PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these 2 amps would you pick?

Robert
March 17th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I'd pick the Peavey. Much more amph for the money. I find the Blues Junior overpriced for a 15 watt mass produced amp. The Peavey also sounds very good and is loud enough for any gig I would every do. It doesn't have the boxiness the BJ has either.

How about you? Please explain your choice.

Algonquin
March 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm a bit biased on this one I guess, as I've got the PV30. When I bought my Classic 30 last year, the price was around $600 new, and the Blues Jr was just under $450. Both were good, but I was drawn to the Peavey and I don't regret it a bit. Mind you, I wouldn't mind having both, but the Peavey seemed to do it for me. I've recently retubed the amp and went with a set that increased my clean headroom, but I lose on the dirt channel... a trade off I guess. I did like the OD quite a bit, but I felt the PV30 lacked the clean I was looking for. I've played a JC-120 for so long now I've become accustomed to having it clean and using OD pedals for drive, it seemed the way to go for me.

Lately I've been using a Boss Stereo Chorus in the effects loop of the PV, and the second output into the JC and I find it sounds good... I mean really good! I'm not sure if some of the characteristics of the PV30 are carried over into the Roland, but It's a nice little setup for my needs. I mean no disrespect for the Blues Jr, but I'll stick with my Classic thanks :AOK:

street music
March 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Robert , this may be the only Peavey that I would pick over that Fender, I just don't get why these amps are being priced so high? Are they really trying to drive people away.
I'm more into clean channels but find that some overdrive and a little distortion can be alright with the right songs and good players(which I'm not).
I'm more a classic rock guy and Fender has always been high on my list.

markb
March 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I picked the Peavey for its more gig-friendly power. Plus, the Peavey's reverb is footswitchable and its drive channel is usable without an OD pedal. I borrowed a C30 for the local jam a few weeks back, very nice indeed after a bit of dialling in time. The BJ is also a bit mid-focussed for a Fender so I've no tonal preference.
But, I did gig a BJ for three years using a TS808ri (mostly) for leads without running out of headroom. In the end it'd come down to the one I could get used at the right price rather than buy new for RRP.

duhvoodooman
March 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I own a Blues Jr. and love it, but $600 is too much for this little 15W amp. Then again, they don't cost $600!! The base model is $500 and can be found for less on sale. Good sounding little amp, and easily/cheaply modified to sound even better.

Ch0jin
March 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Well I went for the Fender because I already own a Peavey Ultra 112 so that'd be the obvious choice for me.

That said, I'm actually more attracted to the Fender hotrod deluxe (especially the tweed one....yummmmm)

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I own my Peavey, and really enjoy it. (I paid about $350 used). I don't need much else. I tried a Blues Jr. at a gig where I got to stand in a bit with the band playing at the party, and I enjoyed it. But then I set up my own Peavey and I thought my sound was better. I pick the Peavey.

Spudman
March 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
That said, I'm actually more attracted to the Fender hotrod deluxe (especially the tweed one....yummmmm)
Not in the poll.:poke: :D

I'd take the C30 hands down. After years of using one to make money with it has totally proven itself to be a great workhorse amph. I've found it to be reliable and adaptable to humbuckers, single coils, hollowbodies or what ever I plug into it. However, there are so many used ones available I would never pay $600 for a new one (not that it's part of the poll).:D

sunvalleylaw
March 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I want to add that I picked that amph (over the Vox AD50VT I was looking at) after researching it here, and listening to StingX's really nice clips, and getting advice from Spudley, posting just above this one. Mine came with a nice "pleather" dust cover and the foot switch, and I have been very happy with it. This place helped me pick a good amph that I have no regrets buying. As the poll is worded, I would spend the $599 on the Peavey.

Robert
March 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I want to add that I picked that amph (over the Vox AD50VT I was looking at) after researching it here, and listening to StingX's really nice clips, and getting advice from Spudley, posting just above this one. Mine came with a nice "pleather" dust cover and the foot switch, and I have been very happy with it. This place helped me pick a good amph that I have no regrets buying. As the poll is worded, I would spend the $599 on the Peavey.

Sounds like you should spend the money on beer for Spudley and Stingx! haha :pancake: :D

mrmudcat
March 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I chose the peavey but me and the mudkitty's own a hotrod deluxe(limited ed. green v-30 celestion stock speaker):dude:

Ch0jin
March 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Not in the poll.:poke: :D

Hence why I voted Fender BJ :poke: :poke:

Blaze
March 18th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Haven t try the Blues Junior but did try the Peavy wich i found versatile , handy & pretty powerfull..

