PDA

View Full Version : I've found my sound!

pie_man_25
March 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
:dude: oh yeah, I've just recently joined a ska band, and we had our first practice yesterday. I brought along my fender jazz, and my warwick pro fet stack (410 cab). I've sort of been noodling around, and haven't been able to find any sound that excited me, but I managed to pull something off I've been looking for for months, I used both pickups, and boosted both high and low on the EQ, and I got a sound (even with my worn out d'addario medium guage nickel plated strings) that was very clanky, perfect for slapping, but sounded very impressive when picking as well (this was after all the ska stuff was practiced, and we were just noodling around, and got some heavier:rockon: , funkier, and mellower stuff too), it sounded absolutely tremendous when playing with fingers as well, with plenty of twang, attack, and girth the sound kept everybody in the groove:dude: , and the guitarist and I, there are no horns, were jumping, it was terrific . The midrange scoop seems to sound a million times better than I thought, and I think that's the sound I'll use live. just to ask, do you think that sound would go with ska:confused: ?

Suhnton
March 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I think the most important factor is how it sounds with the rest of the band. If it works, then keep it. For me, reggae and ska bass is very woolly, with very little attack (treble-wise) but a LOT of low end. I realize the following vid is dub not ska, but it's just to give you an idea of what I'm trying to describe. Good luck with the band.

cdKOzXFWIPQ

tjcurtin1
March 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Pie! Long time no hear - or maybe I've been on the wrong side of the forum... Anyway, good to hear from you, and I wanted to say that I love the last quote in your signature. Good luck with the new band!

Brian Krashpad
March 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Congrats on the sound. If it works, it works. Definitely does not sound like a traditional ska bass sound though.

pie_man_25
March 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
thanks a lot eh? I haven't been on in a while, just haven't had the time, with school, and trying to find a job, and women. But yeah, it definitely isn't a traditional ska sound, but I think, at least right now when horns aren't in yet, it sounds great. I am thinking of going back to flatwounds though, or at least when I finish my ne P-bass project I'll put flats on it for a bassier sound.