PDA

View Full Version : Not on e-bay: Used 1930 Martin OM-45, Some Wear, Up for Grabs

wingsdad
March 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Since Roy Rogers is still a local icon here, where he & his wife, Dale Evans were laid to rest after 5 decades as our most famous residents, the local paper reported this yesterday on its website, and it was on page 1 of this morning's paper:

Christies Auction -Roy Rogers OM-45 (http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5185535)

So, if you fear fake Gibsons on e-bay and are leary of rapists and thieves lurking on craigslist, take a gander around Christies...Roy's OM-45 is Lot#37 among the other guitars posted in Sale #2152. There's a couple of nice 335's and LP's worthy of investing in...

Christies Sale 2152 (http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/searchresults.aspx?intSaleID=22099#action=refine&intSaleID=22099&sid=b0ba1a19-9daf-4615-8f30-aa7f02e5e555)

luvmyshiner
March 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM
WOW Wingsdad! That guitar is a piece of history.

oldguy
March 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
That looks nice.
I wonder if the proceeds go to his grandson?
He seemed, shall we say, less-than-popular around Branson when we were there. I didn't meet him, tho.

wingsdad
March 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Well, not to his grandson, OG...it's more like to aid in the survival of the RR Museum & Opry Hall in Branson, dreams of Roy & Dale back when the museum was still here while they were alive. This OM-45 was actually on display there, along with loads of Roy's trash & trinkets, and i was lucky enough to visit there, where Roy often would just hang out to greet visitors.

After Roy & Dale passed and were laid to rest, the Rogers family packed it all up, auctioned some stuff, and moved it to Branson. The property around the museum that what was to be developed into 'RogersDale' was sold to the city and they developed it into an Auto Dealer Plaza, with other retail across the street.

The news hit a couple of weeks ago here that the Branson Museum is deep in the hole and needs to raise cash or will face closing. The hint was tossed to the community here to open their wallets and contribute.

It looks like this OM-45 may be the most valuable item of what may be more things to come. I mean, Trigger's stuffed, he used to be here and they took him to Branson, but...

I'm pretty sure the story on p. 1 of today's paper was meant to rekindle that appeal. I could be wrong, but I expect that in the next couple of days, a few of the local old-timer landed gentry here that were close to the Rogers Family may pool resources to try and buy it.

markb
March 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Any prewar OM is a rare thing. OM-45s even more so, there were only 40 built between 1930 and 1932 (ref:The Martin Book - Walter Carter). But Roy Rogers' OM45!!!!

lurcher
March 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
There's some interesting items in there. The '53 LP took my eye but I think it is undervalued. The '61 LPSG Custom has been on offer for a while at £10,500 and no takers. I suspect that may be a good deal if you happen to have a bit of cash lying around.(I sold mine for £230 back in '77 ****)

Brian