I d consider this one too..http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=251

Blazes (http://www.bluetracks.ca/labels/blazes?label_renomme=blazes&label_renomme=blazes&screen_width=1280&change_lang=en)
:AOK:

birv2
March 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I think the Blues Jr is overpriced at $600. I realize it's just between these two amps, but the price of older Fender amps (like Princetons) is coming down on Ebay into the $800 range. Makes me wonder why anyone would get a new BJ (or HRDX, for that matter).

I haven't played through that Peavey, but I've heard them and they sounded good.

hubberjub
March 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM
If I had to choose between those I'd pick the Peavey. I use to gig with a friend of mine's Classic 50 and I thought it sounded pretty good. For the same price I'd rather get the Vox AC15cc. I think that's a great sounding amp and not just for the price. This is coming from a gear snob too.

Spudman
March 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Sounds like you should spend the money on beer for Spudley and Stingx! haha :pancake: :D

What a great idea. Oh, I don't think StingX even drinks...so...:)

just strum
March 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Peavey. Always heard good things, with little to no negative comments.

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Peavey. Always heard good things, with little to no negative comments.

The main negative you hear about is tube rattle, which can happen, but has not been a particular problem for me.

just strum
March 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
The main negative you hear about is tube rattle, which can happen, but has not been a particular problem for me.

I never heard that, but I would assume it's an easy fix, yes?

I guess the only thing negative I've heard is that eventually you won't be able to hear anything if you are using it as a bedroom amp. LOUD!!!

markb
March 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Tom's Tube Tamer (http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=192273&ck) fixes that for older C30s. The new ones don't need it.

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Yep, I have a Tom's tube tamer. Like I said, not an issue for me, and does not in any way change my answer. Strum, I play mine at house volumes all the time, and while I am not really opening the amph when I do that, it sounds darn good, articulate, and warm to me for my home playing.

just strum
March 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yep, I have a Tom's tube tamer. Like I said, not an issue for me, and does not in any way change my answer. Strum, I play mine at house volumes all the time, and while I am not really opening the amph when I do that, it sounds darn good, articulate, and warm to me for my home playing.

Interesting. I know you read a lot of times that there is a loss of quality when you are not turning some tube amps up. I came close to buying one a while back, but I was concerned that it might be "too much" amp for the little room and I would lose some of the quality of tone.

I'll keep that in mind if a deal comes around.

sunvalleylaw
March 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM
If you are really looking for a truly bedroom amph, I think the Blackheart Little Giant might beat it. But that is not what the thread is about.

Ch0jin
March 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Interesting. I know you read a lot of times that there is a loss of quality when you are not turning some tube amps up. I came close to buying one a while back, but I was concerned that it might be "too much" amp for the little room and I would lose some of the quality of tone.

I'll keep that in mind if a deal comes around.

I'd support that theory. My Peavey Ultra is double the classic 30's power and it's too loud for a townhouse with the master volume anything above 1.5. It still sounds good down there, in fact it's the usable low volume tone of the Peavey that made me pick it over a Fender Hod Rod some 15 odd years ago, but on the occasions I've been able to crank it up, it sure sounds a whole lot better.

In the 15+ years I've owned the Ultra it's had one set of 6L6's and a fuse replaced, and now there is a heat related intermittent issue with the reverb not engaging until the amp warms up. (That I've been too lazy to fix..damn PCB amps...) 15 Years and 2 tubes and a fuse. Thats just awful reliability ;)

TS808
March 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Both amps are actually good amps. I've owned them both in the past. What I didn't like about the Blues Jr. is that volume control that Fender is famous for on their hotrod series...go from 0 to 4 and it really jumps.

Both have their own unique sound and both are credible quality amps. Personally, I've always liked Fender amps but own a Peavey Delta Blues 210 right now.

Both are also reputable, quality companies that often get trashed by people who obviously have neither played either.

