PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Bill Frisell

R_of_G
March 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I've let a bunch of musical birthdays slip by without posting, but I'm not letting Frisell's slip by. By now most of you guys know that I love pretty much every project Frisell has done. He is one of the most unique guitar players I have come across. He's played in an extremely wide assortment of styles and throughout all of these, he's managed to always still sound, well, like Bill Frisell.

Frisell is the guitar player who most exemplifies to me that the tone is in then hands of the player first, then the equipment.

"And every guitarist who has ever heard Frisell has wondered how he managed to get his guitar to produce notes that swelled in volume as they sustained, like a violinist or horn player, instead of steadily fading, like the notes on everyone else’s guitar. There was talk by the bar of a clever use of compression, echo, or volume pedals. I believed this until I heard him produce the same effect on an acoustic guitar, at which point I gave up trying to understand." - Marc Ribot (Source: http://www.bombsite.com/issues/79/articles/2482)

I learn something new every time I listen to Frisell, especially phrasing.

Happy Birthday Bill.

Some of this you may have seen before, but I listen to the same Frisell stuff over and over again and it gets better every time, so what's one more listen?

Svzv-YkUzdk

8m7iXZCXv14

skw_oyYel0I

EkM3Wiy7j5Q

4VkNvfdKt54

yekGSC4xxpc

tjcurtin1
March 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM
+1000! Happy birthday, Bill - long may you play!

oldguy
March 18th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Happy B-day, Bill!
Fluid technique, very relaxing, nice choices on the vids also.
Thanks, R of G.:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
March 19th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I missed this, happy belated bday Bill!

Thanks for the vids RoG.