PDA

View Full Version : Went to Guitar Center on Saturday

scgmhawk
March 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I played a bunch of strats and teles on Saturday at Guitar Center (my first GC visit by the way). I played both MIMs and USA models and was very disappointed in the workmanship. I had heard that Fenders were hit or miss and I saw it with my own eyes. Are you really expected to have to do major fret work after dropping $1200 or more for a USA made Fender? The fret ends were all sharp on the strats -- the tele fretwork was better. All I could think was that GC put the blems out on the floor since they know they're going to get beat up. If that's the case, I would understand.

I have to say the nicest playing guitar with the best workmanship that I played was an Indonesian Schecter (I forget the model). They are not really my style but I was impressed by the workmanship. If I played metal :rockon: , I would definitely look at that brand.

kiteman
March 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Your experience with the guitars was quite revealing wasn't it?

The big names don't seem to cut it anymore and the Indo made guitar impressed you just like the Agile LP I had did. :)

I'm glad I went Carvin. USA made and quality to boot without the ridiculous price.

tunghaichuan
March 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I've had the same experience. Most of the new Fenders I've tried have been crap. Poorly put together, poorly finished, not set up properly. I would never buy a new guitar from GC. They've been coasting on their name for decades.

Without exception, every Schecter I've played has been well made, well finished and well setup despite the country of origin. Schecter quality control is excellent. I would have no problem buying one of them.

The one Carvin I tried was excellent. Well made and perfectly finished. I returned it for other reasons.

tung

I played a bunch of strats and teles on Saturday at Guitar Center (my first GC visit by the way). I played both MIMs and USA models and was very disappointed in the workmanship. I had heard that Fenders were hit or miss and I saw it with my own eyes. Are you really expected to have to do major fret work after dropping $1200 or more for a USA made Fender? The fret ends were all sharp on the strats -- the tele fretwork was better. All I could think was that GC put the blems out on the floor since they know they're going to get beat up. If that's the case, I would understand.

I have to say the nicest playing guitar with the best workmanship that I played was an Indonesian Schecter (I forget the model). They are not really my style but I was impressed by the workmanship. If I played metal :rockon: , I would definitely look at that brand.

marnold
March 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
One tech from my area always gripes about Fender fret sprout. It's an easy fix, but it still shouldn't be there in the first place. I've noticed it when I happen to pick one up too. It's not "shred my hands" sharp, but it's enough to be very annoying on a guitar that you would drop a grand on.

In the interest of full disclosure, my Korean-made Fender has absolutely no fret sprout at all. My Floyd will develop a tiniest bit of it when it is very cold and dry out. It's so insignificant to me that it's not worth fixing, IMO. My Spector is sprout-free too.

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
You know, it is interesting. When I was shopping for my first electric in late '06, I was looking mostly at MIM's and especially the 60th Anniversary one, and the Highway Ones. I did not find fret sprout on any of the ones I tried. In fact the neck on my guitar is one of the things I love the most. I wonder if things have changed since then. I have not looked at any new Fenders in a while.

Rx Tone
March 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I think PRS is by far the best American made guitar. Which would make it one of the best guitars made.
:D

scgmhawk
March 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I hadn't played a Fender in a while. I grew up with a Stratocaster in the 70's and 80's and loved it (and sold it:confused: ). Anyway, I've read on line that the QC is hit or miss. I suppose with any large production operation you're going to have that issue. Believe me when I say I'm not speaking for every Fender guitar, obviously! I guess just "buyer beware" if you don't have a chance to play it first.

That being said, I really want to play one of the new Charvel So Cals. Very cool looking and Fender is parent company. I've seen good reviews.

hubberjub
March 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I think PRS is by far the most overpriced American made guitar. Which would make it one of the best guitars made.
:D

Fixed:poke:

street music
March 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I posted pretty much the same comment from my first visit 2 weeks ago to GC, then this weekend I went to a store closer to home with their new FENDER MIM stock that had arrived. I found a little better quailty in what they had and no sharp fret ends on the 3 that I tried. Fender's big price increase is not something that indicates improvements in their line. IMO

Rx Tone
March 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Fixed:poke:

oh, you can't afford one, huh?...well, they're generally only owned by serious players with discerning taste who know what to look for and can recognize a quality guitar anyway.

:rotflmao:

:AOK:

mrmudcat
March 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Is that what you PRS tell yourselves:D :rotflmao: :bravo:

bigoldron
March 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Is that what you PRS tell yourselves:D :rotflmao: :bravo:

You have to. Otherwise, how do you justify that price tag? :poke:

Rx Tone
March 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well, it's called "craftsmanship" and attention to detail.
Some people prefer laminated plywood toy guitars with fotoflame tops..and some people prefer the real thing.

hubberjub
March 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
oh, you can't afford one, huh?...well, they're generally only owned by serious players with discerning taste who know what to look for and can recognize a quality guitar anyway.

:AOK:

I'm just joking with you man. I have paid more for guitars. I would put my Modulus or Heritage 535 up against any current PRS I've played. PRS still makes a great guitar. I just can't justify spending that much on a CNC made guitar (Gibson and Fender are in the same boat). It's all subjective. I think PRS has a great marketing department.

Rx Tone
March 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm just joking with you man. I have paid more for guitars. I would put my Modulus or Heritage 535 up against any current PRS I've played. PRS still makes a great guitar. I just can't justify spending that much on a CNC made guitar (Gibson and Fender are in the same boat). It's all subjective. I think PRS has a great marketing department.

I know, bro..I'm joking too..I think this is the funniest thread of the day.:beer:

Plank_Spanker
March 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I just can't justify spending that much on a CNC made guitar (Gibson and Fender are in the same boat).

Not to be an a$$, but what's wrong with CNC? If the wood selection is good, and the machine programming is good, you're looking at great consistancy. A guitar doesn't have to be hand carved and rubbed to be a great one. I see nothing wrong with CNC guitars.

BluezOldy
March 17th, 2009, 01:32 AM
... Anyway, I've read on line that the QC is hit or miss. I suppose with any large production operation you're going to have that issue. ....

Another issue with poor quality control is that people who do buy a good one pay for all the ones rejected by customers that are sent back - Fender, or whomever, is not going to wear those costs.

Rocket
March 17th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Not to be an a$$, but what's wrong with CNC? If the wood selection is good, and the machine programming is good, you're looking at great consistancy. A guitar doesn't have to be hand carved and rubbed to be a great one. I see nothing wrong with CNC guitars.
+1

hubberjub
March 17th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Nothing is wrong with CNC. It should be turning out a very good and consistent product. As an owner of two Gibsons and three USA Fenders I feel comfortable stating that quality can vary greatly on these instruments. Also, CNC was implemented as a cost cutting mechanism yet the consumer is not seeing any cut in cost. I'm not trying to insult anyone as I own CNC guitars too. I just feel that there are better guitars for the money.

kiteman
March 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I have one hand made guitar and two CNC made guitars.

Can't see any difference.

Plank_Spanker
March 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Nothing is wrong with CNC. It should be turning out a very good and consistent product. As an owner of two Gibsons and three USA Fenders I feel comfortable stating that quality can vary greatly on these instruments. Also, CNC was implemented as a cost cutting mechanism yet the consumer is not seeing any cut in cost. I'm not trying to insult anyone as I own CNC guitars too. I just feel that there are better guitars for the money.

I agree that CNC was introduced to cut manufacturing cost, but that doesn't mean the the company should lower prices accordingly....................the demand and market will anchor the price, and it increases the profit margin for the company. Just how many mass marketed guitar manufacturers are still eschewing CNC methods and going the full blown hand built route? My guess? Very few, if any.

As far a quality variations go, that applies to any manufacturing method. CNC doesn't hold the monopoly in quality variations, nor is CNC a benchmark of inferior quality. If anything, "hand built" guitars will be more susceptible to quality variations than CNC guitars.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just don't understand your blanket aversion to CNC manufactured guitars. Personally, I don't really care how a guitar is made as long as it does what I need it to do and makes me happy.

I'm not insulted here, and I certainly hope you are not. This is just good discussion. :D

hubberjub
March 17th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I agree that CNC was introduced to cut manufacturing cost, but that doesn't mean the the company should lower prices accordingly....................the demand and market will anchor the price, and it increases the profit margin for the company. Just how many mass marketed guitar manufacturers are still eschewing CNC methods and going the full blown hand built route? My guess? Very few, if any.

As far a quality variations go, that applies to any manufacturing method. CNC doesn't hold the monopoly in quality variations, nor is CNC a benchmark of inferior quality. If anything, "hand built" guitars will be more susceptible to quality variations than CNC guitars.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just don't understand your blanket aversion to CNC manufactured guitars. Personally, I don't really care how a guitar is made as long as it does what I need it to do and makes me happy.

I'm not insulted here, and I certainly hope you are not. This is just good discussion. :D

In no way am I insulted. I know you are a Gibson man. They are some of the most historically significant guitars ever built and still remain to be a trend setting company. In terms of the cost cutting being passed down to the customer, I am an economics freak and understand the reasons as to why they remain at the price they do. I am more upset by the recent Fender price increases which seem to be way out of line. My biggest gripe with Gibson is their occasionally poor paint shop. When you find a good one it's great but I can't tell you how many orange peeled Gibsons are sitting at my local GC. I hope no one is offended by my snobbish guitar opinions. I draw attention away from my poor playing by claiming to have a superior knowledge of gear. It's just a ploy to make me feel better about myself.

Plank_Spanker
March 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I hope no one is offended by my snobbish guitar opinions. I draw attention away from my poor playing by claiming to have a superior knowledge of gear. It's just a ploy to make me feel better about myself.

It's not snobbish. You just know what you want - and there's nothing wrong with that at all.