PDA

View Full Version : :-( Neurologist tomorrow - my left arm...

Jimi75
March 16th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Hey folks,

I have to go to the neurologist tomorrow. I currently suffer from "slight" numbness in my left pinky, ringfinger and partially in the palm below the pinky. These are symptoms for the "ulnaris syndrom". All this started about 10 days ago and I went to my family doctor immediately who gave me a referral to the neurologist. The neurologist will measure the conductibility of my ulnaris nerv. I "want" to doubt that guitar playing is the reason for it, but it seems that 20 years of constant playing could have their effect on this nerv. Best case is that I have to wear a kind of splint over night and to stop playing guitar for 4-6 weeks to give my nerv a rest. Worst case is an operation where they delocate the nerv and bolster it with body tissue. I will let you know what the neurologist said.

The family doc said there is no reason to worry about stopping guitar playing. The operation if needed, is routine and afterwards I will play better than before :whatever:

I am currently following my practicing schedule that I made up some 2 weeks ago and it feels great. I have no use for a "tragedy" right now!

Please cross your fingers for me - more update on this tomorrow. :confused:

oldguy
March 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Fingers crossed and much mojo sent your way, Jimi!:)

street music
March 16th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Good luck Jimi, hang in there and check with a good Chiropractor.

Jimi75
March 16th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Good luck Jimi, hang in there and check with a good Chiropractor.

Chiropractor is the next on my list. :AOK:

R_of_G
March 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Best of luck Jimi. I hope it all turns out all right for you.

evenkeel
March 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Best of luck. Let us know what happens!!!

Robert
March 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Hope it's nothing. Finger crossed.

luvmyshiner
March 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Mojo sent Jimi

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Best wishes, thoughts and prayers your way Jimi!

sumitomo
March 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
You got it Jimi,put a word in with the Great Physician too.Sumi:D

Brian Krashpad
March 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Mojo and prayers!

Bloozcat
March 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Chiropractor is the next on my list. :AOK:

I can't recall which vertabrae it is - possibly between C4 & C5 (C5 root) that can cause numbness in the extrenities. There is a nerve bundle there (C5 root) that affects the arms. C4 compresses against C5 which causes pressure on the C5 root nerve bundle...or something like that. I remember the chiropractor explaining it once, but I'm a little unsure exactly which it was.

It's a pretty routine back adjustment to treat this, though...provided there's no nerve damage. Sometimes it takes a few adjustments spaced a week apart to work.

Hopefully, that's all it will take for you Jimi.....:AOK:

piebaldpython
March 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Best of luck with the neurologist. Are you anywhere near Klinikum Winterberg in Saarbruecken??? That's where we were for 6 weeks with Baby Cobra. Can't say enough GREAT things about the care we received. Blows away any care we received in a USA hospital.

tyoc
March 16th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Stealing a little the thread, how can one do to not develop this problem? I mean Im a programmer and need to stay at less half a day in front of a computer (if not a whole day!!!) that in time will develop me a problem at my hand (dont know how is called), but now reading, I see that a similar problem can by developed playing guitar? (I was thinking that playing guitar will help me not develop this types of problems :thwap:, shame on me).

Is there any exercises that I can do for not develop any of this 2?

Jimi75
March 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks to you all fro your kind wishes and advices!!!

although owning his video for many years I never really cared for warming up before playing. And I am not talking about finger warm ups, I'm talking about warm ups without the guitar. I know it's not Rock An Roll, but maybe a little warm up before playing is better...

e9tCQftFIAs

marnold
March 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on T.V., but I had something that sounds pretty similar a while back. Thankfully, a couple chiropractor trips (plus adjusting the way I play guitar) took care of it. I hope it's something similar for you.

SuperSwede
March 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Fingers crossed! Keep the faith :)

markb
March 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM
All the best, Jimi.

tjcurtin1
March 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hoping that all proves to be minor, Jimi!

mrmudcat
March 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Dont trust doctors but hope ya get better brother!!

bigoldron
March 16th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Mojo and prayers!

What he said. Good luck Brother!

Algonquin
March 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
All the best for a speedy recovery!... being down isn't great, hopefully it's short lived.

David