As far as Fender's thinking with their price increases? I have NO IDEA what they were thinking.

schenkadere
March 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Peavey is much more for the $$$

gndboy
November 24th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Classic 30 is the only Peavy amp I ever cared for. Very nice. In any case, $600 is way too much for either box in my opinion. Best musician I ever worked with plays the Blues Junior and he wrings that thing out; for me playing I would do the C30. Remember those absolutely horrible Peavy solid-state bass amps and cabs from the 'eighties? That's pretty much what I will always think of the stuff from Meridian.

guitarhack
November 24th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I'll take the C30, too. Of course, I have one (and a C20) and love it. To me it boils down to bang for the buck and I find the Peavey wins there every time. I like the BJ, but just not for that kind of money.

kiteman
November 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM
BJr is $600 ?? Is it wired with gold wire or what ??

I had a BJr for $400 and it was a good amp, took pedals very well. Now at that price I'll take the Peavey C30.

EDIT: now I feel better about spending $899 for the Alchemist 112. :dance

duhvoodooman
November 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM
No, they're not $600! I'm not sure why this poll got set up that way!!

The standard model (black tolex, Eminence speaker) typically goes for $500 and the upscale NOS Tweed version with an upgraded Jensen speaker is $579. Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fender%26%23174%3B+-+Blues+Jr.%26%23153%3B+15-Watt+Guitar+Tube+Amplifier/7922091.p?skuId=7922091&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7922091&ref=06&loc=01&id=1214611417610) is listing the standard model for $449, which is what a new one went for a couple of years back when I bought mine used on eBay.

Because this has been a big seller for Fender for many years now, it's quite easy to find used ones in good to excellent condition for $300 - $350. And they're easily modified with relatively inexpensive kits to improve their tone, which is quite good to begin with. The "boxiness" label that is often hung on this little amp is markedly reduced with just a couple of cap changes.

BTW, if you're a home player like many of us, 30W is really too much power in a tube amp. I had a Peavey Delta Blues for a while--essentially the same amp as the Classic 30 but with onboard tremolo and a 15" speaker--and it sounded great but was just too freakin' loud in my "man cave".

Robert
November 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM
This one is $579 - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-NOS-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483711&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=44750936

The point wasn't the exact current price, but which you would pick if those were the prices the day you walked in to the store, being in amp-buying mode.

Interesting to see that the Peavey Classic won this poll with a landslide. :)

Commodore 64
November 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I'd buy both on Craig's list. My BJr. was 275, so that leaves me 300 for a Peavey!

MAXIFUNK
November 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Classic 30 Hands down~

kidsmoke
November 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Mentioned this in another thread, but in Chicago currently, you buy a BJr, brand new, black, for $375.00

Still, I'm intriqued by the C30, although, to DVM's point, you're never gonna use that power at home.

MAXIFUNK
November 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM

I had a BJr for $400 and it was a good amp, took pedals very well. Now at that price I'll take the Peavey C30.

EDIT: now I feel better about spending $899 for the Alchemist 112. :dance

Those amps are not in the same league of the bogner

duhvoodooman
November 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
This one is $579 - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Series-Blues-Junior-NOS-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483711&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=44750936
Yes it is. And THIS ONE (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fender%26%23174%3B+-+Blues+Jr.%26%23153%3B+15-Watt+Guitar+Tube+Amplifier/7922091.p?skuId=7922091&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7922091&ref=06&loc=01&id=1214611417610) is $450. Though it normally sells for $500 most places, it can usually be found for less. The one for $579 is an upgraded version, not the base model.

The point wasn't the exact current price, but which you would pick if those were the prices the day you walked in to the store, being in amp-buying mode.
Begging your pardon, but the poll offers two choices: A Peavey Classic 30 for $599 or a Fender Blues Junior for $599. The difference is that one actually sells at that price and one doesn't. Sorry if I'm being a stickler for accuracy, but that's how I'm wired.

Interesting to see that the Peavey Classic won this poll with a landslide. :)
And I wonder how the results would have come out if the Blues Junior had been listed at it's proper price. I agree that the Peavey is the better overall value, and that Fender gets some extra $$ just for their name. I just don't think the Blues Junior got a fair shake in this poll.

We're obviously not going to agree on this, so let's stop arguing....

Commodore 64
November 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Was the blues jr. $599 CAD in March of 2009 when the poll was made?

Robert
November 24th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Was the blues jr. $599 CAD in March of 2009 when the poll was made?

I honestly don't remember, but I would assume so - that must have been why I added the poll. I think I referred to whatever most expensive variant of the Blues JR available at the time.

DVM, this poll is very outdated and doesn't reflect the prices today. So it's not fair to the Blues JR - I agree with you buddy.

Kind of pointless to bring this old thread back to life, eh?