camero to drive back with my new guitar.

ZMAN
March 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM

No your dollar is worth 1.27 as of todays rate. I was using the last one I saw on Friday. OUR dollar is worth .78 cents. For every 100 US it costs us 1.27 plus what ever the bank charges. You get 100 Can. for 78.60.
We travel down there all the time and I keep 1000 to 1500 in a US account so I am always checking the rates. Buy low if possible.
And Blazes is correct, but you have to also take in the fact that those prices are only asking prices you can haggle below that for sure.
Camaros are at a premium though.