PDA

View Full Version : Small question on sweep picking

Jimi75
March 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Hey folks,

I am stuck in a catch-22.
I am currently practicing 5-string sweep picking arpeggios and I do not know how to pick at the "end of the arpeggio". Down or up, if I go down again ???

Example of a gmaj arp played up and back:
e: 10 --> 7 (pull off)
b: 8 up
g: 7 up
d: 9 up
a: 10 up or down????????????
d: 9 down
g: 7 down
b: 8 down
e: 7 --> 10 down / hammer on
If I play a: 10 down I have outside picking, if I move up I have inside picking.
I have to determine how to pick before going on with practicing. There is no concrete video on youtube that deals with this topic. Most of the guys there play another pull of at the end of ther 5.string sweeps and for this form it is clear that you pick up and not down.

Can anyone help? Robert maybe here with a hint for me?

Thanks
Jimi75

thearabianmage
March 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I would take the Petrucci road and practice them both. Then, whichever occasion arises in the future, you are prepared.

Jimi75
March 18th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks Mage! The good old Petrucci way...
Well, actually I want ONE effective way. If I had to be prepared for all occasions I would need three times the time to practice. I am looking for one shape.

Robert
March 18th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I would to it "up" but it is very difficult for me in any case. I am not proficient in going from up on one string and then down on the next string below. Very hard for me.

Jimi75
March 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I am not proficient in going from up on one string and then down on the next string below. Very hard for me.

Robert, thank you very much. Does your answer imply that you are also more of a economy picker than an alternate picker? Although being more of an economy picker, I feel the down stroke here more natural which is out of the ordinary for my playing style...?!?!?

Blaze
March 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hope this help..

RBT6S_Q4vyc

92Uzh_Tyrgc&feature

Blazes (http://www.bluetracks.ca/labels/blazes?label_renomme=blazes&label_renomme=blazes&screen_width=1280&change_lang=en)
:AOK:

Robert
March 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Robert, thank you very much. Does your answer imply that you are also more of a economy picker than an alternate picker? Although being more of an economy picker, I feel the down stroke here more natural which is out of the ordinary for my playing style...?!?!?

No, I am neither. I have a different style - I am a "hammer-on and pull-off picker". :) I avoid picking or sweeping every note, partly because my technique for it is not adequate, and partly because I like the sound of hammer-ons and pull-offs and slided notes better. In addition, I can better express myself with my technique, since it it gives me more room for how each note is interpreted - sometimes I'll slide in a note, sometimes a "late" hammer-on, etc. Those other techniques tend sound very static, which I don't enjoy listening to.

Hope that makes sense.

Jimi75
March 18th, 2009, 07:22 AM
No, I am neither. I have a different style - I am a "hammer-on and pull-off picker". :) I avoid picking or sweeping every note, partly because my technique for it is not adequaty, and partly because I like the sound of hammer-ons and pull-offs and slided notes better. In addition, I can better express myself with my technique, since it it gives me more room for how each note is interpreted - sometimes I'll slide in a note, sometimes a "late" hammer-on, etc. Those other techniques tend sound very static, which I don't enjoy listening to.

Hope that makes sense.

Wow, that's a great answer Robert and it bears much information!
Watching your picking hand in your videos it often looks like you pick every
note. I really thought you are a very accurate picker Robert :bravo:
Mixing legato style with picking style is pretty cool. You know, I'm currently on a mission to get my technique the most accurate it can get.

Robert
March 18th, 2009, 07:31 AM
If you asked me, I'd say focus on playing hip and tasty lines, and the technique will follow. Music first - technique second - that's what I subscribe to.

Jimi75
March 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM
If you asked me, I'd say focus on playing hip and tasty lines, and the technique will follow. Music first - technique second - that's what I subscribe to.

+1000, but there's always lines that do not sound that accurate that I would like them to sound like...

@Blazes:
Thanks for the videos. I will check them when I get home.

tyoc
March 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I think I'm actually the other way, because I have barely playing in my free time any songs, instead, I have been learning a little about scales Im going to chords right now but I guess I need to watch more about this, or stick to learn scales a little more (memorize them, feel them). For play with a friend I need to learn the Accompanying of about 20 songs they are almost rock and metal (60s to today I guess) but I haven't studied them much for the moment.

So for enter a little in the "hip and tasty" I guess there are some suguestions to play?

Robert
March 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I think I'm actually the other way, because I have barely playing in my free time any songs, instead, I have been learning a little about scales Im going to chords right now but I guess I need to watch more about this, or stick to learn scales a little more (memorize them, feel them). For play with a friend I need to learn the Accompanying of about 20 songs they are almost rock and metal (60s to today I guess) but I haven't studied them much for the moment.

So for enter a little in the "hip and tasty" I guess there are some suguestions to play?

I just mean play something that sounds good. Transcribing ideas from other musicians is one of the best things you can ever do for this.

I try to spend time playing something that sounds good, not to be a guitar god of scale practice or sweeping arpeggios, etc - if you get my drift.

Jimi75
March 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I try to spend time playing something that sounds good, not to be a guitar god of scale practice or sweeping arpeggios, etc - if you get my drift.

Ahh most of you know my playing and know for being a melodic player - I do not want to become Mr Robocop from the Scale Police. I need some of the stuff for musical ideas I have in my head.

Robert, you are right, being musical is more important than becoming The King Of Scales.

:master: